D&D (2024) UA Groups: Expert, Mage, Priest, Warrior

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Are those all confirmed officially as having those keywords? Or are you just saying that the paladin is very warriorlike and you would consider him to be both a warrior and a priest?
The Ranger is a Expert but counts as a Warrior for fighting style feats.
The UA says the Paladin a priest. The 5e Paladin had fighting style.

2+2

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The Ranger is a Expert but counts as a Warrior for fighting style feats.
The UA says the Paladin a priest. The 5e Paladin had fighting style.

2+2
Not necessarily. The ranger gets it as a case of specific beats general. He specifically as a class ability has access to fighting styles and is also specifically NOT a warrior, so the ranger does not have access to any future warrior group only feats that are not fighting styles. I expect that the paladin will be similarly limited.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Not necessarily. The ranger gets it as a case of specific beats general. He specifically as a class ability has access to fighting styles and is also specifically NOT a warrior, so the ranger does not have access to any future warrior group only feats that are not fighting styles. I expect that the paladin will be similarly limited.

My first post was before the UA came out.
The Paladin will likely be like you said. It will count as a Warrior for Fighting styles.
It and the Ranger might end up counting more of the Warrior because Crawford suggested that magic items might have group requirements and I can't see Paldins and Rangers not getting magic swords, axes,and warhammers going over well at all.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The Paladin will likely be like you said. It will count as a Warrior for Fighting styles.
It and the Ranger might end up counting more of the Warrior because Crawford suggested that magic items might have group requirements and I can't see Paldins and Rangers not getting magic swords, axes,and warhammers going over well at all.
I'd say that it is highly unlikely that the items you've called out will have any form of restrictions on who can use them anyway. More likely it will be items such as the staff of power or a staff of healing having restrictions, magical arms and armour, not so much.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't think that they are going to gate magic weapons behind the warrior group. The Rod of Lordly Might, though...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd say that it is highly unlikely that the items you've called out will have any form of restrictions on who can use them anyway. More likely it will be items such as the staff of power or a staff of healing having restrictions, magical arms and armour, not so much.
I don't think that they are going to gate magic weapons behind the warrior group. The Rod of Lordly Might, though...
There is precedent for thisnin AD&D, however. It wouldn't surprise me if they at least test it out.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't remember that. A magic dagger could be used by anyone. The only reason wizards could not use magic swords is that they could not use swords. Not because they were warrior only.
True, but it would be a way for WotC to reinforce trope space, by making the Warriors the ones who can use the signature magical weapons, in spite of basic Proficiency being way easier to pick up than in AD&D.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
True, but it would be a way for WotC to reinforce trope space, by making the Warriors the ones who can use the signature magical weapons, in spite of basic Proficiency being way easier to pick up than in AD&D.
I don't think they will do that. You might see things like the Rod of Lordly Might or Vorpal Sword get gated, but not magic weapons in general and not all special magic weapons.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases