Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana is Here - and it's all about EBERRON!

Pretty awesome that this series has started :D http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-eberron Will Greyhawk or Dragonlance be next?? Probably Dragonlance. Does Greyhawk have any particular crunchy player bits that aren't covered by the PHB already?

jgsugden

Legend
Warforged are not weak. That +1 AC is huge - and the ability score caps of 20 in general make the ability score bonuses less important.

I like the format. It gives a nice foundation for casual use of the mechanics. If you want an Eberron game, you can combine it with 3E materials to get there.

Yes, except the Kalashtar and a couple of iconic monsters, we have everything we need to start an Eberron campaign. Sadly, I think it means that we'll never get a 5e Eberron world book, but what we have is good enough.

JCS

Explorer
What confused me about the dragonmark rules . . . do you need to take the dragonmark feat three times to gain a greater mark? Or does the mark automatically improve with level? The wording used implied both at different points . . .

Agreed - this is unclear. I'd like to see something official on this just for clarification.

From a balance standpoint, Magic Initiate grants two cantrips (at-will) and one first level spell. Dragonmark initially grants one cantrip and one first level spell (but the way I'm reading this the cantrip is not at-will and requires rest to use). However, if a single feat, you eventually gain access to second/third level spells.

Seems slightly better than Magic Initiate, but since the spells are more flavor oriented, perhaps not unbalancing. I'm not sure I'd trade a Feat to be able to cast Tongues once per day, for example.

Can't complain about free stuff but itt looks so very unprofessional, say when you compare it (and the rest of the free stuff) to the effort put in by Paizo with their BETA releases.

Still it is free, seems pretty good (I am not an EB fan so can't talk to it's Eberron-ness) and gives you the important stuff.

But as was pointed out on another thread why aren't there big links to DnDClassics and WotC shouting out - look here for all the fluff you need, so easy to convert the crunch to 5E too! OK for us HardCore RPG types, but for Joe Public not so good.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
And this has bothered me since 3e, why don't all Warforged have darkvision. Let me get this straight people are going to spend the time, money, and magical resources to make a living construct warrior for a world war to be marketed to all sides, give those warriors the ability to go without food or much sleep but not give them the ability to see in the dark? Makes no sense what so ever.

It's always possible that adding darkvision to the creation was an incredibly expensive addition to create. It could also be, since the process for creating warforged is a rough copy of stuff they found in Xendrik that most of their attempts to create darkvision warforged failed or caused other unforseen side affects. I see it as Warforged were an experimental magic, not a modern assembly line. Yeah, they could make a lot of the basic model, but if they tried to stray too far away from that there started to be problems. Of course that could make for a great story and could even be used to explain the lord of blades. That could also be an interesting feat for warforged. :D Let them pick from a list of "modifications".

As far as the armor thing goes, I do miss the 3e warforged armor feats. But they did it this way in 4e too. It allows the warforged to still be unique but brings them in line more with the other races. Plus it allows the character to use magical armors that they find. I'd definitely let a warforged player take a regular suit of armor, spend a small amount of cash/do some modifications, and make it a more semi-permanent attachement fluff wise.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
I think they need more to pimp out these races, especially the Warforged since in 3e the Warforged had all those options for modifying themselves as they gained levels through taking different feats (if I remember correctly).

The way the Dragonmarks seem to work to me is that you take them once and they automatically increase at those levels.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
I think they need more to pimp out these races, especially the Warforged since in 3e the Warforged had all those options for modifying themselves as they gained levels through taking different feats (if I remember correctly).

The way the Dragonmarks seem to work to me is that you take them once and they automatically increase at those levels.

I agree with that interpretation of the Dragonmarks. I like the idea above about letting characters have non-mechanical least dragonmarks that evolve when they take the feat.

I think warforged would benefit from a "Warforged Customization" feat where they can pick 2 from a list: here's a quick spitball
ability enhancement: +1 to an ability score of their choice
Darkvision 60ft (+60 each time)
Reinforcement: +1 AC
+10ft movement
natural ability: proficiency in two skills
Proficiency in a save of your choice
etc...

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
But as was pointed out on another thread why aren't there big links to DnDClassics and WotC shouting out - look here for all the fluff you need, so easy to convert the crunch to 5E too! OK for us HardCore RPG types, but for Joe Public not so good.

There is! The following text appears both in the intro page for the article, and on the first page of the PDF:
WotC said:
Full details on the Eberron setting are available in several PDF products available through dndclassics.com.

Remove ads

Remove ads