D&D 5E Two more Classic Settings to go

Sithlord

Adventurer
Then don't for your Eberron; but WotC Eberron has a character who moved to Sigil, so that's the canon.
The whole concept of planescape is that people from the material planes are clueless. They think they know how the planes work, but they really don’t know. It’s even like that for many native to the planes too. Sure archmages from eberron think they know how the planes work. Sure there is a book that says how the planes work. But they are clueless.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The whole concept of planescape is that people from the material planes are clueless. They think they know how the planes work, but they really don’t know. It’s even like that for many native to the planes too. Sure archmages from eberron think they know how the planes work. Sure there is a book that says how the planes work. But they are clueless.
Exactly. And that's the assumed default of the game.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
It's weird for me to get upset about the canonical cosmology. RPGs are not passive media like books or movies. When I ran my campaigns, each is set in a separate multi-verse. You can't cross between, say, my Greyhawk campaign and my FR one. It's not canonical, but it's fine for my players and me. The official version is different and that's no problem for me.

Sithlord

Adventurer
It's weird for me to get upset about the canonical cosmology. RPGs are not passive media like books or movies. When I ran my campaigns, each is set in a separate multi-verse. You can't cross between, say, my Greyhawk campaign and my FR one. It's not canonical, but it's fine for my players and me. The official version is different and that's no problem for me.
Exactly. There is a fear of not being canonical. I haven’t read even half the realms novels. If a players tells me in a game I am running that in wrong because of a book of anykind I will reply the author was wrong or embellishing or had bad sources.

Rikka66

Adventurer

The assume default inevitably ends up influencing (some) of the products created, especially non-tabletop projects. And for those invested in the canonical cosmology, it's natural to be upset by interpretations they don't agree with.

At the same time you're right, it's among the easiest things to change in your home campaign, and there's a large gap between "I don't like this" and "this is terrible and ruinous for the game". I think they'd be better off leaving it vague or list a few different views in the planar cosmology section of the DMG, but it's one of those things that doesn't really affect the game much either way.

Mercurius

Legend
I am always struck by how some treat canon like they do, say, Star Wars or Trek or Game of Thrones. I think it is a subconscious thing, but based on a slightly skewed perception, as if D&D is like other forms of "passive media."

That said, I understand mild irritation, just not the relatively common outcry.

Sithlord

Adventurer
I am always struck by how some treat canon like they do, say, Star Wars or Trek or Game of Thrones. I think it is a subconscious thing, but based on a slightly skewed perception, as if D&D is like other forms of "passive media."

That said, I understand mild irritation, just not the relatively common outcry.
The thing is a rpg has to use the marvel/dc setting idea that the published game is earth prime or earth 616. Your home game is earth 31843 or Oerth 573783. And some people get their panties in a bunch because the eberron or Oerth they are playing in is being run by a DM that deviates or ignores some canon. God forbid he create his own subclass. Who does he think he is. Matt Mercer. You better have a certification to do that.

Mercurius

Legend
The thing is a rpg has to use the marvel/dc setting idea that the published game is earth prime or earth 616. Your home game is earth 31843 or Oerth 573783. And some people get their panties in a bunch because the eberron or Oerth they are playing in is being run by a DM that deviates or ignores some canon. God forbid he create his own subclass. Who does he think he is. Matt Mercer. You better have a certification to do that.
Yes, true, although that is the perspective of WotC (Marvel). From the perspective of an individual DM, their world may be the only world, or the only version of that world.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases