Unconverted Mystara creatures

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Thanks for pointing out the Krolli, GrayLinnorm, I've removed that from the list.

In general, the rule of thumb I'm using to decide whether or not to count a conversion is that it doesn't need to be official, but if it isn't official, it needs to at least claim to be a conversion of an earlier D&D creature.

So while there are quite a lot of creatures in the ToH2 and ToH3 that are remarkably similar to creatures from earlier editions of D&D, none of them are presented as conversions, so I haven't counted them.

It might make sense to count the Giant Tuatara though, since that's based on a real world creature. Hmmmm....

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Shade said:
Have you by any chance been keeping a separate tally of unconverted creatures not updated by WotC? I'm just curious in the actual number that haven't seen the light of day in official books, magazines, and WotC's web site.
Hmmm... figuring that out was trickier than I expected, but here are the numbers. These might not be 100% accurate, but should be pretty close. Note that I decided to include the Swords & Sorcery Ravenloft creatures as official, otherwise the number of unconverted Ravenloft creatures would be much higher.

Running totals for creatures that haven't yet been officially updated to 3.X:
Al-Qadim: 59
Birthright: 94
Dark Sun: 145
Historical Reference: 5
Horde: 5
Maztica: 7
Mystara: 277
Oriental Adventures: 39
Planescape: 159
Ravenloft: 36
Spelljammer: 195

Total: 1021

Mortis

First Post
Echohawk said:
I'm going to leave the Elementals of Chaos and Law on the list for the moment, but hopefully they will end up archived either in the Vaults of Pandius, or over at Planewalker.com, at which point I'll delete them. Please let me know if you spot any other mistakes.
They are available at Planewalker.com in Denizens of the Inner Planes pdf, under Elemental of Chaos and Elemental of Law. :) It's easy to miss as their individual names are only mentioned in the text not the index. :(

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Echohawk said:
Hmmm... figuring that out was trickier than I expected, but here are the numbers. These might not be 100% accurate, but should be pretty close. Note that I decided to include the Swords & Sorcery Ravenloft creatures as official, otherwise the number of unconverted Ravenloft creatures would be much higher.

Running totals for creatures that haven't yet been officially updated to 3.X:
Al-Qadim: 59
Birthright: 94
Dark Sun: 145
Historical Reference: 5
Horde: 5
Maztica: 7
Mystara: 277
Oriental Adventures: 39
Planescape: 159
Ravenloft: 36
Spelljammer: 195

Total: 1021

Cool. Thanks a bunch. That makes my original estimate of around 2,000 seem more likely, once Dragon mag, FR, and OD&D are figured in.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Shade said:
Cool. Thanks a bunch. That makes my original estimate of around 2,000 seem more likely, once Dragon mag, FR, and OD&D are figured in.

Without the unofficial conversions? I'm now guessing closer to 3,000 once all the creatures from those sources are counted.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Thanks Mortis. I've cut the Elemental Drakes from the list.

Cool, the total thus far drops back below 500. Of course, I still have a lot of books to check. Which reminds me, is it my imagination or are there no published 3.X versions of the Giant Badger and the Giant Weasel?

Remove ads