D&D (2024) Unearthed Arcana Playtest Packet 6 Video

The return to previous subclass levels shows how difficult it is to change the deep structure of a game, once it is put in use.

I don't think subclass levels are a 'deep structure' element. Especially given how haphazardly they were thrown about the first time.

It's just that their default stance is to just reprint 2014 as is, so anything that doesn't get only glowing praise? Back to 2014 with you (see: exhaustion).

HammerMan

Legend
I wonder if they'll go back and give Fighter anything of their own, now that everyone gets weapon masteries.
I hope so but it feels like they are going back to the 2014 book to keep the “back complex” and “it’s not a new edition” so I doubt it. Bout the rouge gets something so maybe

I'm cautiously nervous. This is feeling far more closer now to nip-tuck than a reconstruction
I agree that is what it feels like. I like the “refinement” terminology.

Now this might mean no split in players so this will be both interesting and a little less

For Monk it sounds like Open Hand and Shadow, might be in the packet. Though I see the need to test out the "baseline" Monk which is Open Hand, Way of the Elements needs the most help and most feedback to steer it in the right direction. I feel that they should bother putting in that subclass among the first because of that.

ZetaShift

Eternity will pass before I stop playing Monks
I really hope Fighters get something new, cause they pretty much have no defining features besides like Action Surge(one more "fighter-esque" action per short rest woohoo) now that every martial has access to Weapon Masteries. Sure they have Weapon Expert, but that's at level 7 which most campaigns end around the end of T2 and there is absolutely no way that ODND fixed the issue of T3 and T4 being unplayable.

Reynard

Legend
It's just that their default stance is to just reprint 2014 as is, so anything that doesn't get only glowing praise? Back to 2014 with you (see: exhaustion).
Wait -- I haven't been following the development for a couple months. Did they drop the new 10 level exhaustion and go back to the clunky, punishing 2014 version?

Remove ads