Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
My wish: a 5E take on the default 4E setting (with an actual name for the setting) that goes beyond the Nentir Vale. I know Mearls made a 5E adaptation of the wrackspawn and used the Moon Hills from the Nentir Vale (albeit a version with links to the Plane of Earth, which didn't exist in 4E) as an example area for a UA on exploration rules.

There was actually a ton of scattered details on the setting outside of the Vale, but it was never officially collected in one place.

Well... Not officially, but they were collected :)

http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=15210

About, the Plane of Earth... Well, I know people want their setting adaptations 100% faithful to the original (I personally have issues with any 5e Dark Sun fan conversion so far because of this), but that is not gonna happen. As much as the new rules need to adapt to earlier settings, those settings also need to adapt to the new rules.

I will be happy with a Nentir Vale mention in that book or whatever, regardless such changes in cosmology or the nature of the eladrin, or the changes they did to the Raven Queen in MToF.

But being honest, I feel Nentir Vale's odds to appear on this product are as big as Greyhawk's...

GarrettKP

Explorer
I welcome Eberron and Darksun, and modern and near future.

I suspect none of these are this year, but I want you to be correct!

Heh, of course, when the designers bake polytheism into even these settings, I will be probably be despondent about D&D.

Polytheism is already baked into Dark Sun and Eberron I believe.

Well... Not officially, but they were collected :)

http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=15210

About, the Plane of Earth... Well, I know people want their setting adaptations 100% faithful to the original (I personally have issues with any 5e Dark Sun fan conversion so far because of this), but that is not gonna happen. As much as the new rules need to adapt to earlier settings, those settings also need to adapt to the new rules.

I will be happy with a Nentir Vale mention in that book or whatever, regardless such changes in cosmology or the nature of the eladrin, or the changes they did to the Raven Queen in MToF.

But being honest, I feel Nentir Vale's odds to appear on this product are as big as Greyhawk's...

Well, the Nentir Vale/Points of Light/World Axis setting was the most recent new setting, so I feel like it probably has more of a chance than Greyhawk. Plus its setting assumptions aren't quite as deviant as Eberron's are (for example, the World Axis is at least a bit closer to the Great Wheel than Eberron's cosmology is).

I welcome Eberron and Darksun, and modern and near future.

I suspect none of these are this year, but I want you to be correct!

Heh, of course, when the designers bake polytheism into even these settings, I will be probably be despondent about D&D.

Uhhh Eberron is very polytheistic. The most notable religion in it worships a pantheon.

Yaarel

He Mage

At least the version of the Eberron setting that I know, is *objectively* agnostic. So conflictive views are possible, subjective, and equally valid.

I hope Modern adopts multicultural cosmological possibilities as well.

Dark Sun works best when it is nontheistic, and survivors are left to their own devices. There is no deus-ex-machina that can swoop in to save Athas from the consequences of arcane defilement.

It is better if the 5e canon makes Dark Sun officially unrelated to the Forgotten Realms multiverse supersetting, even if giving variant options to subsume it into supersetting, for example, transporting characters from Forgotten Realms into Dark Sun, and visaversa. An other variant, might suggest how to make certain Forgotten Realms options as having always been part of Dark Sun, even if exceedingly rare.

The main problem with assimilating Dark Sun into the multiverse is, then the polytheism becomes *objectively* canonically true, while the Dark Sun setting, tone, and feel, becomes *objectively* canonically ignorant of the truth. The cosmology is the context, and context determines meaning, and the wrong contextual framework destroys the setting and what the setting means and implies.

At least the version of the Eberron setting that I know, is *objectively* agnostic. So conflictive views are possible, subjective, and equally valid.

Dark Sun works best when it is nontheistic, and survivors are left to their own devices. There is no deus-ex-machina that can swoop in to save Athas from the consequences of arcane defilement.

It is better if the 5e canon makes Dark Sun officially unrelated to the Forgotten Realms multiverse supersetting, even if giving variant options to subsume it into supersetting, for example, transporting characters from Forgotten Realms into Dark Sun, and visaversa. An other variant, might suggest how to make certain Forgotten Realms options as having always been part of Dark Sun, even if exceedingly rare.

The main problem with assimilating Dark Sun into the multiverse is, then the polytheism becomes *objectively* canonically true, while the Dark Sun setting, tone, and feel, becomes *objectively* canonically ignorant of the truth. The cosmology is the context, and context determines meaning, and the wrong contextual framework destroys the setting and what the setting means and implies.

Dark Sun has always been part of the Multiverse. There are lots of references to it in planescape materiel.

gyor

Legend

Even as part of the multiverse that is true, a biproduct of Athas' Primordials defeating the Gods of Athas according to 4e, so Athas is beyond the Gods ability to save it, its effectively up to the people of Athas to save it if they can.

Staffan

Legend

Eberron, sure -- though I'd agree with Yaarel that the official stance is more agnostic. A polytheistic religion is the most common one, but since the gods don't show up or respond to spells like commune themselves, and people can cast divine magic through faith in other things.

But Dark Sun is explicitly atheistic. There are people who worship various things as gods, but those things are canonically non-divine. The most common ones are the Sorcerer-Monarchs (who can channel elemental power to their servants, but are very much mortal themselves), but you also have clerics leading tribes worshiping such things as "The God of the Volcano". That "god" is just their misinterpretation of various elemental spirits, though.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Eberron, sure -- though I'd agree with Yaarel that the official stance is more agnostic. A polytheistic religion is the most common one, but since the gods don't show up or respond to spells like commune themselves, and people can cast divine magic through faith in other things.

It's also worth pointing out that of the other major religious institutions of Eberron:
1) Three ostensibly mirror monotheism in that they each primarily center around a singular divine power (none of them are sentient individuals), at least one of which objectively exists in the world
2) One is explicitly miso-theist, in the sense that they think that if the gods do exist, that they hate us and must be our enemies.
3) Elves, who tend to engage in ancestor worship of some form or another.
4) And a particular subset of the Warforged, who are monotheistic in the sense that they have dedicated themselves to building a god themselves.

TheSword

Legend
Dark Sun has always been part of the Multiverse. There are lots of references to it in planescape materiel.

I rearched the links with Athas in AD&D. Trying to use magic to travel between planes required a wizard to roll Intelligence or under on a d100. Failure meant the wizard was lost in the Grey and would start to have Consititution drained. So magic existed but it was very risky. The grey surrounded the material plane of Athas and isolated it. So in the Athas multiverse gods exist but just can’t reach followers in Athas without great difficulty. Also the crystal sphere of Athas is completely impenetrable to Spelljammers. (Described in Preservers and Defilers of Athas.)

Remove ads

Remove ads