UA to Become Weekly! Pendleton Ward Helped On New AP!

WotC is currently at Gamehole Con, a convention in the US Midwest. According to a GameholeCon attendee at one of WotC's D&D panels, featuring Jeremy Crawford, Chris Perkins, and Mike Mearls, Unearthed Arcana (Mike Mearl's monthly rules column) is going to become a weekly column. Not only that, Sage Advice will be pausing for a while while Jeremy Crawford joins Mearls on the UA columns. There will be a new Unearthed Arcana every Monday, with the next being three new barbarian options.

WotC is currently at Gamehole Con, a convention in the US Midwest. According to a GameholeCon attendee at one of WotC's D&D panels, featuring Jeremy Crawford, Chris Perkins, and Mike Mearls, Unearthed Arcana (Mike Mearl's monthly rules column) is going to become a weekly column. Not only that, Sage Advice will be pausing for a while while Jeremy Crawford joins Mearls on the UA columns. There will be a new Unearthed Arcana every Monday, with the next being three new barbarian options.

WotC's Chris Perkins also said that "The next D&D story is *not* based on Adventure Time. However, Pendleton Ward did help us create it." Ward is, of course, the creator of the US cartoon Adventure Time.

hora-de-aventuras.png

CwbuBdMXUAE8pKB.jpg

Photo courtesy of @BasementofDeath
SaveSave

bogmad

First Post
A Planes book I think is a good bet. VGtM specifically hints Gith might be in an upcoming book, IIRC. It makes sense to me that we could get a Planes book with Gith and perhaps even a Mystic class thrown in...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I've got a tentative guess that gith and psionics will all come bundled together in a Spelljammer-inspired swashbuckling adventure.

Could be wrong, but certainly that is the rich vein my Astral Plane Campaign is mining. :)

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I think all three of those paths seem pretty cool, and nothing seems glaringly over-potent... though I am assuming that Rage Beyond Death is intended that you are dead when you've failed 3 death saves, so you need to be brought back to life rather than just healed a bit, even if that is done before the rage has ended.

I like all three, but I'm really liking the Storm Herald - very cool if you're looking for a nature-themed barbarian. Although I do have to admit that the Zealot's "Rage Beyond Death" is a really nice power...

Also, from the mention of how many UA articles will be coming over the next few months, I think it is safe to say that the "major rules expansion" book they have hinted at will probably be the crunch book that is released next November. No way for it to come out sooner than that, what with so much playtesting still to be done.

Gadget

Adventurer
Hmmm....I can't say I would have named the Barbarian as class in need of more sub-classes if I was asked, but I don't really mind these classes at all. Kind of going outside what is usually viewed as the traditional Barbarian bailiwick a bit, they seem very flavorful. I could think of all kind of things for the zealot one.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
No way for it to come out sooner than that, what with so much playtesting still to be done.
That depends on how much in-house play-testing has already been done. Not that I know one way or the other, but the public play-testing of these crunchy bits through Unearthed Arcana could be coming at the end of a suitably long in-house play-testing period, and be intended, to use a carpentry analogy because those come naturally to me, to be the finish sanding rather than the saw work.

To phrase my thought differently, and perhaps more succinctly; that depends on if these Unearthed Arcana articles coming out weekly for the time being are meant as a true play-test process, or as a hybrid play-test and preview of the book to come (basically a preview with an asterisk "will be changed if feedback indicates strong enough desire for changes").

Corpsetaker

First Post
Oh, thank the gods we will be getting a whole lotta new options soon. Not that it will stifle those incessantly crying for more. Because it will either not be the *particular* options the want, or it won't be done in the *exact way* they wanted. I just hope its useful and fun for those of us who actually *like* 5e.

So what, we are supposed to like everything they come up with?

Sorry but I'm brutally honest and when I don't like something I'm not afraid to say it. WoTc isn't my friend, they are a business that provides a product, and one that they put out for us to give our honest feedback on. I'm not going to be a Wizards fanboy and applaud everything they put out.

Remove ads

Remove ads