Undead Origins

Voadam

Legend
Deep Magic: Rune Magic
5e
Vaettir: Vættir are ancestral spirits, sometimes protective and helpful but demanding of reverence and wrathful if offended. Landvættir dwell in barrows while sjövættir live beneath lakes, rivers, or the sea. Servants of the land, they are favored by the Vanir, who grant them the ability to curse those who disrespect the wild or ancient laws and traditions.
Ancestral Spirit: ?
Landvaettir: Vættir are ancestral spirits, sometimes protective and helpful but demanding of reverence and wrathful if offended. Landvættir dwell in barrows while sjövættir live beneath lakes, rivers, or the sea. Servants of the land, they are favored by the Vanir, who grant them the ability to curse those who disrespect the wild or ancient laws and traditions.
Sjovaettir: Vættir are ancestral spirits, sometimes protective and helpful but demanding of reverence and wrathful if offended. Landvættir dwell in barrows while sjövættir live beneath lakes, rivers, or the sea. Servants of the land, they are favored by the Vanir, who grant them the ability to curse those who disrespect the wild or ancient laws and traditions.
Wrathful Vaettir: ?
Bone-White Vaettir: ?
Undead: ?
Sleeping Hero: ?
Dead Ancestor: ?
Undead Ancestor: ?
Former Occupant of the Land: ?
Intelligent Undead: ?

Voadam

Legend
Demon Cults and Secret Societies for Fifth Edition
5e
Undead Adherent: ?
Undead That Feast Upon the Flesh of the Living: ?
Lesser Undead: ?
Hungry Undead Mastiff: ?
Horrific Intelligent Undead Mount: ?
Undead Remains of a Humanoid: ?
Undead Who Shun Daylight: ?
Intelligent Undead: ?
Undead Guardian: ?
Undead Horror: ?
Shambling Undead Creature: ?
Crazed Undead Thing: ?
Darakhul: Darakhul Fever disease.
Jasna Veldrik, Darakhul: ?
Kasimir Ernis, Darakhul Gnome: ?
Darakhul Noble: ?
Darakhul Guard: ?
Darakhul Mercenary: ?
Merchant's Ghost, Half-Mad Angry Spirit: A wealthy and prosperous merchant in the city had his life fall apart around him 2 years ago. First, his wife left him after finding evidence of an affair. Then, his two children died in separate, tragic accidents. Finally, the crown put him under investigation for smuggling contraband into the city. He hanged himself in a fit of despair. Some say his ghost haunts his manor house.
The merchant’s ruin was plotted and carried out by the Weavers of Truth. The sorcerer in charge of the mission was arrogant and had the audacity to show himself to the merchant as he dangled from the rope, slowly strangling due to botching the hanging, and confessed his role in the man’s downfall. It was the last thing the merchant heard before he died. He was certainly guilty of the things of which he was accused, but his son and daughter were innocent of any wrongdoing. Now, the merchant’s ghost wants the sorcerer dead.
Ghoul, Mere Ghoul: Darakhul Fever disease.
Ghoul Servant: ?
Ghoulsteed: The Creed of All Flesh creates horrific, intelligent, undead mounts for its most prestigious guardians.
Although they're large, run on all fours, and can be ridden as mounts, ghoulsteeds are the undead remains of humanoids. They're created when a humanoid is killed by massive amounts of negative energy.
Ghast: Darakhul Fever disease.
Conjured Ghast: ?
Ghast Dire Ape: ?
Mummy: ?
Guardian Mummy: ?
Venomous Mummy: ?
Mummified Guardian: ?
Revenant: The PCs recognize the creature as a former crime boss in the city who recently vanished and was assumed murdered by a rival. The undead is a revenant, recently slain in one of the Sanguine Path’s blood rites, and seeks venegance on the cult leader that sacrificed it.
Greater Shadow: ?
Shadow Creature: ?
Shadow: A creature whose Strength drops to 0 [from shadowmaker poison] dies and transforms into a shadow with free will.
Skeletal Horse: ?
Specter: Serrin targets a humanoid within 10 feet that died violently no longer than 1 minute ago. The target's spirit rises as a specter under Serrin's control.
Spellscourged Couatl: Then, for reasons unknown, the couatl ceased its visitations. Now, it has returned, but the creature is no longer the same benign ally. Something has transformed this wise and beautiful being into an undead horror.
Spellscourged Undead: If a spellcaster dies from spellscourge, the creature must make one last DC 15 Constitution saving throw. If it fails, the creature rises again in 24 hours as a spellscourged, undead creature.
Vampire: Marena is a destructive and vengeful goddess whose sphere of influence includes matters of sickness, death, and decay. She promotes life in twisted forms, from the second existence as vampires that she bestows upon her favored children to her deft use of lust as a tool of manipulation and ruin.
Once the temple has grown in influence and worshipers, she [Cosmina Horosu] chooses the most loyal servants to be her successors, granting them the gift of vampirism before departing for a new city.
Arikiine, Vampire Derro, Vampiric Leader: ?
Prince Lucan, Vampire: ?
Vampire Progeny: ?
Vampire Lord: ?
Cosmina Holrosu, Vampire: A manifestation of Marena appeared before Cosmina and caressed her face. Overwhelmed, Cosmina swore devotion to the goddess for eternity, and Marena's hand left its mark upon her skin as a reminder of the oath. Cosmina's new existence as a vampire affirms her promise.
Vampire Spawn: ?
More Powerful Vampire: ?
Drekkan, Vampire Spawn: ?
Serrin, Wraith: Nikolai kept tabs on her exploits after they parted ways and was dismayed to discover that a powerful shadow creature had slain her. Unbeknownst to him, however, she had returned to unlife and started a minor reign of terror, draining travelers to and from Zobeck.
Blood Zombie: ?
Standard Zombie: ?

Darakhul Fever
Spread mainly through bite wounds, this rare disease makes itself known within 24 hours by swiftly debilitating the infected. A creature so afflicted must make a DC 17 Constitution saving throw after every long rest. On a failed saving throw the victim takes 14 (4d6) necrotic damage, and its hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the damage taken. This reduction can’t be removed until the victim recovers from darakhul fever, and even then only by greater restoration or similar magic. The victim recovers from the disease by making successful saving throws on two consecutive days. Greater restoration cures the disease; lesser restoration allows the victim to make the daily Constitution check with advantage.
Primarily spread among humanoids, the disease can affect ogres, and therefore other giants may be susceptible.
If the infected creature dies while infected with darakhul fever, roll 1d20, add the character’s current Constitution modifier, and find the result on the Adjustment Table to determine what undead form the victim’s body rises in.
ADJUSTMENT TABLE
Roll Result
1–9 None; victim is simply dead
10–16 Ghoul
17–20 Ghast
21+ Darakhul

Spellscourge
This disease is carried by many minions of the Great White Ape. Creatures gain 1 level exhaustion immediately upon being infected. Further exposure to infection has no additional effect, but infected creatures gain another level of exhaustion every time they complete a long rest unless they make a successful DC 15 Constitution saving throw at the end of the long rest.
In addition to gaining exhaustion, a spellcaster infected with spellscourge can lose access to his or her spell slots. Each time the spellscaster fails a saving throw at the end of a long rest (gaining another level of exhaustion), they also lose the use of their highest-level spell slots. For example, a 7th-level wizard's highest spell slots are 4th level. If he is infected with spellscourge and fails the first Constitution saving throw after a long rest, he loses the use of his 4th‑level spell slots. If he fails another Constitution saving throw after a long rest, he loses the use of his 3rd-level spell slots, and so on.
The disease can't be recovered from naturally. Only lesser restoration or comparable magic can cure it. Each casting of lesser restoration must be accompanied by a spellcasting check: if the result is 20 or higher, the spell removes 3 levels of exhaustion; 15-19 removes 2 levels of exhaustion; 14 or lower removes 1 level of exhaustion. The disease is cured when the infected creature has no exhaustion.
If a spellcaster dies from spellscourge, the creature must make one last DC 15 Constitution saving throw. If it fails, the creature rises again in 24 hours as a spellscourged, undead creature. It retains its former stats with the following exceptions:
Alignment becomes Chaotic Evil
Type becomes undead
Gains darkvision 60 feet, if it didn't already have darkvision
Can detect magic (as the spell) within 60 feet, at will
Can't cast spells or use magic items
Has advantage on saving throws against spells and magical effects
Spell attacks and weapon attacks with magic weapons are made with disadvantage against spellscourged undead
Takes 6d6 force damage when targeted by a dispel magic spell or exposed to an antimagic field

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Depths of Felk Mor
5e
Zombie, Normal Zombie: If the players keep Arkam's book in their possession, they will slowly become malevolently insane. In 2d6 days, their alignment will shift to Chaotic-evil (chaotic) and they will not be able to resist the calling of the book to start performing similar experiments on living creatures themselves.
Before this happens, however, the players should get fair warning that their characters are starting to have more and more thoughts about the book and the secrets therein. They will start to feel compelled to study the book and have an unusual interest in dissecting creatures.
If a character still does not destroy or otherwise get rid of the book, after this time they will have the ability to animate zombies or skeletons (depending on the corpse used) at the rate of one per week and at a cost of 50gp in materials.
These rooms are where the caretaker locked in his failed attempts at raising the dead cultists.
The Caretaker, Zombie: ?
Putrid Zombie, Slightly Stronger Zombie: ?
Skeleton: If the players keep Arkam's book in their possession, they will slowly become malevolently insane. In 2d6 days, their alignment will shift to Chaotic-evil (chaotic) and they will not be able to resist the calling of the book to start performing similar experiments on living creatures themselves.
Before this happens, however, the players should get fair warning that their characters are starting to have more and more thoughts about the book and the secrets therein. They will start to feel compelled to study the book and have an unusual interest in dissecting creatures.
If a character still does not destroy or otherwise get rid of the book, after this time they will have the ability to animate zombies or skeletons (depending on the corpse used) at the rate of one per week and at a cost of 50gp in materials.
This is the hall of the dead, a burial place for the cultists. If any of the bodies are disturbed, or if there is a loud noise, all of the bodies will animate and attack any living creature not wearing a badge of Remahotep. If they are left undisturbed, they will not animate.
Animated Skeleton: ?
Haunt: The haunt is the ghostly representation of an ancient gnomish druid whose task it was to keep the water caverns pure. When the corruption of Remahotep first began to appear many years ago, he found the recipe for a potion of purify water. The priests of Remahotep needed the corruption and blight of the water to spread in order to make the area receptive to the evil that would soon follow.
When the gnome druid was near completion of his task and had captured a minotaur lizard, one of the high priests caused an earthquake to create the chasm and seal off the druid to the west side alone with the beast, which ended up killing him before the task could be resolved.
Lesser Wraith: ?
Undead Minotaur Lizard: Residing in this chamber behind the logs is the minotaur lizard that had killed the gnome druid. Or what used to be the minotaur lizard. The creature would have died long ago, but has been “infected” for a lack of a better word, with the evil energy saturating this place. The creature is now an undead version of itself, and will savagely attack any living creature that enters this area.
Coffin Corpse, Undead Coffin Corpse: Coffin corpses are similar to zombies in creation, but were imbued with a much higher intelligence.
Strewn about in this room are the corpses of four Migo. Or more accurately, four coffer corpses of what used to be Mi-go. Back when the priests of Remahotep started contaminating the area, these creatures came with them, but were slain. They are now undead coffin corpse creatures.
Wight: These creatures are wights, having once been caretakers for the dead followers of Remahotep.
The Old King, Ancient Mummy: ?
Shadow: This large cavern used to be home to the bugbears first, until the black puddings drove them out deeper within the mountain. However, many of the bugbears had perished and raised as shadows.

Voadam

Legend
Devils in the Details (Level 16 PCs)
5e
Lord Ganelon Mordant, Mighty Death Knight: The explanation of the Iron Conclave’s disappearance begins in one of the layers of Hell, with the machinations of the pit fiend Vossargas. The devil had patiently devised a ritual that would allow him access to the mortal realm, and the last component required was the corruption of a truly noble heart.
Vossargas set his sights on the Iron Conclave, and Lord Ganelon Mordant in particular. The pit fiend contacted the succubus Lilytha on the Material Plane, and arranged a deal with her to help further his plans.
Lilytha infiltrated the Iron Conclave under the magical guise of a hand-maiden, and set to enamoring Lord Mordant. The process was slow, and subtle, but ultimately the paladin succumbed to her beauty and took her as his lover. It soon came to be that Lilytha was always seen at the lord’s side, whispering in his ear. The decisions and votes Lord Mordant cast began to turn dark, and out of character.
Each subsequent meeting of the Iron Conclave drew more suspicion and unrest from the council, wary of Ganelon and Lilytha’s relationship. Lord Roland Nyssar in particular spent many days with a keen eye on this hand-maiden that had won his friend’s affections. On the first night of the council’s 144th meeting, Lord Nyssar discovered what he was searching for – catching the succubus without her magical illusions that disguised her to appear human.
In Rivermarch Keep’s Great Hall, before all of the Iron Conclave, Lord Nyssar accused Lilytha of being a hellspawn, sparking a furious argument between himself and Lord Mordant. On that evening, before every lord on the council, Lord Mordant struck down Lord Nyssar in cold blood.
With Lord Mordant’s murder of Lord Nyssar, the paladin’s corruption was complete, and the pit fiend Vossargas’ ritual finished. The instant Roland Nyssar’s blood hit the stone floor the devil appeared before the Conclave and claimed the souls of all that inhabited Rivermarch Keep.
Upon Vossargas’ arrival, the keep was warped and transformed, forcing it to share an extra-dimensional space with Hell. Rivermarch Keep now exists simultaneously on two planes – its original construction on the Material Plane, and a twin version in Hell. The souls of the fallen lords were instantly transported to the keep’s twisted parody on the Outer Plane, damned to serve the devil thereafter.
Lord Ganelon Mordant’s fall from grace caused him to become a death knight after his passing.
I was once part of the prestigious group of lords that formed the Iron Conclave. We gave law to our lands, voices to our people, and peace to all of Rivermarch. Truly, there was nothing more noble I could do, nothing of which I could be more proud of doing.
But that all changed towards the end. In the waning years of our group’s endeavors we were infected with a sickness… and her name is Lilytha. A hellspawn, a fiend that turned my friend Ganelon against the graces of our union, she took the guise of servant maiden and whispered poisons in his ear.
There were many meetings when all my attention was fixed to gauging this seductress, and I’ve learned never to doubt my instincts. And then it happened – I spied upon her one day as she revealed her true form, a horned and winged thing not of our world.
I told Ganelon, my friend I thought, before all the Conclave what I had seen. But he did not believe me. He belittled me! Argued my words away! And when my back was turned, imploring my colleagues for help, he plunged his brand into my back.
Ganelon Mordant assured the doom of our council that day, and now they are destined to serve the wretches of Hell in this twisted reflection of our once great keep.
Death Knight: If the party intimidates Xalabrachne, he’ll reveal the truth about the pit fiend’s plans - Vossargas is using his access to the Material Plane to corrupt powerful mortals to make a legion of death knights. He needs mortal souls to forge these powerful weapons, and when his army is complete, he’s set to ousting Baalzebul and claiming himself as Lord of Hell.
Lord Roland Nyssar, Revenant: Each subsequent meeting of the Iron Conclave drew more suspicion and unrest from the council, wary of Ganelon and Lilytha’s relationship. Lord Roland Nyssar in particular spent many days with a keen eye on this hand-maiden that had won his friend’s affections. On the first night of the council’s 144th meeting, Lord Nyssar discovered what he was searching for – catching the succubus without her magical illusions that disguised her to appear human.
In Rivermarch Keep’s Great Hall, before all of the Iron Conclave, Lord Nyssar accused Lilytha of being a hellspawn, sparking a furious argument between himself and Lord Mordant. On that evening, before every lord on the council, Lord Mordant struck down Lord Nyssar in cold blood.
With Lord Mordant’s murder of Lord Nyssar, the paladin’s corruption was complete, and the pit fiend Vossargas’ ritual finished. The instant Roland Nyssar’s blood hit the stone floor the devil appeared before the Conclave and claimed the souls of all that inhabited Rivermarch Keep.
Upon Vossargas’ arrival, the keep was warped and transformed, forcing it to share an extra-dimensional space with Hell. Rivermarch Keep now exists simultaneously on two planes – its original construction on the Material Plane, and a twin version in Hell. The souls of the fallen lords were instantly transported to the keep’s twisted parody on the Outer Plane, damned to serve the devil thereafter.
When Lord Roland Nyssar passed into Hell, his corpse animated as a revenant.
The magic that gives Lord Nyssar unlife is normally limited to one year, but that time has come and gone and yet the revenant persists. Perhaps it is because the cursed Rivermarch Keep only resides on the Material Plane briefly, once each month – or perhaps the flow of time in Hell is much slower than on the mortal realm. Whatever the reason, Lord Nyssar has not rested a single night since his death decades ago, every minute of his existence dedicated to complete and utter revenge.
I was once part of the prestigious group of lords that formed the Iron Conclave. We gave law to our lands, voices to our people, and peace to all of Rivermarch. Truly, there was nothing more noble I could do, nothing of which I could be more proud of doing.
But that all changed towards the end. In the waning years of our group’s endeavors we were infected with a sickness… and her name is Lilytha. A hellspawn, a fiend that turned my friend Ganelon against the graces of our union, she took the guise of servant maiden and whispered poisons in his ear.
There were many meetings when all my attention was fixed to gauging this seductress, and I’ve learned never to doubt my instincts. And then it happened – I spied upon her one day as she revealed her true form, a horned and winged thing not of our world.
I told Ganelon, my friend I thought, before all the Conclave what I had seen. But he did not believe me. He belittled me! Argued my words away! And when my back was turned, imploring my colleagues for help, he plunged his brand into my back.
Ganelon Mordant assured the doom of our council that day, and now they are destined to serve the wretches of Hell in this twisted reflection of our once great keep.
Whatever curse that has taken them has afflicted me differently, it would seem, as I am granted some cruel semblance of life each day. I swear this, I will not rest until I have throttled the life out of the succubus that turned my friend against me. I will not rest until I return the favor to Lord Ganelon Mordant.
I will have my vengeance.
Skeletal Knight: Skeletal knights are much more powerful versions of animated skeletons.
The explanation of the Iron Conclave’s disappearance begins in one of the layers of Hell, with the machinations of the pit fiend Vossargas. The devil had patiently devised a ritual that would allow him access to the mortal realm, and the last component required was the corruption of a truly noble heart.
Vossargas set his sights on the Iron Conclave, and Lord Ganelon Mordant in particular. The pit fiend contacted the succubus Lilytha on the Material Plane, and arranged a deal with her to help further his plans.
Lilytha infiltrated the Iron Conclave under the magical guise of a hand-maiden, and set to enamoring Lord Mordant. The process was slow, and subtle, but ultimately the paladin succumbed to her beauty and took her as his lover. It soon came to be that Lilytha was always seen at the lord’s side, whispering in his ear. The decisions and votes Lord Mordant cast began to turn dark, and out of character.
Each subsequent meeting of the Iron Conclave drew more suspicion and unrest from the council, wary of Ganelon and Lilytha’s relationship. Lord Roland Nyssar in particular spent many days with a keen eye on this hand-maiden that had won his friend’s affections. On the first night of the council’s 144th meeting, Lord Nyssar discovered what he was searching for – catching the succubus without her magical illusions that disguised her to appear human.
The former lords of the Iron Conclave have become the devils and undead that now serve the pit fiend that damned them.
Animated Skeleton: ?

Voadam

Legend
BEOWULF: Horror at Herrogate
5e
Arne, Dreag: Arne was no paragon of triumph and bravery. Arne stole the glorious deeds of others and murdered them to keep his vile secret. Now, in death, this guilt plagues him and gives him his power.
Two years past, Arne came to Thorfinn with a shocking confession: he was no hero. Instead, he’d taken the credit for other, braver men and women’s deeds. He had not wanted to let his father down. Yet the lies had finally become too heavy to bear. He would visit the last settlement he had “saved” to make amends—and then he would return home to Herrogate and confess his crimes to the people. Thorfinn should have been surprised, but perhaps some part of him had suspected all along. Even as his heart broke, Thorfinn knew he had only one choice. The truth could not out. It would break his people. It would destroy his legacy. He tried to reason with Arne, but there was no changing his son’s mind. And so, when Arne set out to begin to make his amends, Thorfinn followed him. He found Arne at a campsite on the side of the road a half day’s journey from Herrogate. Arne was a sorry sight, smelling of ale, crying quietly to himself as he stared into the fire. Looking at his son, so pathetic and so deeply in need, Thorfinn’s heart filled with rage. This was his legacy? All it took was a few blows and a well-placed seax, and Thorfinn’s shame was erased. The boy didn’t even have the courage to fight back.
the Wise seek his council or attempt to reason with him. For those with the insight to see beyond Thorfinn’s ill temper, they would find a man who has lost all hope. A man who secretly wishes for the dréag to come for him and end his earthly suffering. A man who knows that the dréag is his own son—and that he alone is to blame for Arne’s fate.
In parting, the monk will suggest that, before confronting the dréag, the Hero should understand why Arne became a dréag in death. The monk shares that some nights past he had a vision of a campsite on the road to Herrogate. There, Arne lay in the dirt in a pool of blood as a man with a rich fur cloak wept at the bloody broken seax in his own hand before throwing it into a ditch and slipping away into the night.
The two men’s argument became heated until Arne told his father that the truth mattered more than any legacy. He would no longer lie for his father’s benefit. “And if the truth kills us all, there are worse things than death,” Arne declared. Then he turned in his bedroll, putting his back to his father. A strange calmness descended on Arne’s father then. The look of hatred on his craggy face made Brinda shiver. Without warning, his boot slammed into Arne’s back. Arne cried out in pain and tried to scramble away. But his father’s kicks and punches rained down until Arne was a sobbing, bloody mess begging for mercy. “Tell me you will not betray our family,” Arne’s father growled. But even in his weakened and beaten state, Arne could not be swayed. “To continue lying is a greater betrayal,” he answered, blood bubbling on his lips. It was then Arne’s father grabbed the knife at his waist and plunged it into Arne’s chest. Arne’s pained, gasping breaths carried through the grasses like the rustle of wind, until his chest fell still. When his father pulled the knife from Arne’s body he swore. The tip of the blade had broken off somewhere. Sparing one last look of disgust for his son, Arne’s father flung the broken weapon into the grass—where it landed inches from Brinda—and fled into the darkness, toward Herrogate.

Voadam

Legend
Draconic Discoveries (5e)
5e
Khongnochen, Adult Blue Dracolich: ?
Allip: These undead may be the animated remains of the original crypt inhabitants or the remains of adventurers slain by Khongnochen.
Flameskull: These undead may be the animated remains of the original crypt inhabitants or the remains of adventurers slain by Khongnochen.
Mummy: These undead may be the animated remains of the original crypt inhabitants or the remains of adventurers slain by Khongnochen.
Shadow: These undead may be the animated remains of the original crypt inhabitants or the remains of adventurers slain by Khongnochen.
Skeleton: These undead may be the animated remains of the original crypt inhabitants or the remains of adventurers slain by Khongnochen.
Spectre: These undead may be the animated remains of the original crypt inhabitants or the remains of adventurers slain by Khongnochen.
Vampire Spawn: These undead may be the animated remains of the original crypt inhabitants or the remains of adventurers slain by Khongnochen.
Vampiric Mist: These undead may be the animated remains of the original crypt inhabitants or the remains of adventurers slain by Khongnochen.
Wight: These undead may be the animated remains of the original crypt inhabitants or the remains of adventurers slain by Khongnochen.
Will-o'-Wisp: These undead may be the animated remains of the original crypt inhabitants or the remains of adventurers slain by Khongnochen.
Wraith: These undead may be the animated remains of the original crypt inhabitants or the remains of adventurers slain by Khongnochen.
Animated Remains: ?
Remains: ?

Voadam

Legend
Elder Evils 5e
5e
Undead, Actual Undead: ?
Undead World: [A]n undead world "born" at the moment of creation.
Undead Entity: ?
Undead Who Seek to Destroy the Living: ?
Mindless Undead: ?
More Powerful Undead: ?
Undead Celestial: ?
Undead Servitor: ?
Undead Guardian: Over time, the influence of Pandorym's mind has created undead guardians,the maddened remnants of those who failed to release it.
Intelligent Undead: Any living creature that dies in the [aura of entropy] area rises as an undead after 1 minute. Nonsentient beings become zombies or skeletons, while creatures with an Intelligence score of 7 or higher return as intelligent undead such as wights or ghouls. There's a 10% chance that an intelligent being's mind and body separate. Its consciousness rises as an incorporeal undead, such as a quell or wraith, and its body animates as a corporeal horror as normal.
Incorporeal Undead: Any living creature that dies in the [aura of entropy] area rises as an undead after 1 minute. Nonsentient beings become zombies or skeletons, while creatures with an Intelligence score of 7 or higher return as intelligent undead such as wights or ghouls. There's a 10% chance that an intelligent being's mind and body separate. Its consciousness rises as an incorporeal undead, such as a quell or wraith, and its body animates as a corporeal horror as normal.
Powerful Undead: ?
Undead Mockery of its Former Self: [During moderate infection sign of apocalypse] Dead beasts periodically animate as undead mockeries of their former selves. These undead act as parasitic hosts, transforming into spawn of Kyuss and spreading their infection to any wildlife they kill or interact with.
Worm-Infested Undead: ?
Undead Servant: ?
Acererak: ?
Alhoon: ?
Angel of Decay: The Ichor Sea
The two areas marked A on the map are part of a large sea of necromantic sludge formed from the decaying afterbirth of creation. The fluid about 200 feet deep a short distance away from the shoreline. The sea emits an aura of negative energy. All undead within 20 feet of the shore gain advantage on saving throws.
Any non-undead creature that come in contact with the Ichor Sea or starts its turn in the sea takes 14 (4d6) necrotic damage and must make a DC 23 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature suffers one level of exhaustion. If a creature dies to this effect, it rises as an angel of decay after 1d4 rounds.
Ichor Sea
The sea emits an aura of negative energy. All undead within 20 feet of the shore gain advantage on saving throws. Additionally, any non-undead creature that come in contact with the Ichor Sea or starts its turn in the sea takes 14 (4d6)necrotic damage and must make a DC 23 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature suffers one level of exhaustion. If a creature dies to this effect, it rises as an angel of decay (EdE 3) after 1d4 rounds.
Atropus, The World Born Dead: This moonlike orb is the stillborn afterbirth of the world's creation, an undead entity that desires nothing less than the end of the entire multiverse.
Atropus in Faerûn
In addition to the information given in the original book, a DM may wish to alter the lore of the Forgotten Realms at their table. Instead of constraining Atropus to be a leftover creation of the overgod Ao, they may wish to relate Atropus to Ao in a more equal manner, or they may wish to remove Ao from the setting altogether. In the latter case, use the default lore provided in the Background section to explain Atropus's origins.
Atropal: As stillborn creatures from the Negative Energy plane, atropals also serve as effective heralds in planar campaigns, acting as forerunners for the much larger threat to come.
Atropal Hulk: ?
Aspect of Atropus: ?
Evolved Atropal Scion: ?
Body: ?
Bone Dragon: ?
Corpse: ?
Dread Boneyard: ?
Famine Spirit: ?
Deathshrieker: ?
Ghostly Remnant: ?
Ghast: ?
Ghoul: Any living creature that dies in the [aura of entropy] area rises as an undead after 1 minute. Nonsentient beings become zombies or skeletons, while creatures with an Intelligence score of 7 or higher return as intelligent undead such as wights or ghouls. There's a 10% chance that an intelligent being's mind and body separate. Its consciousness rises as an incorporeal undead, such as a quell or wraith, and its body animates as a corporeal horror as normal.
Gorguth: ?
Gravecrawler: ?
Corporeal Horror: Any living creature that dies in the [aura of entropy] area rises as an undead after 1 minute. Nonsentient beings become zombies or skeletons, while creatures with an Intelligence score of 7 or higher return as intelligent undead such as wights or ghouls. There's a 10% chance that an intelligent being's mind and body separate. Its consciousness rises as an incorporeal undead, such as a quell or wraith, and its body animates as a corporeal horror as normal.
Lady Illmarrow: ?
Aspiring Lich: ?
Lich: ?
Lucather Majii: ?
Mummy Lord: ?
Nightwalker: ?
Quell: Any living creature that dies in the [aura of entropy] area rises as an undead after 1 minute. Nonsentient beings become zombies or skeletons, while creatures with an Intelligence score of 7 or higher return as intelligent undead such as wights or ghouls. There's a 10% chance that an intelligent being's mind and body separate. Its consciousness rises as an incorporeal undead, such as a quell or wraith, and its body animates as a corporeal horror as normal.
Maddened Remnant: Over time, the influence of Pandorym's mind has created undead guardians,the maddened remnants of those who failed to release it.
Shadow: ?
Angry Shadow: In a last act of freedom as the survivors strove to divert it into its prison, Pandorym lashed out at its betrayers. It utterly destroyed the bodies of a handful of mages and their assistants, leaving their suddenly insatiable souls intact. Panic ensued. A few summoners managed to escape, sealing the chamber against dimensional travel. The ghostly remnants of the rest fed on their former allies and co-conspirators, bolstering their numbers.
Shuffling Dead: ?
Skeleton: Even creatures that died before this [strong Restless Dead] sign manifested begin to rise as skeletons or zombies,depending on the condition of their corpses.
[A]ny creature that dies [during an overwhelming Restless Dead sign] automatically rises as a zombie 1 round after death. Previously dead creatures automatically animate as skeletons or zombies.
Any living creature that dies in the [aura of entropy] area rises as an undead after 1 minute. Nonsentient beings become zombies or skeletons, while creatures with an Intelligence score of 7 or higher return as intelligent undead such as wights or ghouls. There's a 10% chance that an intelligent being's mind and body separate. Its consciousness rises as an incorporeal undead, such as a quell or wraith, and its body animates as a corporeal horror as normal.
Restless Dead sign of the apocalypse.
Forest Giant Skeleton: ?
Spawn of Kyuss: Many cultists of the Worm That Walks learn to raise undead as spawn of Kyuss via the Worm Necromancer trait.
[During moderate infection sign of apocalypse] Dead beasts periodically animate as undead mockeries of their former selves. These undead act as parasitic hosts, transforming into spawn of Kyuss and spreading their infection to any wildlife they kill or interact with.
Worm Necromancer elder evil cultist trait.
By default, a creature infested by the Burrowing Worm action of a spawn of Kyuss eventually dies and rises as an undead.
Blessed Spawn of Kyuss: ?
Scion of Kyuss: ?
The Dead: ?
Ulgurstasta: ?
Wight: Any living creature that dies in the [aura of entropy] area rises as an undead after 1 minute. Nonsentient beings become zombies or skeletons, while creatures with an Intelligence score of 7 or higher return as intelligent undead such as wights or ghouls. There's a 10% chance that an intelligent being's mind and body separate. Its consciousness rises as an incorporeal undead, such as a quell or wraith, and its body animates as a corporeal horror as normal.
Wraith, Normal Wraith: Creatures slain by the poisonous air [from the vents on Atropus] rise as wraiths 1d4 rounds after death.
Any living creature that dies in the [aura of entropy] area rises as an undead after 1 minute. Nonsentient beings become zombies or skeletons, while creatures with an Intelligence score of 7 or higher return as intelligent undead such as wights or ghouls. There's a 10% chance that an intelligent being's mind and body separate. Its consciousness rises as an incorporeal undead, such as a quell or wraith, and its body animates as a corporeal horror as normal.
Dread Wraith: ?
Zombie Burrowing Worm: [During moderate infection sign of apocalypse] Dead beasts periodically animate as undead mockeries of their former selves. These undead act as parasitic hosts, transforming into spawn of Kyuss and spreading their infection to any wildlife they kill or interact with.
Worm Necromancer elder evil cultist trait.
Zombie: [W]henever a living creature dies [during a faint or stronger Restless Dead sign], there is a 20% chance that it will spontaneously rise as a zombie in1d4 rounds.
Even creatures that died before this [strong Restless Dead] sign manifested begin to rise as skeletons or zombies,depending on the condition of their corpses.
[A]ny creature that dies [during an overwhelming Restless Dead sign] automatically rises as a zombie 1 round after death. Previously dead creatures automatically animate as skeletons or zombies.
A creature [on the moonlet Atropus] that isn't a construct, star spawn, or undead that reaches 0 hit points dies instantly, rising as a zombie after 1 minute if nothing raises it beforehand.
Restless Dead sign of the apocalypse.
Beholder Zombie: ?
Ogre Zombie: ?

Restless Dead
"Too long have we reveled in our wickedness, too long have we sampled the forbidden—now the gods shun us, sealing the gates to heaven and leaving us lost among the dead."
When this sign appears, the demarcation between life and death grows ever more blurry. After souls depart, their bodies stir in a wretched existence neither alive nor dead. The sign of the restless dead first makes itself known by isolated occurrences of zombies and skeletons in the community. As it strengthens, the undead plague increases. Corpses pull themselves free from graves, slaughtering former friends and lovers and swelling their ranks until only the shuffling dead remain.
Effect: In the early stages of this sign, only a few of the dead spontaneously animate. Necromancy magic becomes more efficacious, while healing magic is suppressed. As the sign intensifies, more and more corpses rise, growing stronger all the while.
Details: Atropus is associated with this sign.

Worm Necromancer. When the cultist casts a spell that animates or creates undead, up to two of the undead can be turned into spawn of Kyuss.

Voadam

Legend
Elder Evils 5e – Bestiary
5e
Aspect of Atropus: ?
Zombie: A creature that isn't a construct, star spawn, or undead that reaches 0 hit points [within the regional effect of the Aspect of Atropus] dies instantly, rising as a zombie after 1 minute if nothing raises it beforehand.
Angel of Decay: ?
Gorguth: ?
Nightwing: ?
Atropal: ?
Bone Dragon: In the mortal sphere of influence, only the most dedicated and skilled necromancers are capable of animating a dragon as a skeleton. On Atropus, these "bone dragons" are just as common as any of its other denizens, and can even be summoned and controlled by some of the more powerful horrors that roam its surface.
Skeleton: ?
Young Red Bone Dragon: ?
Dread Boneyard: ?
Atropal Scion: ?
Specter: ?
Evolved Atropal Scion: ?
Wraith: The spirit of a humanoid slain by the [evolved] atropal [scion] rises as a wraith after 1d4 rounds. Constructs are not affected by this feature.
Dread Wraith Create Wraith power.
Famine Spirit: A humanoid slain by the famine spirit rises as a famine spirit 1d4 days after death.
Atropal Hulk: ?
Quell: ?
Lucather Majii, Quell: His encounter with the mind of Pandorym held unforeseen consequences for Lucather. In addition to stripping away his free will and instilling a hatred of divinity, constant contact with the crystalline prison also ripped his soul from his body.
Lucather exists as a quell, his incorporeal presence only an echo of his formerly handsome self.
Lich: ?
Deathskrieker: ?
Dread Wraith: ?
Spawn of Kyuss: A Medium or smaller creature that is slain by Kyuss is raised as a spawn of Kyuss under his control after 1d4 rounds. Constructs are not affected by this feature. Additionally, when Kyuss casts a spell that raises undead, he can choose for any number of the undead to be spawn of Kyuss.
When the herald [of Kyuss] casts a spell that animates or creates undead, up to two of the undead can be turned into spawn of Kyuss.
When Edwin [Tolstoff] casts a spell that animates or creates undead, up to two of the undead can be turned into spawn of Kyuss.
Blessed Spawn of Kyuss Burrowing Worm power.
Blessed Spawn of Kyuss: Kyuss Bless Spawn legendary action.
Worm: ?
Gravecrawler: ?
Giant Skeleton: ?
Forest Giant Skeleton: ?
Ulgurstasta: ?
Skeleton Immune to Acid and Necrotic Damage: A Large or smaller creature slain by the ulgurstasta is raised as a skeleton under the ulgurstasta's control. These skeletons are immune to acid and necrotic damage. Constructs and undead are not affected by this feature.
A Large or smaller creature slain by the scion [of Kyuss] is raised as a skeleton under the scion's control. These skeletons are immune to acid and necrotic damage. Constructs and undead are not affected by this feature.
Scion of Kyuss: ?

Create Wraith. The wraith targets a humanoid within 10 feet of it that has been dead for no longer than 1 minute and died violently. The target's spirit rises as a wraith in the space of its corpse or in the nearest unoccupied space. The wraith is under the wraith's control. The dread wraith can have no more than seven wraiths under its control at one time.

Bless Spawn (Costs 2 Actions). Kyuss targets one spawn of Kyuss within 60 feet of him. The target magically transforms into a blessed spawn of Kyuss. The target's hit points are raised to meet its new hit point maximum, even if it had taken damage before its transformation.

Burrowing Worm. A worm launches from the spawn of Kyuss at one humanoid that the spawn can see within 10 feet of it. The worm latches onto the target's skin unless the target succeeds on a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw. The worm is a Tiny undead with AC 6, 1 hit point, a 2 (-4) in every ability score, and a speed of 1 foot. While on the target's skin, the worm can be killed by normal means or scraped off using an action (the spawn can use this action to launch a scraped-off worm at a humanoid it can see within 10 feet of the worm). Otherwise, the worm burrows under the target's skin at the end of the target's next turn, dealing 1 piercing damage to it. At the end of each of its turns thereafter, the target takes 7 (2d6) necrotic damage per worm infesting it (maximum of 10d6). A worm-infested target dies if it drops to 0 hit points, then rises 10 minutes later as a spawn of Kyuss. If a worm-infested creature is targeted by an effect that cures disease or removes a curse, all the worms infesting it wither away.

Last edited:

Remove ads