Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Presents Alternative Encounter Building Guidelines

WotC's Mike Mearls has posted the latest Unearthed Arcana, presenting an alternate set of encounter-building guidelines for D&D. "Though this approach uses the same basic math underlying the encounter system presented in the Dungeon Master’s Guide, it makes a few adjustments to how it presents that math to produce a more flexible system. These guidelines will be of interest to DMs who want to emphasize combat in their games, who want to ensure that a foe isn’t too deadly for a specific group of characters, and who want to understand the relationship between a character’s level and a monster’s challenge rating."

WotC's Mike Mearls has posted the latest Unearthed Arcana, presenting an alternate set of encounter-building guidelines for D&D. "Though this approach uses the same basic math underlying the encounter system presented in the Dungeon Master’s Guide, it makes a few adjustments to how it presents that math to produce a more flexible system. These guidelines will be of interest to DMs who want to emphasize combat in their games, who want to ensure that a foe isn’t too deadly for a specific group of characters, and who want to understand the relationship between a character’s level and a monster’s challenge rating."

It's four pages, and includes various tables divided into a series of five steps - Assess the Characters, Encounter Size, Determine Numbers and Challenge Ratings, Select Monsters, and Add Complications. The latter step includes d8 monster personalities, d6 monster relationships, terrain, traps, and random events. Find it here.

Original post by MechaTarrasque said:
At the D&D website:

pemerton

Legend
Exactly four? No. But it did assume a ballpark of 3-5 encounters in terms of balance. That's how they arrived at the number of healing surges and balanced player abilities. They didn't just pull that number from the aether.
Can you tell me where this assumption is stated?

To put it another way: it is one thing to build a system so that it is able to perform within certain parameters. It is another to build it with the goal being to fit within, or be balanced solely within, those parameters.

For instance, here is a run-down of an "adventuring day" from my 4e game, when the PCs were mid-paragon:

Recently, the PCs in my game took on the following sequence of encounters without an extended rest:

*Comp 2 L14 skill challenge (as a result of which each PC lost one encounter power until their next extended rest);

*L17 combat;

*L15 combat;

*L7 combat;

*L13 combat;

*L15 combat;

*Comp 1 L14 skill challenge;

*L16 combat;

*L14 combat;

*L13 combat;

*Comp 1 L15 skill challenge;

*L16 combat (the L15 solo was defeated by being pushed over a bridge down a waterfall);

*L15 combat (the solo returned later in the night, having survived the fall and climbed back up).​

The PCs started this day at 14th level, and finished it at 15th.

Admittedly some of the encounters involved waves/split opposition rather than a unified force; but equally, in some of the encounter the PCs were split and couldn't bring all their power to bear simultaneously or in a co-ordinated fashion.

I continue to find 4e PCs very resilient.

It's not a coincidence that 4e is very forgiving/flexible vis-a-vis the length of the adventuring day: the amount of mechanical capacity a 4e PC can bring to bear in a given interval between short rests is only loosely related to the amount of mechanical capacity that PC can bring to bear in a given interval between extended rests. This is because most "oomph" comes from encounter powers (and other encounter-based resources, like action points); and the significant cap on hit point recovery tends to be the availability of healing powers rather than of healing surges.

This means that an encounter can be very challenging and dramatic even if it does not consume many "daily" resources (eg because the terrain, or the manoeuvrability of an opponent, or the fictional context of a skill challenge, made it difficult for the players, via their PCs, to bring their abilities to bear upon the situation).

The same phenomenon is also what makes mechanical balance relatively easy to measure and achieve: because no significant allowance needs to be made for the difference between nova-ing or not. (At least, not significant compared to AD&D, 3E or 5e.)

Which means that the encounter-building guidelines are just as useful in the context of the "adventuring day" that I just posted, or in the context of an adventuring day in which only a handful of encounters takes place. They don't need to rest on any assumption about 3 vs 5 vs (by my count of the above) 9 encounters at or around the PC's level between extended rests.

In 3e and 4e, baseline encounters were designed so you wouldn't face that kind of unfair fight that required lateral thinking. Encounters were a tactical puzzle that could be "solved" through coordinated use of powers.
I can't comment on 3E, with which I have only limited experience.

As for 4e and "lateral thinking", you need to tell me what you mean by "lateral thinking": some people think that AD&D players using burning oil to do mass AoE damage (3d6 at 1st level) is lateral thinking; I think of it as standard operating procedure. I don't know whether you regard a 4e fighter leaping onto the back of a flying dragon so as to gain OAs when it moves and thereby knock it prone thus driving it to the ground (in the fiction, pinning a wing) as "lateral thinking" or not - but to me that is as "creative" or "lateral" as using oil or smoke or the other standard techniques for dealing with the Keep; or the flying thief on a rope to deal with the ToH.

Please refer to page 58 and 59 of the DMG. Really, pages 56-59+ layout a by-the-book encounter. Which is what I'm talking about, designing encounters by following "the rules".
You seem to have a much lower threshold for calling something "a rule" than I do.

Page 58 of the 4e DMG introduces those examples thus:

Here are templates you can fill in with monsters of your own choosing that combine different roles and levels into dynamic encounters. . . .

The example encounters given in this section serve to illustrate the sorts of adversaries you can produce from the creatures in the Monster Manual.​

To me that doesn't read like a rule. They're examples. There are other examples in the MM that don't fit any of these templates. (For example, the first suggested encounter in the 4e MM is on p 9. It suggests 1 aboleth slime mage (level 17 artillery), 2 aboleth lashers (level 17 brute) and 9 kuo-toa guards (level 16 minion). This does not fit any of the DMG templates.)

Pages 56 and 67 do not set out any "by-the-book" encounters either. They give advice on correlating encounter level to difficulty:

An easy encounter is one or two levels lower than the party’s level.

A standard encounter is of the party’s level, or one level higher.

A hard encounter is two to four levels higher than the party’s level.​

There is no prescription as to what level encounters a GM should use. What I regard as the key advice is found on pp 56, 101 and 104:

Building an encounter is a matter of choosing threats appropriate to the characters and combining them in interesting and challenging ways. . . . Encounter-building is a mixture of art and science as you combine these threats together. . . .

Know the characters’ capabilities so you can build encounters that test those resources. . . . Know what the characters are capable of, and then design to reward the clever use of those powers. . . .

When you’re building an adventure, try to vary the encounters you include, including combat and noncombat challenges, easy and difficult encounters, a variety of settings and monsters, and situations that appeal to your players’ different personalities and motivations. . . .

An encounter with five different kinds of monsters is complex for the players and for you, so mix those up with wolf pack encounters (a group made up of a single
kind of monster; see page 59 in Chapter 4) as well as more straightforward encounter types. . . .​

The specific advice on encounter difficulty is found on pp 56-7 and 104:

You can offer your players a greater challenge or an easier time by setting your encounter level two or three levels higher or one or two levels lower than the party’s level. It’s a good idea to vary the difficulty of your encounters over the course of an adventure, just as you vary other elements of encounters to keep things interesting . . .

The majority of the encounters in an adventure should be moderate difficulty—challenging but not overwhelming, falling right about the party’s level or one higher. . . .

Hard encounters are two to three levels above the party, and can include monsters that are five to seven levels above the characters. These encounters really test the characters’ resources, and might force them to take an extended rest at the end. They also bring a greater feeling of accomplishment, though, so make sure to include about one such encounter per character level.​

My own experience is that, at tiers above Heroic, this advice is overly conservative; particularly at Epic tier.

the rules tell you the maximum difficulty for an encounter. If you're playing by the rules, you're not going to put a party against an encounter with a budget outside of their expected level range.
There is no rule that caps encounters at 4 or fewer levels above the party's level. And I suspect that I'm not the only GM who has found that, at epic tier, level +6 to level +8 makes for a suitably climactic combat encounter.

That said, the context of an encounter can be very significant. As described here, when I ran G2 in my 4e game a 27th level dragon encounter for 26th level PCs was more challenging than some higher-level encounters, because the aerial circumstances favoured the dragon over the PCs in their Thundercloud Tower.

To me, this reinforces my view that what makes encounters interesting and memorable is not the encounter level per se, but the fiction, which - at least in 4e, given the nature of PC building and action resolution in the system - will include the clever stratagems and surprises pulled out by the players (via their PCs) to try and get the better of the situation.

One encounter that I remember pretty well despite GMing it years ago involved 5 level 10 PCs against a single cave bear. I remember it because the players decided to have their PCs tame, rather than kill, the bear; and the player who initiated that approach said, at the end, "I feel good about not having killed that bear".

When I try to think of the last boring encounter that resulted from my use of the 4e encounter-building guidelines, I have a lot of trouble. Maybe a one-on-one arena battle between a PC and an ogre, around 4 years ago.

Straight fights can be fun to play. But there's nothing inherently special with them.

Provided the fight is an appropriate challenge, the difference between a couple orcs in a 10 ft x 10 ft room and two dozen balors in a 100 ft x 100 ft platform is largely numbers. Nothing in a balanced encounter makes it memorable. Nothing in a standard encounter is special. It's just going through the motions. It's fun to play and could have a wide variety or story implications and roleplaying moments, but nothing in a straight fight becomes fun to retell. It's just that fight where everyone rolled expected numbers, used an appropriate amount of resources, and took an average amount of damage. We've all had that fight a dozen times and there's no point in telling that story. It's just not memorable.

What makes a fight memorable is everything else. All the stuff that isn't in the book, that isn't covered by the encounter building rules.
If those are your ideas of a "standard" encounter than no wonder they're not memorable! I haven't had that fight a dozen times. I've never run an encounter like that in 8 years of GMing 4e.

I've followed the key advice that I identified above (plus advice on terrain, stakes etc found in the two DMGs), and that has given me pretty good results.

pemerton

Legend
the "balance" of AD&D is mostly race/class combos relative to each other, rather than characters against the world. Parties were larger and made up of characters of different levels (sometimes wildly different), and encounter building advice boiled down to "put tougher stuff on deeper levels" and what numbers were "baked in" to the random encounter tables. Seeing that skeletons were on "1st level" encounter tables while wights were on "3rd level" (or whatever it actually was, it's been a long time) told the budding homebrew DM that wights were probably not something to mess around with for a starting level party. But Keep On the Borderlands has an ogre in one cave, a minotaur in another, and rooms with 20+ orcs just sitting there, where 1st level parties could blunder into them.
This is what I mean when I say that AD&D is forgiving. It works with a rough sense of "tougher" or "less tough", but it's scaling is not sufficiently steep to make the sort of encounter building seen in later editions all that applicable.

PC armour classes are relatively static once the PCs get to 2nd level and so have enough money to buy the best non-magical armour available to their classes. Monster/NPC damage is also relatively static (eg hobgoblins do d8 damage, ogres with 4x the hp do d10 damage, hill giants with about 8x the hp do 2d8 damage). So scaling is basically in hit points that can be absorbed (similar to 5e) and in to hit bonus (which is a bit different from 5e, which makes damage scaling more important than hit bonus scaling).

Consider an ogre vs a 3rd level fighter. The ogre hits AC 2 on a 13+ (40% chance), and so is dealing about 2 points of damage per round, and so will probably take 4 or more rounds to kill the fighter (around 6 on average, or 8 if the fighter has a CON bonus to hp). The fighter hits the ogre's AC 5 on a 13 before any bonuses, and deals d12 with a longsword before any bonuses. Call it +1 to hit, +2 to damage and the fighter is dealing an average of nearly 4 per round, which will defeat the ogre in 5 rounds on average, and in 3 rounds without requiring absurdly lucky rolls.

What will kill a 3rd level fighter is not so much a confrontation with a single ogre, but a group or sequence of ogres. So a 3rd level party can have a chance against a lair of ogres provided they can find a way to deal with them a handful at a time (eg barriers, luring them out one-by-one, stealth assaults, etc). I think this is quite different from the maths of 3E and 4e, where the simultaneous scaling of defences, damage, hit points and to-hit bonus makes the gaps across levels much more significant even for encounters with single foes. (I don't know what the 3E "solution" is to this difference from AD&D; in 4e the solution is to rewrite that single ogre as a lower-level elite or solo.)

I'm sorry, I had to stop here. Maybe after I get over my fit of laughing.
To be fair, AD&D is very forgiving in a way: when your character dies (which isn't all that unlikely, since even coming back from the dead is potentially lethal in that game), it doesn't take much time to make a new one, even if you are getting to make a replacement character that is higher than 1st level.
There's no need to be rude.

You asserted that AD&D is not built with balance in mind. Gygax asserts, in the rulebooks that he wrote (or, at least, compiled) that it is. I think he knows better than you what his design goal was.

As for AD&D being forgiving, I think it was obvious in the context that I meant "forgiving as to the relationship between a given encounter and the range of PC levels that might tackle it". See my ogre vs 3rd level fighter maths above for an illustration.

The difference between a 1st, 3rd and 5th level party in KotB is not the ability to survive an encounter with any particular foe, but the ability to manage the rate at which foes are encountered and the number of foes encountered at a time. This is why "cunning strategems" are important in KotB.

I know some people like to paint KotB-style D&d as rugged and virtuous, and 3E/4e encounter-style D&D as decadent and pissweak, but they are simply different sorts of rational response to different mechanical parameters.

A 1st level party vs a AD&D ogre or minotaur, for instance, is facing d10 or 2d4 damage on a hit. That won't kill a typical fighter, though it might knock him/her unconscious. But the other members of the party will, in the meantime, be dealing damage. And 4 hits will take down that ogre, or two vials of oil. (Probably 7 hits for the minotaur - it's noticeably tougher - though it's AC is one less than the ogre's.)

The 3E ogre, on the other hand, has half-as-many again hit points (and while the 1st level PCs are probably doing a bit more damage, I don't think its +50% except perhaps for the sneak-attacking rogue). And with +8 to hit and doing an average of 16 hp on a hit, it can easily be killing one PC per round.

For the 1st level 3E party, making sure the ogre doesn't get into melee is the main concern - which is quite different from the AD&D situation, where melee with the ogre is quite tolerable provided there's only one of it, and so luring it out or otherwise isolating it from its fellows becomes the issue.

Jraynack

Explorer
High-level encounter guidelines are completely borked, and probably always will be. Recently, I threw four CR 10 monsters at a group of three level 12 characters. They didn't even break a sweat. According to the DMG, this encounter was 3-4x harder than Deadly. No one was knocked unconscious. No one was even badly hurt. The thought of throwing ONE CR 12 monster at a high-level group and expecting a challenge is laughable.

I've run a 5E campaign that took characters to 23rd level (Epic Boons). I'm on my second 20th level campaign now. While I was able to challenge higher level characters with combinations of monsters and terrain (including traps), I did realize something during the first campaign that I've altered for my second: fewer magic weapons and magical armor as treasure within the group. Magical armor is more potent in this edition and with more than two-thirds of the party with magic weapons - certain monsters proved much less difficult. I would say in a party of 4 to 5, one +x magic weapon and one +x magic armor. In a group of 6 or more, maybe two +x weapons and one +x armor. Also, larger groups can handle greater threats because their overall damage output per round.

Zaran

Adventurer
I've run a 5E campaign that took characters to 23rd level (Epic Boons). I'm on my second 20th level campaign now. While I was able to challenge higher level characters with combinations of monsters and terrain (including traps), I did realize something during the first campaign that I've altered for my second: fewer magic weapons and magical armor as treasure within the group. Magical armor is more potent in this edition and with more than two-thirds of the party with magic weapons - certain monsters proved much less difficult. I would say in a party of 4 to 5, one +x magic weapon and one +x magic armor. In a group of 6 or more, maybe two +x weapons and one +x armor. Also, larger groups can handle greater threats because their overall damage output per round.

Half the fun of D&D, are the magic items in my group. There needs to be a good way to have them in a campaign without making encounters trivial.

CapnZapp

Legend
Half the fun of D&D, are the magic items in my group. There needs to be a good way to have them in a campaign without making encounters trivial.
Amen to that!

I buy the argument "no longer is the game counting on the bonus race". But that's it.

I don't accept the notion that as soon as you open up the magic item chapter of the DMG you're on your own, and that you should accept that the game actively breaks down around you unless you fix it yourself.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
My party is 5 L6 PC and a L5 PC. So I'm running something that is balanced around 4-5 members, and just adding one more PC does really change things. The low AC design means hits are easy, so more attacks really have an effect and just giving the foe max HP doesn't have much effect. And crits can be insane and really turn a combat into a crap shoot. The rogue did 100 points of damage in two attacks last night due to crits back to back. So for most encounters as I'm going through this I end up having to add to the number of foes or jack up HP and for some encounters that throws things off. In the side adventure they are moving towards an encounter with a CR9 dragon. I'm guessing they are going to wipe the floor with it, but making it two dragons doesn't make much sense for the module. But ultimately it will probably be decided by the number of crits the players do.

One thing that is bad is crits should not double all the dice, just the weapon dice. Or better just max weapon damage.

Anyway I'll check these rules out in depth. May be great for my game.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!

Yeah. While I'm fine with the amount of magic a PC has compared to older editions, which got silly in that regard IMO, it shouldn't blow encounter design apart by adding some +1 swords.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Can you tell me where this assumption is stated?
I don't think it was stated, and I don't think it was 3-5 initially. I seem to remember something about the early design expecting upwards of 8 encounters (kinda like 5e), but out in the wild, tables gravitated towards fewer, more challenging encounters, and monsters were beefed up and expected encounters pulled in to match.

Of course, with classes designed as they were, it didn't matter if you ran 8+ or 6-8 or 3-5 or 1 encounter per day. Day length impacted encounter balance, not class balance. You could shift guidelines if you wanted fewer (or more) encounters, and not worry about intraparty balance becoming problematic.

In 5e, the clearer guidance (as promised) about encounters/day (and short rests between long rests) allows class designs to be more mechanically distinctive, with diverse resource schedules, while allowing the DM to retain class balance if that's a priority.

For instance, here is a run-down of an "adventuring day" from my 4e game, when the PCs were mid-paragon:
Youch. Longest 'day' I ever had was 9 encounters, though that was at low level and pretty brutal.

and the significant cap on hit point recovery tends to be the availability of healing powers rather than of healing surges.
IDK, in that 9-encounter day a number of PCs were completely tapped out of surges, one of them for the last several encounters.

This means that an encounter can be very challenging and dramatic even if it does not consume many "daily" resources
Of course. Thing is, if you make an encounter challenging enough, dailies will come out - and faster & more of 'em, the more the party has available.

I can't comment on 3E, with which I have only limited experience.
One 3e campaign I was in tended very heavily towards 3-encounter days. Just a DM style thing, I think. ;) But it wasn't enough to strain resources, so they tended to be pretty spectacular displays.

There is no rule that caps encounters at 4 or fewer levels above the party's level. And I suspect that I'm not the only GM who has found that, at epic tier, level +6 to level +8 makes for a suitably climactic combat encounter.
I blame Expertise feats.

pemerton

Legend
I don't think it was stated

<snip>

Of course, with classes designed as they were, it didn't matter if you ran 8+ or 6-8 or 3-5 or 1 encounter per day. Day length impacted encounter balance, not class balance.
Right. These are points I've made upthread.

4e largely (not completely) decouples encounter balance from the pacing/balancing of the "adventuring day". This is part of what makes its encounter building guidelines useful.

It is also yet another respect in which it is closer to classic D&D than some of the post-AD&D versions. Because, as I expained upthread, AD&D also decouples, to a significant extent, encounter balance from pacing.

In 4e, the decouping takes this form: at any given time you can look at the state of the PCs (surges left, dailies left, etc) and if the answer is "not completely depleted" then you can throw another encounter at them and it might be tough, and even perhaps frustrating, but it probably won't result in a TPK. 4e is very forgiving and flexible in this way. But you do have to have regard to the encounter building guidelines in doing this - if the party is down to one surge each and you throw a level +4 at them then you probably are setting things up for a TPK.

In AD&D, the decoupling takes the form I described already: the same dungeon set-up might be workable for both a 3rd level and a 6th level party. But the pacing required to make it work will be different: the 6th level PCs might be able to take on 10 bugbears all at once, but the 3rd level PCs might need to find a way to split it up into a sequence of smaller, hence less threatening, confrontations. Because the scaling of everything but monster hit points is so mild in AD&D, you don't really need encounter building guidelines to make this work. Rather, you need to have rules or table conventions that allow the players, via their PCs, to exercise the appropriate control over pacing. (What is sometimes, in my view misleadlingly, called "combat as war".)

I think it's telling that in the 2nd ed era, as AD&D moved from an approach where the players control pacing to an approach where the GM is assumed to control pacing, it likewise moved to a much greater encouragement of GM fudging as the tool for handling encounter balancing. (Eg rather than allow the story to be "trivialised" by letting the PCs beat the bugbears one-by-one, we have a dramatic confrontatin between the PCs and a wave of bugbears, but the GM manipulates the dice rolls so that the PCs win.)

In both 3E and 5e, there is a need for encounter-building guidelines (because of the scaling) and a need for the GM to control pacing (because of the daily resource paradigm), which create all sorts of pressures on the GM's role that I personally am glad not to have to deal with.

Youch. Longest 'day' I ever had was 9 encounters, though that was at low level and pretty brutal.

<snip>

that 9-encounter day a number of PCs were completely tapped out of surges, one of them for the last several encounters.

<snip>

if you make an encounter challenging enough, dailies will come out - and faster & more of 'em, the more the party has available.
PCs will run out of surges, but at paragon and even moreso at epic there are workarounds for this. (At heroic it's more serious; I remember running a 7th level encounter for mostly surgeless 10th level PCs and it was a non-trivial challenge, with the sorcerer having to hold the front line because the fighter was too weak to do so.)

As for dailies, I find my players tend to ration them, because they can get a lot of depth just out of their encounters and they aren't sure what will be up next. That's not to say they don't use them when need demands it - or, if the daily is somewhat boutique, when the circumstances for its optimal use arise - but they aren't what they start with.

In a daily resource paradigm I don't really like the effect of this, because it tends to mean a hording of fun abilities rather than use of them. (In case it's not clear: by "hording" I mean a sort of limit-case of "rationing".) But in 4e, because of encounter powers being the bread-and-butter, I find it works better. The hording isn't total, because the players know that even if they're out of dailies they're not completley resourceless.

Jraynack

Explorer

Oh, I agree. I just limit the +x magic weapons and +x magic armor. There are plenty of clever and insteresting magic items in the DMG that can prove useful for a group. In my game, it is my job to make them interesting and mysterious.

A rusty sword that becomes a +1 blade when in the effect radius of a purify food and water spell. Its transformation lasts for 1 hour.

A pommel of a broken sword of which the blade appears when wet. It doesn't have a bonus, but clever players, such as a rogue, might find it interesting.

A staff of swarming insects that causes the bearer to regurgitate his food like a fly each time he eats.

A player whose character is an awakened panther (monk; I know it sounds weird, but I endulged) recently found out that he is really an unique figurine of wondrous power.

Even a magic weapon (without a +x bonus), once owned by a brave knight, which grants an advantage against being frightened is an interesting find that might intrigue players.

Buffs are great, but shouldn't be the mainstay or a requirement. For instance, I have two 2-weapon fighters in my group and they recently found an animated shield - it has no magic buffs, but still extremely useful for either character.

Remove ads

Remove ads