Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Divine Domains

And, here's the direct link to the PDF http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Cleric.pdf Forge, Grave, and Protection domains...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm beginning to think that next year's late fall release (á la SCAG or Volo's Guide to Monsters) will be an Eberron book. The Forge domain here is perfect for clerics of Onatar, and the College of Whispers from last week was perfect for the houses Phiarlan and Thuranni.

I'm still liking the theory that a Big Book of Crunch will also be a Big Book of Setting Support at the same time...especially with the Artificer Leit Motif in the Forge Domain.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I noticed that Eyes of the Grave is likely to run into the same issue that the new ranger's Primeval Awareness does:

"Sorry, Player, I just don't know precisely how many undead are within 1 mile of you or what types they happen to be." is going to be a common response, as it currently is in my Curse of Strahd campaign that has a Nuveau Ranger in it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I noticed that Eyes of the Grave is likely to run into the same issue that the new ranger's Primeval Awareness does:

"Sorry, Player, I just don't know precisely how many undead are within 1 mile of you or what types they happen to be." is going to be a common response, as it currently is in my Curse of Strahd campaign that has a Nuveau Ranger in it.

Without checking, it looks like it is word for word from the Neo-Rangers ability, with limitations?

Your deity responds to your prayer:

"Lots, dude...oodles, even. More than you can count..."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't disagree with that. There may be plenty of design space in, say, Sorcerer (or Druid, or other areas).

I'm just say that, given the way they have it set up, it's relatively simple to set up new subclasses (divine domains).

Cf. the Wizard, which should be easy, but isn't (because of the identification with spell types). There would be design space to create a completely different type of wizard not based on the schools of magic, but that is a non-trivial undertaking.

Oh, for sure; they've bandied about the idea of having deity specific domains (Odin Domain, Helm Domain, what have you), and on fluff there is nothing going against that. But at a certain point it becomes remixing as much as anything.

I think I would like Grave better if they did the add wisdom modifier to cantrips instead of adding melee damage. It would help differentiate it from Death Domain. Also, swap out Blight for Aura of Life. If you are supposed to be an undead hunter, that seems like a much better spell.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think I would like Grave better if they did the add wisdom modifier to cantrips instead of adding melee damage. It would help differentiate it from Death Domain. Also, swap out Blight for Aura of Life. If you are supposed to be an undead hunter, that seems like a much better spell.

Dunno if they wanted to differentiate it from Death toooo much, just make it less eeeeviiiil.

Good point on the spells...

Yeah, but look at the balance of the domain spells. One spell can be considered "good," while the other can be considered "evil."

I see your point, but I can also see what they were attempting in their design philosophy

Remove ads

Remove ads