Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana is Here - and it's all about EBERRON!

Pretty awesome that this series has started :D http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-eberron Will Greyhawk or Dragonlance be next?? Probably Dragonlance. Does Greyhawk have any particular crunchy player bits that aren't covered by the PHB already?

I meant on the website itself, in the D&D Basics download sections, on the front page ... Want more try our hard cover books or buy older edition PDFs for easy converting to 5E etc etc.

Then again maybe converting isn't easy for those who are casual!

bmfrosty

Explorer
I meant on the website itself, in the D&D Basics download sections, on the front page ... Want more try our hard cover books or buy older edition PDFs for easy converting to 5E etc etc.

Then again maybe converting isn't easy for those who are casual!
I hope we a hardcover conversion of the core Eberron books (sections of two or three of them into one) and then a bunch of PDF errata for adapting the Eberron adventures to 5e.

Also, all the Eberron stuff on dndclassics.com is on sale right now. Like 40% off.

damnbul

First Post
I to am glad they released this. Was well done, but still work in progress. It is all for testing.
I to believe the stats should reflect like the base races in the PHB. But not hard to alter for anyone's game. The feat was well done, and I too believe you get the spells as you advance (taking the feat 1 time).
Warforged I think are fine.
Shifter I feel has to many choices. People are going to choose which ever they feel fits best with there build. But Nothing really stands out that makes it game breaking. It works fine
Changling on the other hand as written is way over powered. The word Polymorph makes it down right bad ass. IMO alter self in place of Polymorph would have been more than adequate. But Polymorph means you have pretty much unlimited HP, great stats if you see orc warlords, and every race (med size) in the PHB whenever you want there racial abilities, stats changing every action you switch forms...etc. It blows away every race in the PHB just because they used the word Polymorph.

So Ty for releasing the free content, very much appreciated. I look forward to more. Hopefully when you get the feedback from the masses you will make good changes :)

Astrosicebear

First Post
I still dont know for sure whether Keith was responsible for this design draft or not. His website lists the article, but is vague in his involvement. @Hellcow care to comment?

Because like his website says, this is a draft. I think there are a few things people would like to see changed.

- Warforged need plating options.
- Artificer seems like its missing the mark
- Dragonmarks as feats dont seem to work. Better introduced as backgrounds?

Only by speaking up can we hope to make some positive changes for a final source.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I still dont know for sure whether Keith was responsible for this design draft or not. His website lists the article, but is vague in his involvement. @Hellcow care to comment?

He's on a cruise right now, but said "I wasn't involved in the UA - but there's lots of Eberron material I didn't work on (5 Nations, Magic of, Forge of War, Faiths)."

Astrosicebear

First Post
He's on a cruise right now, but said "I wasn't involved in the UA - but there's lots of Eberron material I didn't work on (5 Nations, Magic of, Forge of War, Faiths)."

I wholly figured. I mean Keith doesnt own Eberron anymore. Wonder if because of the contest he even gets residuals, or if it was an outright work for hire purchase?

In any case, like his site says, Mearls and team WILL listen to ideas for finalizing these mechanics, so speak out with ideas to improve this draft.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
I wholly figured. I mean Keith doesnt own Eberron anymore. Wonder if because of the contest he even gets residuals, or if it was an outright work for hire purchase?

Pretty sure it was a work for hire. All of the entries became property of Wizards, including the final 10(?) 100+ page treatments.

Remathilis

Legend
- Warforged need plating options.
- Artificer seems like its missing the mark
- Dragonmarks as feats dont seem to work. Better introduced as backgrounds?

1. Plating won't work in 5e. The 3.5 notion was the warforged just enchanted themselves. Considering how magic items creation works in 5e (IE it doesn't unless the DM wants it to) that wouldn't work. Furthermore: there seemed to be a LOT of warforged running around covered in adamantine and or mithral (I did a story about a serial killer targeting WF; he was an artificer who was stealing their expensive armor) I don't mind warforged wearing armor (or bonding to it) since it really is a simpler way to go.

1b. On that note, I don't mind WF being heal-able. 3.5 WF broke so many rules and required so much rules patching as to be a bother. I much prefer WF be close to normal, even if it doesn't make total sense.

2. Agreed on artificer. The subclass seems fine if you were looking for an artificer on faerun, but not Eberron.

3. Disagreed. Backgrounds would work if and only lf you want Dragonmarks to never grant spells again. Who wouldn't trade in something like "criminal contacts" or "research" for "cast identify 1/day"? Feats are the only place such a power-boost makes sense.

Though the more I look back on it; the more I realize Eberron is mired in 3.5ism. Artificers depend on the 3.5 method of cooking items. Cheap magic for sale. Warforged rely on all manner of feats and prestige classes to work. One whole race doesn't work due to lack of psionics. Deathless, double scimitars, etc. While this hack is good, it lacks what made Eberron unique, and unfortunately, what made it unique was how it took 3.5's assumptions to its natural conclusion; something 5e often-times contradicts.

I'm not sure anything can really recapture those assumptions without MASSIVE additions and changes to 5e.

Remove ads

Remove ads