Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

neogod22

Explorer
counsel of wyrms setting was an odd one where you played a dragon as a player, also gave us half dragons and was one of the main reasons for dragon born we have now. Hollow world would be cool as well but that is very big and doubt could be really covered in on book as this one. Jakandor, released in 1998, is a self-contained "campaign arena" conceived by Jeff Grubb. Jakandor is an island divided between the native Charonti, a civilization that makes heavy use of magic (especially necromancy), and the Knorr, barbarians who despise the vile practice of magic and have been driven from a far-away homeland to Jakandor. Also ghost chasers setting for modern and dark matter, Urban Arcana Campaign Setting, Apocalypse which had no real setting to speak of as with past, future and cyberscape heck they could put them all into a gamma world like setting. But star fronters would may be be better for the future stuff and cyber things than gamma world. Ghostwalk was a cool one and could be done in one book but it is close to some they have done so not ure on that one. Kingdoms of Kalamar is one but again a fantisy setting so maybe not just like Lankhmar and Mahasarpa which is an asian setting but still in the fantisy vain.
Counsel of Wyrms was a pretty dope concept. I used to have it and was preparing to run a campaign. The only thing that I didn't like about it, was they did nothing to scale the dragons' powers, which would've made it hard to get people to play certain dragons.

GarrettKP

Explorer
You could have done what several playtesters did on the sly this year in regards to the Waterdeep one-two punch, and just tell us what is coming but pretend that it is a guess. ;)

I'd like to point out I am not a playtester but was one of the first to guess Waterdeep and Undermountain. Frankly, WotC doesn't need people to leak things, they are very heavy-handed in their hints and teases. Waterdeep and Undermountain were not hard guesses based on the codenames, content of live shows like DCA, and the monthly Nathan Stewart Fireside Chat. It is almost like WotC wanted people to know.

With that said, I really do think Darksun and Eberron are the summer releases and that this "something new" book is coming at the end of the year and if I had to guess right now I would say it is a modern setting, maybe even futuristic. That is the only thing I think would feel truly new!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd like to point out I am not a playtester but was one of the first to guess Waterdeep and Undermountain. Frankly, WotC doesn't need people to leak things, they are very heavy-handed in their hints and teases. Waterdeep and Undermountain were not hard guesses based on the codenames, content of live shows like DCA, and the monthly Nathan Stewart Fireside Chat. It is almost like WotC wanted people to know.

With that said, I really do think Darksun and Eberron are the summer releases and that this "something new" book is coming at the end of the year and if I had to guess right now I would say it is a modern setting, maybe even futuristic. That is the only thing I think would feel truly new!

A likely story.

GarrettKP

Explorer
A likely story.

I swear it on all my D&D products. I have no insight, tho I do wish I did. I’ve always been the kinda of person who enjoys logic puzzles and treasure hunts, and that’s what I think D&D has become. The devs intentionally let small things slip to keep fans guessing but this time they overstepped and let too much go.

And it isn’t just this time really, remember someone here figured out Tomb of Annihilation before the announcement because a Acquisitions Inc game and Drizzt Novel both mentioned Acererak, Chult and the Soul Monger months in advance. WotC has been leaving clues for a while now. All you have to do is pay attention and you’ll find the pieces of the puzzles.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
That seems like a rather unnecesary gamble. I mean, I agree that it won't be Greyhawk, but in the off chance that it is, it will be sad and weird to think of some dude on ENWorld who died because WotC chose poorly.

I fixed that for you :p

My wish: a 5E take on the default 4E setting (with an actual name for the setting) that goes beyond the Nentir Vale. I know Mearls made a 5E adaptation of Torog's wrackspawn and used the Moon Hills from the Nentir Vale (albeit a version with links to the Plane of Earth, which didn't exist in 4E) as an example area for a UA on exploration rules.

There was actually a ton of scattered details on the setting outside of the Vale, but it was never officially collected in one place. I'd also like to see the primordials and unique gods given more detail. My homebrew 5E setting primarily uses gods who were dead in the default 4E setting, like Haramathur (a god of protection), Sagawehn (a goddess of conquest and conformity whose holy symbol is ants marching in a circle), and Nesumnee (a goddess of redemption, especially for members of majority evil races, that is the child of the god of poison, darkness, and murder).

The only thing is that the World Axis cosmology was a pretty major aspect of the setting, and I don't think they want to deviate from the Great Wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yaarel

He Mage

I welcome Eberron and Darksun, and modern and near future.

I suspect none of these are this year, but I want you to be correct!

Heh, of course, when the designers bake polytheism into even these settings, I will be probably be despondent about D&D.

Remove ads

Remove ads