D&D 5E UA Kobold & Hobgoblin: Possibly for a Forgotten Realms Setting Book

pukunui

Legend
I think a Feywild counterpart to Van Richten's seems not-unlikely to me. Hopefully they'll reprint the satyr race there, too, which feels like a weird omission from Witchlight.
I just read through the Witchlight article in the latest Dragon+ and I note at the bottom it states:

“We’re also planning to create something similar to The Tortle Package, which we released on the DMs Guild to coincide with Tomb of Annihilation,” Chris reports. “This will be inspirational material that’s completely standalone and will explain how to create your own archfey and their Feywild domains. Once you’ve had a taste of what we’ve created in The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, you can go off and create your own.”

That makes me think that we'll get a PDF-only "Build Your Own Feywild Domain of Delight" mini-setting product, rather than a full-on hardcover.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yep, like the Eberron pdf book.
Imagine this: they release the equivalent of Chapter 2 from Van Richten's Guide, but for Archfey and Fey Domains of Delight. Let people get creative with that for awhile. Get a few creative outsiders to create Domains, ala Candlekeep Mysteries, to populate a large number of a similar level of details as Van Richtens. Make some PC options, make a bunch of surrealist fantasy monsters, genre suggestions for going Through the Looking Glass or using the Glass Slippers...pretty great potential there.

pukunui

Legend
Imagine this: they release the equivalent of Chapter 2 from Van Richten's Guide, but for Archfey and Fey Domains of Delight. Let people get creative with that for awhile. Get a few creative outsiders to create Domains, ala Candlekeep Mysteries, to populate a large number of a similar level of details as Van Richtens. Make some PC options, make a bunch of surrealist fantasy monsters, genre suggestions for going Through the Looking Glass or using the Glass Slippers...pretty great potential there.
That sounds promising! And, considering that, unlike Ravenloft, they don't have a whole lot of pre-existing material on the Feywild that they can just update to 5e, this seems like a good way of building up the whole "Domains of Delight" concept.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That sounds promising! And, considering that, unlike Ravenloft, they don't have a whole lot of pre-existing material on the Feywild that they can just update to 5e, this seems like a good way of building up the whole "Domains of Delight" concept.
It is rather odd, when you think about it, how little development there has been for Farieland stuff in D&D over the decades: not nothing, for sure, but compared to many other sections of the game, lots of room to grow.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It is rather odd, when you think about it, how little development there has been for Farieland stuff in D&D over the decades: not nothing, for sure, but compared to many other sections of the game, lots of room to grow.
There is a lot of spectacular third party stuff out there, which I hope will all see a lot of sales when Witchlight drops. I assume we'll see big pushes on that material at DMs Guild and DriveThruRPG when that happens. (Cawood Publishing's Monsters of Feyland is on DriveThruRPG, for instance, rather than DMs Guild, and is well worth folks checking out.)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Interesting. So maybe Tumblestrum's Guide to the Feywild was a product that they considered, killed, and are going to put the foundational material up as a standalone PDF. Works for me!
Based on the Dragon+ interview with Perkins posted today:

"...according to Principal Game Architect Chris Perkins, who revealed more details about this Feywild adventure at D&D Live 2021, it’s been over a decade in the making!

“'I very much wanted to write a full-length adventure that shines a spotlight on the Feywild for fourth edition, because we’d never done one before. But when we started working on fifth edition, our priorities shifted. I was finally able to circle back around to focus on this project again once we were deep enough into fifth edition. So this idea has been percolating in my brain for around 11 years,' Chris tells Dragon+."

"Chris kept notebooks of his Feywild ideas during that time, in anticipation of being able to return to the project. These included the makeshift plot he’d written, maps he’d drawn, and lists of unusual items that could be found in that setting. When he re-pitched the idea of a Feywild story in 2017, Larian had started working on Baldur’s Gate III, and the D&D Team pushed ahead with Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus to tie into that product. It was another two years before Chris finally got to reopen those notebooks."

“'When I went back to my notes there were page after page of ideas for this setting. Here’s a bunch of plants and mushrooms native to the Feywild, here’s a list of fey trinkets. I kept adding to those lists and I started to flesh out the plot with some new ideas about how this could be a story about the passage of time,' he remembers."

He also notes that the Jabberwock is based on the 2E Monstrous Compendium version, that was used in only one other adventure ever...written by Chris Perkins in the 90's for Planescape.

So it seems this was definitely conceived as an Adventure during 4E to flesh out the Feywild, and has stewed a fair bit. I reckon that rather than back out of doing a Setting, that as this Adventure came together, Ray Winninger saw the potential as the basis for a whole new Setting (of which Winninger has said they are working on two right now), and they are approaching that cautiously.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases