D&D 5E Unarmed strike and gauntlets

Matatabi

First Post
So in a homebrew campaign that I'm part of we came across a magic shop to where we could enchant weapons with either +1 or +2. The DM was going to allow me to use brass knuckles with my monk and still use unarmed strikes because I'm still punching. I know this is homebrew so anything goes but in a strict 5E rule environment would this be allowed? If not what about using gauntlets instead? Is there anyway to allow a monk to get that +1 or +2?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

WarpedAcorn

First Post
So in a homebrew campaign that I'm part of we came across a magic shop to where we could enchant weapons with either +1 or +2. The DM was going to allow me to use brass knuckles with my monk and still use unarmed strikes because I'm still punching. I know this is homebrew so anything goes but in a strict 5E rule environment would this be allowed? If not what about using gauntlets instead? Is there anyway to allow a monk to get that +1 or +2?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

I'm not aware of anything in 5th Edition. I seem to recall that 3.0/3.5 did have something for this, but I can remember if they were magical tattoo's or corded gauntlets (or if that's something I came up with in my own games for the Monk players).

In a "legit" 5th Edition game, I don't think the magical Knuckle Dusters would fly. I believe the workaround is that you can use a small selection of weapons and those can be magical. But I feel where you're coming from.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
There was an amulet in HoTDQ that gave monks a bonus to unarmed attacks.

In my own campaign I'll be handing out a set of magic hand wraps for the monk. (Created from the burial shroud of a warforged monk, they give +1 to hit/dam and +1d6 bludgeoning damage to unarmed strikes).

Satyrn

First Post
I'm not aware of anything in 5th Edition. I seem to recall that 3.0/3.5 did have something for this, but I can remember if they were magical tattoo's or corded gauntlets (or if that's something I came up with in my own games for the Monk players). .
It was an amulet, I think. Since unarmed strikes are also kicks, elbows, headbutts and all that, the OP may want to consider something like that, as brass knuckles could reinforce the idea that it only works when punching.

I suggest a black belt.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Yeah i know i can still get my quarterstaff enchanted but cant flurry with a staff

I think there's a decent chance this is deliberate. Getting more attacks with a magic weapon increases the extra damage it provides. So a belt or whatever that gives monks a +1 bonus to their unarmed strikes is worth quite a bit more DPR than a fighter gets from a +1 sword, since the monk gets so many attacks.

IMO it's reasonable to introduce such an item, but value it as more like a +2 weapon, maybe.

Remove ads