D&D (2024) UA Groups: Expert, Mage, Priest, Warrior

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I want to go on record as disliking the term "Experts", because aren't the other classes experts, too? It strikes me as a "working title" for a group of classes that they didn't know where else to put.
I bet that what we got for group names in the UA will be in the final product.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I want to go on record as disliking the term "Experts", because aren't the other classes experts, too? It strikes me as a "working title" for a group of classes that they didn't know where else to put.
All of the group names are a bit imperfect. Every class should be an "Expert" at their role. Most classes are "Mages" (in the sense that they can cast magic). More than 3 classes can be considered "Warriors". And "Priest" doesn't really fit Paladin or Druid all that well, while I personally think that the Cleric would be better if renamed to "Priest" ("Clergy" might work better because it applies to people of all religious roles, but that's too close to "Cleric").

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Expert is the historical term for non-magical NPC skillmonkies. See the NPC classes in Essentials Kit and Tasha's Cauldron of Everything for it appearing in 5e: Warriors, Experts, and Spellcasters (that last of which had subclasses; Mages = Mage Group, Healers = Priest Group, and Thaumaturges are split up now because they were created essentially in 5e to represent the NPC charismatic generic arcane spellcaster that was something like bards, sorcerers, and warlocks).

rules.mechanic

Craft homebrewer
I'm also not keen on Priest/Divine/Clergy as the name of that group. Devout does seem broader, which is good. I saw someone suggest Favoured in a different thread, which would be good if included the warlock too. Spiritual? Mystic?

Yaarel

He Mage
The names I like are:
• Mystic
• Adherent
• Devoted

Also:
• Reverent

Reverent means "revering", to regard with awe and dignity.

(Not to be confused with reverend, one who is revered by others.)

All of these terms are in relationship with a Cosmic Force, whatever it is for a particular sacred community.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
The term mystic relates to "mystery".

Properly, the mystery sotospeak refers to the aspects of a transcendent experience that cannot be expressed in words − such as unity with the Divine or the enlightenment of Nirvana.

Alternatively, the mystery can also refer to any esoteric traditions that are intentionally kept secret from the public, and having initiation rites and private transmission of traditions.

As a D&D term, a Mystic can mean any kind of magical tradition that requires personal participation in the magic itself.

rules.mechanic

Craft homebrewer
Yeah, I think it's mainly that second one - mystic and mystery derive from a Greek word for secret, usually used with secrets related to religious rites etc, just like you describe (in modern Greek it's spelt μυστήριον and pronounced mistEErion). Seems a good fit for the group

Yaarel

He Mage
Yeah, I think it's mainly that second one - mystic and mystery derive from a Greek word for secret, usually used with secrets related to religious rites etc, just like you describe (in modern Greek it's spelt μυστήριον and pronounced mistEErion). Seems a good fit for the group
For me its mainly the first one, where "mysticism" is in the context of "mystics" in the Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, and Hindu traditions, and referring to similar accounts among those adherents who try to describe their transcendent experience. The mystics tend to self-identify with each other, regardless of religious tradition, and each of them is intentionally going beyond the routines of their religious tradition.

Then again, in the ancient context, it is mainly the second one, where it often refers to the "mystery religions".

But when referring to modern esoteric traditions with secret rites, I pretty much never hear it described as "mysticism" − unless it is transcendent.

In any case, Mystic is a great fit for the D&D group.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
One of the big differences from the real world is there's a whole other group that effectively works with the supernatural in a very detached, mechanical fashion, more like modern-day scientists and engineers than anything else.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases