• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tyranny of Dragons Panel at PAX East Today

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Lets home Tyranny of Dragons online portion isn't the debacle that the 4e online portion was.

The online portion will probably be a NVW expansion a Facebook page and a a mobile app, I wish Hasbro had the movie rights already, having a movie tie in (the good one like the latest captain america movie) would be sweet. only thing better will be a HBO series.

Warder

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I've liked The Sundering adventures and Tiamat is a cool villain – the idea of the Zhentarim being on the side of the good guys is rather intriguing!

Cheers

Rich

pedr

Explorer
If done well, the Zhentarim could give the player who wants to play "evil" at organised play events a way to do that (often at the moment people come up with unsavoury character concepts then get told that they'll be disruptive and they really should change it).

If the Zhents are joining forces with other factions you can be not nice but have a strong story reason for cooperating with more heroic party members - at least enough to reduce the PvP risk.

The play Drow Encounters season didn't work at all for us as one of the extended family group that plays took the opportunity to basically grief his nephew (justifiably, in character) and there was a PC-instigated TPK.

Meh. Once someone sets up a Tyranny of Dragons wiki, you'll be able to keep up with the story in all its forms.
WotC did another big transmedia even back in 2012, where Lolth tried to become the new goddess of magic.

It had tie-in events in D&D Online, the Heroes of Neverwinter Facebook game, several e-books, two hardcover sourcebooks (Into the Unknown and Menzoberranzan), two seasons of Encounters, two lair assaults, and even a special event at PAX East.

The event has since been forgotten and there is all of a paragraph mentioning it in Lolth's entry in the FR wiki. With the actual conclusion being unmentioned.
Quick, what was it called?

-edit-
If you think about it, Tyranny of Dragons is just the latest in a long series of "events".

There was the Abyssal Plague that crossed over novels and had some monsters in the Monster Vault 2.
There's the aforementioned Underdark storyline.
There was the Sundering with ties to the Arena of War mobile game, novels, and all the adventures of the past year.

Now there's this. Which, when you think about it, really doesn't sound *that* different from what they've done in past events. The reason it's getting so much hype is likely because they're not ready to hype D&D5...

Last edited:

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Quick, what was it called?
Um.... Jango Loves Lolth?

jangoloveslolth.jpg

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Pretty much all the new art is awesome (I haven't decided yet whether I love or hate the electric guitar in the "Harper" image).

If you are talking about the purple-cloaked elf with the black gloves and boots, carrying a black chordophone* with a blue fretboard, I don't see any electrical pickups on that instrument, nor any dial knobs nor any switch buttons, so it could be purely acoustic. Yes, it has a bridge and a tail cap, but the rest of its appearance could be executed in lacquer.

* I expect that instrument to be referred to as something like a "bass yarting," but we don't have all the details yet.

Hutchimus Prime

Adventurer
WotC did another big transmedia even back in 2012, where Lolth tried to become the new goddess of magic.
You mean 2012 when support for 4E was winding down and the Playtest launching?
As opposed to 2014 the 40th anniversary year at the advent of a new edition.
Apples, meet oranges.

Isn't just exhausting to nitpick and bellyache so thoroughly about something you supposedly like?

Gundark

Explorer
Some of that's valid, but let's be honest - that's what everyone's home campaign is like too! Die Hard movie series, anyone? It's a fantasy world, with every epic threat seeming like the most incredible nail-biter, until the next one.
*CoughPaizoAdventurePathsCough*

Remove ads