Undead Origins

Voadam

Legend
GDQ 1-7 Queen of the Spiders
1e
Asberdies, Lich Magic User 20: ?
Lich Magic User 18/Cleric 20: ?
Bone Colossus: The white giant is a bone colossus, a being created from the joining of many skeletons.
Belgos, Drow Vampire: ?
Vlad Tolenkov, Vampire Magic User 15: ?
Ghast: ?
Ghoul: ?
Lich: ?
Shadow: ?
Skeleton: ?
Spectre: ?
Vampire: ?
Zombie: ?
Crypt Thing: ?
Wight: The portable hole contains a jeweled crown (80,000 gp), a gem-set orb (50,000 gp), and a scepter likewise encrusted with precious stones (65,000 gp) which were the lich’s in life. They now bear a curse which affects any living creature that takes them. The magic will turn the individual or individuals into a wight after sickening and dying. The curse can only be removed by a cleric of 20th or higher level. (The items radiate both magic and evil.)
Wraith: ?

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I3-5 Desert of Desolation (1e)
1e
Munafik, Unded Magic User 10: Munafik read old and wicked books to prolong his life, but the books turned him undead.
Spectral Minion: ?
Ghostship: ?
Cursed City Vision Priest: ?
Cursed City Vision Passing Caravan: ?
Cursed City Vision Business Transaction: ?
Cursed City Vision Thundering Chariot: ?
Cursed City Vision Elephant: ?
Cursed City Vision Lovers: ?
Ghost Thief: ?
Ghost Fighter: ?
Ghostly Mob: ?
Al-Dolak, Ghost: If given the chance, the ghost will explain that he was Al-Dolak, the once-great Captain of the guard. He was involved in the assassination plot against the Sheik, but had only a cowards role to play. He assembled the guards for inspection just as the assassins were attacking the Sheik. Now he must stay here, looking upon their noble faces.
Cryptknight: It is a cryptknight, who, while helping to assassinate the Sheik, was killed at the exact moment the Tower became time-trapped.
Dust Specter, Dust Spectre: ?
Habrauk Al-Nirin, Spectre: ?
Krinos Pandipolous, Wraith: The wraith is the spirit of Krinos Pandipolous, the manager of the baths during the last years of the city. He was so evil that when the city was abandoned, he was chained to the benches in the changing room, cursed by all the departing clerics, and left to die.
Ghast: ?
Ghoul: "Since the lands dried up, none of the faithful were left to bring food or offerings to the temple. Soon the stored foods were gone and the priests turned to their High Priest for the answer. He taught them the dark arts, telling them that it was the way to eternal life. It turned out, however, only to be the way to eternal undeath. The priests soon turned into wraiths, wights, and ghouls, feeding on the hapless adventurers that entered the tomb."
Ghost: ?
Groaning Spirit: This woman was part of a plot against her husband, the sheik of this tower. She was imprisoned in this room for her plotting. Her spirit has become a groaning spirit that lives in this room.
Mummy: ?
Shadow: ?
Skeleton: These are the remains of adventurers who cursed the gods that put them here and were in turn cursed to become wandering skeletons in Phoenix.
The changing rooms may contain skeletons, created from the remains of dead adventurers who cursed the gods that put them here; they were, in tum cursed, to wander Phoenix for eternity, or until they are laid to rest.
Wight: Munafik read old and wicked books to prolong his life, but the books turned him undead. In his quest to prolong the lives of the priests, he turned them into wights and wraiths.
"Since the lands dried up, none of the faithful were left to bring food or offerings to the temple. Soon the stored foods were gone and the priests turned to their High Priest for the answer. He taught them the dark arts, telling them that it was the way to eternal life. It turned out, however, only to be the way to eternal undeath. The priests soon turned into wraiths, wights, and ghouls, feeding on the hapless adventurers that entered the tomb."
Wraith: Munafik read old and wicked books to prolong his life, but the books turned him undead. In his quest to prolong the lives of the priests, he turned them into wights and wraiths.
"Since the lands dried up, none of the faithful were left to bring food or offerings to the temple. Soon the stored foods were gone and the priests turned to their High Priest for the answer. He taught them the dark arts, telling them that it was the way to eternal life. It turned out, however, only to be the way to eternal undeath. The priests soon turned into wraiths, wights, and ghouls, feeding on the hapless adventurers that entered the tomb."

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I3 Pharoah (1e)
1e
Amun-Re, Ghost: “In death my spirit gleefully approached my pyramid, but Osiris stopped my spirit from entering that tomb, for, said he, 'Your monument to life was to be the benefit you brought to the people under your stewardship, not this edifice of stone. As you Looked only to your death in life, so shall you look only to your life in death. I am bound to fulfill your curse, for you have called it down with the power in my name. But I do curse you Amun-Re, that you shall not enter this tomb where are the implements of your voyage to heaven, until some mortal soul does despoil this place, taking your staff of ruling and the star gem of Mo-Pelar from your theft-proof tomb.'”
Munafik: Great Munafik/the priest most high.
Munafik, priest was keeper of the tomes of Terbakar, the greatest library in all lands of the golden age.
Munafik searched too, for life eternal and some say that he sought to rob the pharaohs of their right to that life.
But through his study of all the Books of secret lore he only sought to serve.
In truth Munafik’s search was rewarded for the books showed him the way of life eternal here.
Munafik read old and wicked books to prolong his life, but the books turned him undead.
Ghoul: “Since the lands dried up, none of the faithful were left to bring food or offerings to the temple. Soon the stored foods were gone and the priests turned to their High Priest for the answer. He taught them the dark arts, telling them that it was the way to eternal life. It turned out, however, only to be the way to eternal undeath. The priests soon turned into wraiths, wights, and ghouls, feeding on the hapless adventurers that entered the tomb.”
Wight: “Since the lands dried up, none of the faithful were left to bring food or offerings to the temple. Soon the stored foods were gone and the priests turned to their High Priest for the answer. He taught them the dark arts, telling them that it was the way to eternal life. It turned out, however, only to be the way to eternal undeath. The priests soon turned into wraiths, wights, and ghouls, feeding on the hapless adventurers that entered the tomb.”
Munafik read old and wicked books to prolong his life, but the books turned him undead. In his quest to prolong the lives of the priests, he turned them into wights and wraiths.
Wraith: “Since the lands dried up, none of the faithful were left to bring food or offerings to the temple. Soon the stored foods were gone and the priests turned to their High Priest for the answer. He taught them the dark arts, telling them that it was the way to eternal life. It turned out, however, only to be the way to eternal undeath. The priests soon turned into wraiths, wights, and ghouls, feeding on the hapless adventurers that entered the tomb.”
Munafik read old and wicked books to prolong his life, but the books turned him undead. In his quest to prolong the lives of the priests, he turned them into wights and wraiths.

Voadam

Legend
I5 Lost Tomb of Martek (1e)
1e
Cryptknight: Cryptknights are creatures that were time-trapped just as they died. Thus, they became trapped in their deaths.
Spectral Minion: Spectral minions are the spirits of humans or demihumans who died before they could fulfill powerful vows or quests that had been placed on them. Similar to ghosts, spectral minions do not fully exist on the Prime Material plane. Even in death, spectral minions are bound to the vows or quests placed upon them when they were alive. Every day, they must relive the events leading to their deaths, trying to fulfill their vows and quests. Outdoors, spectral minions must stay within 1,000 yards of where they died. Otherwise, they must stay in the corridor or room where they were at death.
They are long-dead Thune Dervishes who were caught half-way across the glass sea when dawn came. They are on the Skysea to search for a new god to worship and are cursed to stay here by the god they worshipped before.
Ghostship: ?
Groaning Spirit: This woman was part of a plot against her husband, the sheik of this tower. She was imprisoned in this room for her plotting.
Al-Dolak, Ghost: The ghost will speak, one round after appearing, explaining that he was AI-Dolak, the once great captain of the guard. He was involved in the assassination plot against the sheik, but had only a coward’s role to play. He assembled the guards for inspection just as the assassins were attacking the sheik. Now he must stay here forever, looking upon the noble faces of the once-honored guard.
Wight: ?
Lancer of Death, Spectral Minion: ?
Death Watch, Spectral Minion: ?

Voadam

Legend
I6 Ravenloft
1e
Count Strahd von Zarovich, The First Vampyr, Vampire Magic-User 10: The death she saw in me turned her from me. And so I came to hate death, my death. My hate is very strong; I would not be called "death" so soon. I made a pact with death, a pact of blood. On the day of the wedding, I killed Sergei, my brother. My pact was sealed with his blood.
I found Tatyana weeping in the garden east of the Chapel. She fled from me. She would not let me explain, and a great anger swelled within me. She had to understand the pact I made for her. I pursued her. Finally, in despair, she flung herself from the walls of Ravenloft and I watched everything I ever wanted fall from my grasp forever.
It was a thousand feet through the mists. No trace of her was ever found. Not even I know her final fate.
Arrows from the castle guards pierced me to my soul, but I did not die. Nor did I live. I became undead, forever.
Strahd Zombie: They were called into being through a dark magic, now forgotten even by Strahd himself. Strahd zombies were created from the long-dead guards of Castle Ravenloft.
Maiden Vampire: ?
Vampire: These are old, hapless victims of the Count.
Groaning Spirit: ?
Helpful Spirit: ?
Helga, Vampire: She claims to be the daughter of a villager, cruelly forced into service of the Strahd. She will plead on her hands and knees, if necessary, to be saved from this awful place. She will play the part of the innocent female to the last, only revealing her ferocity as a vampire when she attacks. She is, in fact, the daughter of one of the townspeople but she chose a life of evil with Strahd.
Prince Aerial du Plumette, Ghost: Ariel was a terrible man, who sacrificed more than himself in his quest for wings.
Endorovitch the Terrible, Spectre: This man loved Marya and found that she loved someone else in his court. As Marya and her lover were dining, Endorovich put poison into the man's wine glass. The glasses were mixed up and the girl drank it instead. The lover was hanged for the deed and buried in the cemetery behind the church in Barovia township. Endorovich never did get over his guilt and, in his madness, killed many in his lifetime.
Sasha Iviliskova, Vampire: This vampire is an old wife of Strahd's, a townsperson now under his control.
Patrina Velikovna, Banshee: Patrina was a gypsy elf maiden who, having learned in early life a great deal of the black arts, was nearly a match for Strahd's powers. She felt a great bond with Strahd and desired to become one of his wives. Strahd, ever willing, agreed, but before the final draining of spirit from her soul could take place, her own people stoned her to death in mercy. Strahd demanded, and got, the body. She then became the banshee spirit found here.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I10: Ravenloft II: The House on Gryphon Hill (1e)
1e
Strahd Von Zarovich, The Creature, Vampire Mage 10: I am rebirth, I am flight. The troubles of my previous life fade into shadows alone. I was peace itself. I was good and just. I practiced my arts for the benefit of all and healed the land with the gifts of a just god but the torment of my own dark self followed me. Within me was darkness, and hatred and envy. As I looked about, so too did this black shadow of mankind's soul seep slowly into all that I did, diluting its power and sapping its strength.
My own darkness, my own doubting, hatred and rage poisoned me as well; with so much done in the service of others, my own spite and pride tore at me in the back of my mind. In the end, it said to me, all there is, is death, and all these good works will be for naught.
Then came the vision. I saw a way by which I might rid myself of my own darkness. Indeed, might I not rid all mankind of its darker self? This would surely be perfection, joy and treasure. This was the Apparatus and once my mind conceived it, I could not rest until its completion.
Many nights did I work in the darkness of my secluded laboratory, my mind fevered with the immensity of what I would accomplish. Yet did success elude me! Failure after failure did I suffer. The key to the banishment of our darker self was ever hanging before me, without shape or substance; ever in a haze of taunting obscurity.
One night my tortured soul boiled with hate and anger. I cried out! “Why had the gods made man so? Why must we be tortured by contrast in this life, faced constantly with the choice of light and dark?” I would conquer this if I could. I would defy such law!
Then came to me with clarity the knowledge of what I must do. I saw the missing piece, its rod of crystal hewn just so; its length just thus. The sulphur sphere . . . it all made sense. I vowed to leave thus for a time the paths decreed by the just gods, for in the end much good could be accomplished . . . surely the gods would understand the need of that.
Within a fortnight the deed was done. The Apparatus stood complete within my laboratory. The great sulphur ball in its mechanism, the receptors below all arranged properly about the lead glass sphere. The tests had all been successful . . . I could let no one but myself be the first within that chamber.
The power surged with the spinning sphere. Lightning laced the chamber. Arrows of brilliance flew from the receptors and pierced the glass . . . my soul! The darkness encompassed me . . . it screamed!
When at last I awoke, I was free. Yet the great experiment worked all too well.
I could marry with good conscience the woman I loved and know that the darker self within me would be no obstacle to our joy and happiness. We were betrothed and the date was set.
I gave no thought then to where my darker soul had been sent. Where that part of me lived, I did not know. My pride had played one last trick upon me.
I continued my questing to perfect my device when on a terrible night of storm the Apparatus fled from my control and black darkness solidified within the crystal globe. From whence I had sent my dark self . . . it had returned!
Now it has taken form, unbidden and terrible. The creature . . . for no other name would suit . . . emerged from the shattering globe. I fled from the house in terror that such horror should have existed within me, only to return!
I am the ancient, I am the land. My beginnings are lost in the darkness of the past. I was the warrior. I was good and just. I thundered across the land like the wrath of a just god, but the war years and the killing years wore down my soul as the wind wears stone into sand.
All goodness slipped from my life; I found my youth and strength gone and all I had left was death. My army settled in the valley of Barovia and took power over the people in the name of a just god, but with none of a god's grace or justice.
I called for my family, long unseated from their ancient thrones, and brought them here to settle in the castle Ravenloft. They came with a younger brother of mine, Sergei. He was handsome and youthful. I hated him for both.
From the families of the valley, one spirit shone above all others. A rare beauty, who was called “perfection,” “joy” and “treasure.” Her name was Tatyana and I longed for her to be mine.
I loved her with all my heart. I loved her for her youth. I loved her for her joy. But she spurned me! “Old One” was my name to her—”elder” and “brother” also. Her heart went to Sergei. They were betrothed. The date was set.
With words she called me “brother,” but when I looked into her eyes they reflected another name..death.. It was the death of the aged that she saw in me. She loved her youth and enjoyed it. But I had squandered mine.
The death she saw in me turned her from me. And so I came to hate death,my death. My hate is very strong. I would not be called “death” so soon.
I made a pact with death, a pact of blood. On the day of the wedding I killed Sergei, my brother. My pact was sealed with his blood.
I found Tatyana weeping in the garden east of chapel. She fled from me. She would not let me explain, and a great anger swelled within me. She had to understand the pact I made for her. I pursued her. Finally, in despair, she flung herself from the walls of Ravenloft and I watched everything I ever wanted fall from my grasp forever.
It was a thousand feet through the mists. No trace of her was ever found. Not even I know her final fate.
Arrows from the castle guards pierced me to my soul, but I did not die. Nor did I live. I became undead, forever.
Worse still, he had the audacity to use the machine on himself. Indeed, this enchanted engine drained all that was evil from the body of the Alchemist and cast it out. But the exiled evil did not dissolve into nothingness but rather gained a malignant nonlife of its own in a land far distant. Now, that abomination has returned to confront the Alchemist and to claim the life-rights it was denied by its creator. This is the vampire, the Creature Strahd.
Strahd Skeleton: These skeletons have been animated by the Creature.
Strahd Skeletal Steed: These are skeletal war horses that the creature has animated.
Strahd Zombie: These zombies are the creations of the Creature Strahd.
Azalin, Lich Magic-User 18: ?
Lich 18: ?
Master Ilmen, Strahd Zombie: ?
Caarey Gelthik, Ghast: ?
Jerimy Estmore, Wight: ?
Master Tangle, Wraith: ?
Wren Thims, Wraith: ?
Carl Ramm, Mummy: ?
Sharon Teece, Groaning Spirit: ?
Molly Grayswit, Vampire: Watching here is a vampire, a young woman who disappeared from town some weeks ago. Her parents presumed she had run off with a sailor, not realizing she had fallen victim to Strahd.
Thinn Balder, Zombie: ?
Badder Ghastling, Ghast: ?
Karen Edgerton, Wight: ?
Geam Welstap, Wraith: ?
Maquir Loft, Wraith: ?
Ellen Stinworthy, Mummy: ?
Miranda Langstry, Groaning Spirit: ?
Charity Bliss, Vampire: ?
Lord Godefry, Haunt: “...Tragedy has struck! This morn, Goodman Morris came winded from the Godefroy house. He says Lady Godefroy and her child are brutally slain and the blood clings to Lord Godefroy's hands..."
The only being found here is a haunt, the remains of Godefroy, who died here after slaying his wife and child.
Godefroy will seek to possess one of the characters that enters the room and force him to lay the spirits of his dead wife and daughter to rest.
Kelman Osterlaker, Spectre: ?
Penelope Godefry, Haunt: “...Tragedy has struck! This morn, Goodman Morris came winded from the Godefroy house. He says Lady Godefroy and her child are brutally slain and the blood clings to Lord Godefroy's hands..."
It will try to posses one of the characters and then complete its flight from its father.
Kattle Lisbury, Wight: ?
Emory Maus, Wight: ?
Marcus Lithe, Wraith: ?
Thellactin Mianns, Spectre: ?
Kelly Duncan, Groaning Spirit: ?
Emma Kelley, Vampire: ?
Millicent Hodgson, Zombie: ?
Natterly Knutnor, Ghast: ?
Momsin Alenny, Wight: ?
Shingol Tann, Wraith: ?
Yettergun Folie, Spectre: ?
Leslie Kale, Groaning Spirit: ?
Arlie Esterbridge, Vampire: ?
Lady Godefroy, Ghost: “...Tragedy has struck! This morn, Goodman Morris came winded from the Godefroy house. He says Lady Godefroy and her child are brutally slain and the blood clings to Lord Godefroy's hands..."
Slain by her husband.
Ogre Wight: ?
b]Ghast:[/b] ?
Groaning Spirit, Banshee: ?
Haunt: ?
Vampire: ?

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms (1e)
1e
Salt-Zombie: T'hai Salt Flats
An ancient salt lake once filled this land, but deep underground upheavals resulted in the water draining away, leaving a desolate and parched tract of salty soil where no green plants take root. Strange boulders and sand dunes shape the land here, and it is an evil place. The only man who is known to live there is the evil wu jen Utwa So, the master of the “salt-zombies,” undead monsters he has created from the helpless peasants and adventurers who wander into his domains.
Undead Warrior: Ancient undead warriors are accidentally raised from their graves by a group of rice farmers extending an irrigation canal near the village of Gawat. Coming out of an extensive unmarked sepulcher the monsters attack and kill six of the diggers.
Ghost: The ghost of an ancient ancestor of the Ho clan is seen in Ausa. He was executed by the Shou troops who put down their revolt hundreds of years ago, yet he had no part in the rebellion. He was an honorable man and mourns his lost name.
Todaijo is the northerly port city on Sora Bay in Kanahanto Province that was once the stronghold of Prince Miki. Miki was killed and his city destroyed by korobokuru in 2/45 (105). However, Todaijo was rebuilt over time, and remains a center of trade for the far north of Shinkoku.
Todaijo is a city haunted by ghosts and uneasy spirits. Its inhabitants have learned to live with this, and simply avoid certain buildings haunted by those who died violently at the hands of korobokuru.
Pin Mo Nom, The Headtaker, Spectre: ?
Baijang: ?
Gaki, Hungry Ghost: ?
Bisan: ?
Spirits of the Dead: The spirits of the dead are descended from those who lived evil or unfulfilled existences when they were alive. For this, they have been judged by the Lords of Karma to eternally walk the Earth as spirits, forever in torment.
Joki Lam, Ghost: ?
Ghostly Ferry-Man: ?
Old Man of Pursai, Ghost: ?
Ghostly Deer: ?
Ghost Ship of Hidegari Iegusa: Boats navigating the Sea of the Long Morning are sometimes greeted with the eerie sight of the ghost ship of Hidegari slowly making its way along the coastline. About 500 years ago, the legendary seaman Hidegari Iegusa engaged in a fierce battle with a fleet of warships from Kozakura. The battle went against Hidegari, and with his sails ablaze and his crewmen dead, his ship vanished into a sudden fog. The ghost ship is recognizable by its glowing hull and sails of flame.
Chu-U Ghost: The chu-u were neither virtuous enough to pass the judges examinations nor malevolent enough to merit additional sentencing.
Ghost of Samon: About halfway on the Hayatoge Road is where the wandering shukenja Samon met his end nearly 2,000 years ago. While on a religious retreat, Samon betrayed his vows and courted and married a beautiful peasant girl. When he awoke the next morning, he found a great serpent coiled next to him, the true form of his bride. Horrified, he ran off into the mountains. His spirit is still occasionally seen by evening travelers.
Peat Mummy: ?
Memedi Genndruwo: ?
Common Memedi: The category of frightening spirits can be very broad. Most unexplained phenomena that frighten a person are likely to be described as memedi, and many spirit creatures presented in Oriental Adventures may fit the category.
Common Memedi Djim: These are apparently the spirits of deceased priests.
Common Memedi Djrangkong: ?
Common Memedi Panaspati: ?
Common Memedi Setan Gundul: ?
Common Memedi Uwil: Apparently the spirit of a dead sohei.
Common Memedi Wedon: ?
Sundel Bolong: ?
Tigbanua Buso: ?
Mountain Buso: ?
Jiki-Ketsu-Gaki: ?
Shinen-Gaki: ?

Last edited:

Remove ads