• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two Towers Oscar speculations!

Templetroll

Explorer
KenM said:
Just as a side note, Ian Holm should have gotten the nomination and won best suporting for Bilbo in FoTR. IMO.

I agree, but, also thought that Sean Bean should have gotten a nomination for Boromir.

When we saw it the first time at the Council scene my daughter whispered to me, about Boromir, "He's trouble." She was teary-eyed at the death scene, my wife and I were also; it was just a great performance.

Michael Tree

First Post
I couldn't agree more about Sean Bean. He should have at least been nominated for best supporting actor.

IMO the academy should create a new category, for "best actor in an animated role". With the increasing use of digital animation in live action and animated movies, it's neccessary, since it's so difficult to compare voice acting to other acting.

The actor who played Theoden should be nominted for best supporting actor, as perhaps should Andy Serkis. However, none of the other characters had large enough roles in this movie to warrant nominations.

I would be surprised if it didn't win best costumes, best set design, and perhaps best sound. It will probably be nominated for best cinematography, but won't win, for the reasons stated above. It will also almost definitely be nominated for best adapted screenplay, but I don't know enough about what other movies will be nominated to predict whether or not it'll win.

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Lessee. Last year it won Visual Effects, Music (score) and Cinematography. This year, look for it to win, maybe, Visual Effects. Anything else, forget it. It's a big money movie, and it's not a romance, a tearjerker, a disease/sympathy play movie, or historical. Forrest Gump and Around the World in 80 Days, are probably the closest thing ever to a speculative fiction win. Lessee, Best Actor, closest we come is 1932 when Fredric March (Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde) shared it (the only time that's apparently ever happened, either). Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins is the closest win for an actress.

Shadowdancer

First Post
I think this will be a meager year, both for nominations and for wins. But next year, look for it to have lots of nominations, and I'm predicting now it will win for best director, and maybe best picture.

Remove ads