D&D 5E Undead Apocalypse (Interest Check)

TallIan

Explorer
Hmmm, champion blade'lock suddenly looks like a cool idea, though now I need to choose wether to be down 2 ASIs and 2 feets or miss out on champion or blade pact

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

tglassy

Adventurer
Multiclassing is fine, but you'll need an RP reason as to why your character switched classes. Also, you need to weigh loosing those higher level powers with the abilities multiclassing gives. A bladelock doesn't need Martial proficiency, and can take a feat for medium armor. You'd just be getting the Champion stuff and Action Surge. Is that worth an invocation and three spells? Or go Champion, is a couple invocations and summoning a blade worth loosing an extra attack and fighter HP and the extra Champion feature? Oh, and a second ASI? You need to decide that. Level dipping Warlock for EB and a few invocations can be worth it, but I'm not convinced anymore that multiclassing when playing a character under level 10 is really worth it.

TallIan

Explorer
The RP reason is sound (I like to think anyway).

Its a half orc fighter who, in desperation is offered a pact. I could use the same story with a pure blade'lock and the soldier background too, but I quite like the idea of the MC version. Blade pact is kind of central to the character to I could do fighter 2/warlock 4 to start.

I was thinking it would end as fighter 6/warlock X. That gives me the Action surge, reasonable second wind, heavy armour, extra attack and the bonus fighter feat without costing me anything I really want from warlock. I will admit champion is a choice that would synergise well with orc, but the whole thing is harldey optimised

TallIan

Explorer
Fitz: Mystic
River: Ranger
Me: Blade'lock

So nothing super tanky, sword and board should be ok. I will try get my character stats up later this week, but for now..

[SBLOCK=ORC]
You are frightened of my appearance? Most are, they see only the orc half and seldom the human half. Yes I am a viscous fighter, but so are many humans, and like any humans I tried to settle in peace and raise children - I had earned my peace and my land. Twelve of us settled with our mates to raise crops and children, and we did for a time. Then the rumours started of a tide of undead sweeping through all the lands. We paid it no heed, there is always an undead horde, a plague, barbarians, tyrants but then it came to us, an uncountable mass of tortured men, dwarvs, elves, and more.

Fight did not even cross our mind, we gathered our children and fled with the clothes on our back and ran, but they followed, untiring. We ran until our children cried, then we carried them as we ran, but the untiring horde followed. We ran until our women wailed, we harangued them and we ran, but still they followed un-slowing. We ran until our men collapsed. To my shame I was the first, as we headed towards the mountains, hoping the close, treacherous terrain might slow them. As we neared a pass I could go no farther, the world darkened around me as I watched my people continue their flight until it all ended with a crash.

I awoke, not much later – it could not have been – to see a horned creature standing over me. “Do we have deal?” he asked offering me an axe. I vaguely recalled him offering me a great weapon and the vitality to wield it in exchange for something – I don’t remember. “What good is an axe?” I remember thinking, but I could hear the moaning of the undead, closer and closer. I was shamed and there was nothing else I could do to wash away that shame but die in battle.

So I nodded, yes, I did not care what he cost was, I would be dead soon. Touching the axe invigorated me. Not far from where I had fallen the pas narrowed, and I retreated there – ready – willing; here I would fight until I died, I would not slow them, but that did not matter. There I fought. I fought, the great axe cleaving bodies as though they were wheat. I fought, every slain enemy seeming to make me stronger. I fought, costing them a dozen dead for every step they took.

I fought until a great wave of heat blasted the damned things from in front of me and a great rock slide closed the pass. How long for I do not know, but I looked behind me to see a dozen men-at-arms staring at me in awe, I have never seen men look at an orc that way before or since. Their leader stepped forth. The pass lead to a valley, where thousands of refugees sought safety from the horde of undead, but as more refugees and more came, more and more undead pursued them. They could no longer hold the passes, their soldier weary, their wizards exhausted. They were closing the passes and fleeing. This group had been sent to hold this pass, but the undead never came, held back by me they said, but what pursued me could not be stopped, barely slowed.

I followed them to the camps, now emptying, to see streams of living heading away. My family, I hope were among them, I cannot join them, for I am shamed, but I pray to any god that will listen that they are safe – somewhere – but I cannot know. So now I fight, I fight to take back what should be ours and I will fight until I am dead.[/SBLOCK]

I wrote that on the flight home last night, but it doesn't quite fit with your world background, so I'll have to adjust it slightly, but something very similar.

So will probably go with a monk but can decide on a tradition. Thinking either Way of the Sun Soul. Way of the Kensai, or Way of the Long Death. What does everyone think?

TallIan

Explorer
From tglassy's description, pall'y could be dangerous but it was a tempting option (I'm running one in another game so didn't fancy running another). Otherwise, Sun Soul monk strikes (ha ha) me as thematic.

TallIan

Explorer
So my earlier list updated is:

Fitz: Mystic
River: Ranger
Me: Blade'lock
Vlad: Pally?
Gargoyle: Cleric?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Remove ads