Undead taxonomy

Sir Brennen

Legend
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Didn't some flavour text imply that elementals where used to "power" golems? So it would be elemental energy...
I don't have W&M with me, but I'll have to go back and check when I get a chance t see if this is mentioned. Given what we know about 4E cosmology, magic and monsters so far, it would make sense.
ShinRyuuBR said:
IIRC, traditionally, D&D golems are earth-elemental spirits bound by magic to sculpted physical forms. Not sure if they are all earth and all arcane, but mostly are.
I'd have to check the books on that too. That's the kind of fluff not always easily recalled since I first cracked my Monster Manual open.

But I'm also thinking about magically animated objects in general. I mean, really, isn't a golem just a powerful version of an animated object?

Sir Brennen said:
I don't have W&M with me, but I'll have to go back and check when I get a chance t see if this is mentioned. Given what we know about 4E cosmology, magic and monsters so far, it would make sense.
I was referring to 3.x flavor text, but don't let that stop you - maybe it's also something in W&M on this topic. (I couldn't check, lend the book to someone else...)

Keenath

Explorer
xechnao said:
So what about body+soul?? Who is this fella?!
I dunno about body, but a thing that lacks animus could be something like a demilich -- a creature with powerful mental powers or whatever, but no ability to move.

Steve Jung

Explorer
ShinRyuuBR said:
IIRC, traditionally, D&D golems are earth-elemental spirits bound by magic to sculpted physical forms. Not sure if they are all earth and all arcane, but mostly are.
Here's what the 1ed Monster Manual said:
Golems are magically created monsters. There are four different sorts, and each will be detailed separately. All but the flesh golem are created from earthen components. The former is created from the remains of humans. The creation of a golem involves ultra-powerful spells and elemental forces.
The 2ed Monstrous Manual says:
Golems are all made of elemental material. So far, the great wizards have only discovered how to use various earthen materials, such as clay, stone, iron, and even glass, to make golems. The exceptions, such as the flesh golem, use organic materials as components. The animating force of a golem is an elemental spirit from the elemental plane of Earth.... The process of creating the golem binds the unwilling spirit to the artificial body, and enslaves it to the will of the golem's creator. The nature of this spirit is unknown, and has so far eluded the grasp of all researchers.

Remove ads