Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

John Crichton

First Post
Just finished it.

That was easily one of the most gratifying gaming experiences I've had in quite a while! Probably since God of War.

Graphics were stunning and probably the best I have ever seen. The facial animations and complete lack of FMV blew me away. All around a tremendously fun time. :)

Anyone else give this one a go?

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I played this around Christmastime... lots of fun, and I definitely enjoyed the story (voice acting was particularly good). I'm not sure I'd say the graphics were all that - I'd just finished playing Assassin's Creed, so maybe my bar was set pretty high - but it was pretty cool.

Mallus

Legend
I'm on chapter 15, and even though I'm taking my own sweet time finishing it, I'm really enjoying Uncharted. It's like playing a neo-pulp action movie. All it's missing is a mini-game where you have to out-drink a raven-haired beauty in Outer Mongolia...

...oh, and there's a distinct lack of hat on the main character.

It's not without it's graphical flaws (though I do like how it's world isn't entirely made up of drab-colored corridors), nor it's gameplay quirks (the hero has this oddly non-fatal reaction to being shot; it's like he has a mild bullet allergy that's easily controlled with Zytec), but none of that stops it from being a great game.

The sequel should rock out.

John Crichton

First Post
Yeah, the graphics aren't perfect (no games has achieved that yet) but with the lush environments, water effects and ease of character motion it's easy to get lost in it. :cool:

Felon

First Post
How much gameplay is packed in it? I'm in the market for a cheap Blu-Ray player now that Netflix has middle-fingered my Xbox. :D

John Crichton

First Post
Felon said:
How much gameplay is packed in it? I'm in the market for a cheap Blu-Ray player now that Netflix has middle-fingered my Xbox. :D
I got around 10 hours. I'd probably play it again to get more extras but I have a stack of games lined up that need playing and currently our TV is being serviced.

If you are asking if it's good enough to buy the system for, I would say no even though it's an excellent game. However, if you are looking for an excuse to get a BR player and some quality games with more on the way, I'd do it. :)

Rackhir

Explorer
Felon said:

The PS3 is currently the best Blu-Ray player out there and is future proof as well. Something most of the stand alone players are not. So if you are considering getting a Blu-Ray player, unless you've got $1000 to blow on one of the high end Pioneer players, it is the one to get. Especially when you consider that the stand alone players all cost at least as much as the PS3 ($400).

The DVD/Blu-Ray remote control for the PS3 is a bluetooth device. So you can't mimic it's controls with most programmable remote controls. There are USB IR adapters bundled with alternative remote controls that could conceivably work with a programmable remote.

Warhawk is a great multiplayer (only) on line game.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is due out in a couple of months and looks amazing.

If you're a John Woo/Chow Yun Fat fan. The Deluxe edition of Stranglehold for the PS3 includes a Blu-Ray version of "Hardboiled" the classic action flick on the disk. It is however ONLY playable on a PS3 and cannot be used in any of the stand alone players.

If you like FPS, Unreal Tournament III actually supports a mouse and keyboard (either USB or Bluetooth) and is gradually adding support for fan created maps/models. Unfortunately it is the only FPS for the PS3 that does support the keyboard and mouse for some unknown godforsaken reason (it's not out of the question that the Orange Box might get it at some point though. Valve seem committed to updating the package).

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
John Crichton said:
Anyone else give this one a go?
I've only gone through a bit of it, but what I have is unbelievable. One of the best games out there period, much less for a single system or even single generation.

Looks considerably better (and plays infinitely better) than Assassin's Creed, AFAIC.

John Crichton

First Post
Arnwyn said:
I've only gone through a bit of it, but what I have is unbelievable. One of the best games out there period, much less for a single system or even single generation.

Looks considerably better (and plays infinitely better) than Assassin's Creed, AFAIC.
What chapter did you get to?

For the record, each one is typically better than the last. :)

Remove ads