• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Unearthed Arcana Playtest Packet 6 Video

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm a little surprised about all subclasses moving to 3, as that doesn't resolve the Warlock Patron/Cleric Domain concern, which did seem to be driving some of the resistance to the changed progression in general. I'm wondering if they have some other solution to that in mind.
The changes to the fluff text already addresses that sufficiently, in my opinion.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Its just a repeat of history of Exploration in WOTC DND.

-> Release cruddy, half-baked mechanics
-> No one runs it, half the people forget why its even there
-> Repeat until no one cares when its deleted outright.
I’d argue that the exploration mechanics are actually quite well-baked and functional, if you can decipher them. They’re just presented extremely poorly. They’re functionally pretty much the same as the exploration system from the D&D Next playtest, but for some inscrutable reason they decided to break up the system up into pieces and hide them between like four different parts of the PHB and DMG.

I’d argue that the exploration mechanics are actually quite well-baked and functional, if you can decipher them. They’re just presented extremely poorly. They’re functionally pretty much the same as the exploration system from the D&D Next playtest, but for some inscrutable reason they decided to break up the system up into pieces and hide them between like four different parts of the PHB and DMG.

Thats what I mean, in part, by half-baked. Rules that have to be pieced together from the 9 Winds they got scattered to aren't functionally any different from a loose collection of disconnected mechanics.

Plus for me Ive spent an obnoxious amount of time researching and contemplating the idea of exploration in a TTRPG, so for me, even the pieced together rules are still very lacking, if a decent enough start.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads