D&D 5E (Un)-Reliable Talent? How do you do it?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
UPDATE: after having time to run the numbers today, I'm "ok" overall with RT working with both dice for advantage and disadvantage. What happens is RT tightens the effects of advantage and disadvantage. In other words, advantage won't help you as much as it might help another PC, but in the same way disadvantage won't hinder you as much, either. @TwoSix commented as to such IIRC.

The floor is still a bit too high for my tastes (I'd rather it be 8, not 10), but not so much that it warrants adding a house-rule for it.

MarkB

Legend
It does if you have a 3 and an 8, the 3 becomes 10, so 8 is the "lower roll". In normal disadvantage, the 3 would be lower. In this way, even using RT with this house-rule, the base roll would be 8 instead of 3, so it definitely still helps and changes things.
Okay, now you've totally lost the thread. I'm talking about where you said that you could apply the same thing to rolling with advantage:

The best part is I could use the same rule for advantage. If the rolls were 3 and 8, the 3 becoming a 10 would make 10 the result.
If both rolls are below 10, it makes no difference whether you increase the lower or higher result to 10, or both of them. If one of the rolls is 10 or higher, then Reliable Talent doesn't come into play at all.

Remove ads