Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana March 2016 Review

Vael

Legend
I'll agree, I love reviewing DM Guild material, but as a part of UA? Not a fan, I'd rather get a glimpse into what other official material is being worked up.

Eric V

Hero
I like this idea a LOT, but not in place of existing UA content. This was disappointing.

Even if Mike was slammed by Gary Con he could have at least given a minor revision or update on an article, like Battlesystem or the Eberron options.

Or psionics! I started playtesting the Mystic, hoping something more official would come out later and now my chance for that has been halved. :/

I like this idea a LOT, but not in place of existing UA content. This was disappointing.

Even if Mike was slammed by Gary Con he could have at least given a minor revision or update on an article, like Battlesystem or the Eberron options.

Me too, I'll check those products out. Unlikely to purchase as I normally only get print/PDF products. But I'll look
However this should be in addition to WotC stuff, updated or new :(

Well, except that they don't allow this stuff in their official campaign. So we are supposed to pay to be allowed to playtest it and then pay again for the official released stuff that will later be allowed in Adventurers League.

I must of have missed the part in Rise of Tiamat, PotA, and OotA where it said you couldn't use anything from the DMG in running/playing the adventure. Nope, looked again, and I didn't miss it, because it wasn't there. I have serious doubts that LoS will have anything like that either.

I am wracking my mind trying to understand the "pay to playtest and then pay again for the official release" comment. Are you saying that the DMG is some kind of WotC conspiracy? As far as I can tell, no one selling anything on the DMG is obligated to consider the comments of anyone using the product (unless they are violating DMG rules), so by definition, it isn't a playtest.

Al2O3

Explorer
I must of have missed the part in Rise of Tiamat, PotA, and OotA where it said you couldn't use anything from the DMG in running/playing the adventure. Nope, looked again, and I didn't miss it, because it wasn't there. I have serious doubts that LoS will have anything like that either.

I am wracking my mind trying to understand the "pay to playtest and then pay again for the official release" comment. Are you saying that the DMG is some kind of WotC conspiracy? As far as I can tell, no one selling anything on the DMG is obligated to consider the comments of anyone using the product (unless they are violating DMG rules), so by definition, it isn't a playtest.
If "official campaign"=Adventurer's league then it is very specific about what is and isn't allowed.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Perhaps we will now see an increase in the quality of the new mechanics released in future UAs? It seems like WotC has double the time to work on them now.

I do think that WotC highlighting DMsGuild stuff is very cool. I think it'll spur more content creation and perhaps even an uptick in quality. If I know a work I created could be featured I will probably put a little bit more polish on it.

Truename

First Post
Perhaps we will now see an increase in the quality of the new mechanics released in future UAs? It seems like WotC has double the time to work on them now.

Exactly this. WotC has been going for a "quality over quantity" approach in 5e ever since the beginning. I have no doubt that Mearls & Co. are working on *something* in exchange for cutting down their monthly UA workload. Personally, I'm hoping the extra time is going into even better paid material.

Remove ads