• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two Towers Oscar speculations!

If you were the Academy, what would you nominate/give The Two Towers Oscars for?

My votes:

Cinematography

FX (thousands of CGI Uruk-hai...)

Makeup & costumes

Set design (Edoras)

Best Supporting Actor (Gollum)

Best Picture (I can hope, but I doubt it.)

Maybe they'll give some sort of achievement award in lieu of a Best Picture when the whole trilogy is done.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I think it will get the same treatment as last year, though it may get fewer overall nominations. Look for the big year to be year three, since what has thus far been released is really only two-thirds of a very long movie. ;)

On a side note, look for Richard Harris to get a posthumus lifetime achivement award, perhaps, which may get Harry Potter a tad more attention. :)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
It may take home four, make up, costume, set and maybe music.

I see next year a special oscar for 'story' movies, things like Star Wars, Harry Pot, and LotR.

Last edited:

Assenpfeffer

First Post
I figure the film will get Best Picture and Best Director nominations, as well as nominatins in the technical categories.

For FX, Cinematography and Art Direction, it's a lock to win. Probably Costumes as well.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I think this is LotR's year to lay low and not win (maybe not even be nominated for) anything but technical awards. Next year, though... :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*sighs* Well all I have to say if they don't at LEAST give Peter Jackson a nod/nomination for best director this year and next, they are nuts.

Shadowdancer

First Post
Assenpfeffer said:
For FX, Cinematography and Art Direction, it's a lock to win. Probably Costumes as well.

Sorry, it's not a lock to win for cinematography.

A. It won last year in that category, so the same person is unlikely to win two years in a row for basically the same job.

B. There was a movie earlier this year, "The Road to Perdition," and every review and story about that movie went on and on about the cinematography in that movie. The Associated Press even did a feature story on the cinematographer. That movie is a virtual lock to win the Oscar this year for cinematography.

Assenpfeffer

First Post
Shadowdancer said:
B. There was a movie earlier this year, "The Road to Perdition," and every review and story about that movie went on and on about the cinematography in that movie. The Associated Press even did a feature story on the cinematographer. That movie is a virtual lock to win the Oscar this year for cinematography.

The same thing happened last year, too. The movie was called The Man Who Wasn't There. Almost every critic in the country had it as a favorite to win the Cinematography Oscar. It wasn't even nominated.

I agree with you on the appropriateness of the same guy winning again for the same project, but I'm not sure the Academy is sophisticated enough to see the distinction.

ninthcouncil

First Post
Assenpfeffer said:
I'm not sure the Academy is sophisticated enough to see the distinction.

I'm also not sure they're sophisticated enough to give Best Support to a CGI, either. Which is a pity, since I'd pay handsomely to see a performance better than Gollum/Serkis...

KenM

Banned
Banned
Just as a side note, Ian Holm should have gotten the nomination and won best suporting for Bilbo in FoTR. IMO.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads