Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Another New Ranger Variant

*Deleted by user*

Quartz

Hero
Is Skirmisher's Stealth an auto-win for Ranger / Rogue multi-classed characters, most especially Assassins? Activate SS and you can then Sneak Attack.

Paraxis

Explorer
Just noticed they gave them two good saves Dexterity & Wisdom. That breaks an unwritten rule of 5e class design, even monks and phb rangers don't have that they get Strength & Dexterity.

Is Skirmisher's Stealth an auto-win for Ranger / Rogue multi-classed characters, most especially Assassins? Activate SS and you can then Sneak Attack.

Balance-wise, you're basically assumed to always get sneak attack damage as a rogue, so it's not a big deal. I don't see how SS grants surprise though, so that particular feature seems overly advantageous for Assassins. Where it's an issue is Abuscade, which grants a special "turn", thus allowing for sneak attack an extra time on the first round. If it was an extra action on your turn, they could only SA once.

Inconnunom

Explorer
Balance-wise, you're basically assumed to always get sneak attack damage as a rogue, so it's not a big deal. I don't see how SS grants surprise though, so that particular feature seems overly advantageous for Assassins.

Yea that's a good point. Abuscade doesn't make the enemies surprised. This feature doesn't suddenly make assassin's crit any more than they would normally or if they grabbed the alert feat.

Where it's an issue is Abuscade, which grants a special "turn", thus allowing for sneak attack an extra time on the first round. If it was an extra action on your turn, they could only SA once.

True, but if you are the only one who can go first, it will be harder to set up sneak attack in most situations. It's much easier if an ally is within 5' of the target already.

Yea that's a good point. Abuscade doesn't make the enemies surprised. This feature doesn't suddenly make assassin's crit any more than they would normally or if they grabbed the alert feat.

I'm having trouble remembering the order of operations. Wouldn't Ambuscade trigger in the surprise round? So the Assassin would get their surprise attack that crits if it hits, then Ambuscade would grant another turn resulting in another attack that crits if it hits?

True, but if you are the only one who can go first, it will be harder to set up sneak attack in most situations. It's much easier if an ally is within 5' of the target already.

IIRC, Assassins gain advantage if the target hasn't acted, so they would get it there.

tsadkiel

Legend
On a first (and not particularly deep, I'll admit) reading, I am not a fan. It's mostly a flavor thing - I'm not wild about "hardwired mystical spirit companions for everyone," and I especially dislike the specific animal being set by subclass.

Remove ads

Remove ads