D&D 5E Two more Classic Settings to go

Sithlord

Adventurer
I'm still uncertain about Planescape. One reason WotC cancelled it back in the 90s was because they felt planar adventures should be part of core and not spun off into their own setting. During 3e, there was some amount of core material on the planes that built on Planescape. Even if they do go with Planescape, it's not likely to be presented as a separate setting but something connected directly to core. That shouldn't be a problem even with the Realms being the default now, since Toril was one of the more important worlds on the Material Plane in Planescape.

Though it's also possible a Planescape product could talk about ties to various Magic settings, given how planewalking is a thing in M:tG. That would make me laugh too, as TSR in its last days tried suing WotC over the terminology of planewalking. A M:tG/Planescape crossover would be a hilarious distant finale to that.
I don’t understand this concept that a setting is not core. If it’s not forgotten realms it is not core. Is that what you are saying. I don’t get it

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
No, it's non-core if there are special rules that are specific to that setting.

This is largely an invented term; there's no 5E publication that I've seen that places some settings as core and others not (I don't think "core setting" is ever stated anywhere). There's no set rule that says Greyhawk is "core" and therefore must have all the PHB racial options, for example.

barasawa

Explorer
As to the bahamat/paladine & tiamat/different tiamat/takhisis people are forgetting a couple of key facts.
One, this is the 5th edition, and anything that came before may no longer be true.
Two, even within the same edition they've screwed up continuity of things so many times I'm surprised there's not a joke book based on it!
That includes breaking their own official rules on how something does or doesn't work in various situations.

Besides, it's off topic as this is a thread on what old settings will be revived, not the minutia of specific characters.

Sithlord

Adventurer
As to the bahamat/paladine & tiamat/different tiamat/takhisis people are forgetting a couple of key facts.
One, this is the 5th edition, and anything that came before may no longer be true.
Two, even within the same edition they've screwed up continuity of things so many times I'm surprised there's not a joke book based on it!
That includes breaking their own official rules on how something does or doesn't work in various situations.

Besides, it's off topic as this is a thread on what old settings will be revived, not the minutia of specific characters.
Just like the comic book industry.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

It is relevant to the Dragonlance question, which is on topic.

I'm not exactly a fan of the idea that the people of Eberron are just "confused" or "idiots." It's a bit condescending in how it treats the setting as having a lesser understanding.
Less experience. The multiverse doesn't interact with Eberron, so outside of those few individuals who have actually travelled to other settings are likely to know how things work there.

I'm still not sure what Sigil has to do with anything. I'm simply saying that I don't think that an approach that condescendingly treats the people as Eberron as a bunch of ignoramuses who don't have a higher grasp of the universe does any favors for that setting. If the same was true about condescendingly treating the inhabitants of Sigil as just plain wrong, then I would also have an issue with that.

The whole concept of planescape is that people from the material planes are clueless. They think they know how the planes work, but they really don’t know. It’s even like that for many native to the planes too. Sure archmages from eberron think they know how the planes work. Sure there is a book that says how the planes work. But they are clueless.

Bear in mind that the existence of the wider multiverse and the planes is something that is commonly known in Sigil, but known by very few in Eberron. However the Sigilites are equally ignorant of how things work in Eberron. The people of Eberron have a very good idea of how its planes work, and to them, a visiting Sigilite would be ignorant.

Likewise with gods. A Sigilite probably thinks they know all about the gods of the multiverse, but would probably be surprised by the Eberron deities.
They would no doubt be reassured to find that Tiamat does have a presence there, but not that she has spent the last hundred thousand years locked under a rock by a bunch of dead snakes.

And what of Immoral level rules? ;)
What? You want another alignment discussion??

Remove ads