Underdark Adventures

Lord Zack

Explorer
I'm presently trying to set up an Underdark area for my campaign. I'm wondering how to do it. Primarily the map. I do have the D1 module, but I'm not sure how well the map there will serve as a model, since I'm using a 5 mile per hex map for the surface and I want the two maps to line up. If I used D1 as an example each hex should have multiple tunnels running through them.

Corathon

First Post
Why is it a problem if there are multiple Underdark tunnels beneath each surface hex?

If you want to know how your Underdark and surface maps line up, you can just eyeball it, or you can pencil in the five mile hexes on your Underdark hex map. This is easy to do (see Hex Maps!
for an example, albeit with the large hexes being 4 times the size of the smaller ones, not 5).

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Some other large-scale underdark regions are covered in Dungeoneers Survival Guide for 1e (maps with sparse fluff), The Night Below for 2e (immense campaign-in-a-box), and the Forgotten Realms Underdark hardback for 3e (crunch, fluff, maps, the works). These should provide plenty of material to work with, whatever edition or setting you play in, with varying amounts of work required. 3e's Dungeonscape is also good, if you are looking for general advice and 3e-specific crunch.

There was also an awesome, awesome thread here on ENWorld about games set in and around the Sunless Sea, but I lost the link and can't remember what it was called. It was fantastic, though, brimming with outrageous ideas - cities built on stalagtites, ships made from giant undead beetles, weird climactic effects etc etc. Anyone got a link to it?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
There was also an awesome, awesome thread here on ENWorld about games set in and around the Sunless Sea, but I lost the link and can't remember what it was called. It was fantastic, though, brimming with outrageous ideas - cities built on stalagtites, ships made from giant undead beetles, weird climactic effects etc etc. Anyone got a link to it?

Think this may be it: http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...n-layout-map-flow-old-school-game-design.html

May be this one: http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/194818-sail-sunless-sea.html

Could be: http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...-tell-me-about-your-underdark-campaign-s.html

Last edited:

Lord Zack

Explorer
Why is it a problem if there are multiple Underdark tunnels beneath each surface hex?

If you want to know how your Underdark and surface maps line up, you can just eyeball it, or you can pencil in the five mile hexes on your Underdark hex map. This is easy to do (see Hex Maps!
for an example, albeit with the large hexes being 4 times the size of the smaller ones, not 5).

The problem is, with that density the tunnels will be really packed together, making the map pretty confusing.

Gilladian

Adventurer
There's also no reason every region has to be that dense. In fact, I suspect it should be fairly unusual. When I did a huge area of underdark tunnels for my campaign world, I had lots of regions that were virtually empty of passages, and then small dense knots of caves and tunnels, and then more regions that were pocked with large caves and caverns and seas. All connected up eventually, one way or another, but not all were equally densely packed, nor equally populated.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
As well as colour coding for depth use different line styles for different 'quality' tunnels. Unbroken line for a series of large tunnels/galleries/chambers that are (relatively) easy travel through; Dashed line for a smaller series of tunnels/et.al. with more travel hazards (sudden drops; narrows; unstable tunnels) ; Dotted line for a series of very difficult tunnels/et.al. (lots of crawling on your belly through tunnels so tight that a medium creature can't turn around in them; sudden plunges; water hazards/flooded tunnels.)

And I'd go for something like a small circle around junctions between different levels to make them more obvious.

And another icon to mark exits to the surface.

just some thoughts.

Remove ads