Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Sorcerers: Favored Souls, Phoenix Sorcery, Sea Sorcery, & Stone Sorcery

Favored Soul (again), Phoenix Sorcery, Sea Sorcery, Earth Sorcery. Could this be the start of Elementalists?

Favored Soul (again), Phoenix Sorcery, Sea Sorcery, Earth Sorcery.

Could this be the start of Elementalists?

gyor

Legend
Personally, I find Distant Spell to be extremely useful. My favorite distant spell is Gaseous Form. Now with Favored Soul, you can add Cure Wounds, Greater Restoration, Inflict Wounds, Lesser Restoration, Power Word Heal, etc. Bestow Curse and the Ressurection series.

My new favorite is Silence and Subtle Whatever

Not to mention, the "robed priest" concept is completely possible. You may not have a domain, but you have personality and metamagic. Good trade I'd say.

You can kind of construct your own domain reflecting your deity in part by picking choice spells from the Cleric and Sorceror spell lists. Instead of channel divinity, you get Favor of the Gods.

gyor

Legend
I was thinking about how sorcery points should be represented in game and I realized that they are simply a reservoir of raw magic in its purest form that the sorcerer channels through the unique shard of magic in his or her soul.

The raw magic is neither divine nor arcane, it's why it can be used to cast either arcane or divine or other types of magic, and why it can devour spell slots that are arcane, divine or even innate like a Tieflings Darkness spell to refill its reservoir.

So a multiplies Favoured Soul/Paladin/Warlock can devour all its slots and once per short rest warlock spells slots to refilled it's sorcery point and why it can use those points to cast or enhance Favoured Soul or Paladin or warlock spells, it's converts that raw magical power into a form that makes the spells more powerful or just power any spell they know.

The Shard of Magic is coloured by the Sorcerers origin, it's both where the reservoir of raw magic dwells, what normally refills it, and gives the sorcerer the ways he or she has for using it, but if the sorcerer has other class levels he can use that raw magic in ways that the magic shard in their soul doesn't offer.

Just my theory that the new version of Favoured Soul like made me realize.

Remathilis

Legend
Dear WotC

Trash what you have for the Phoenix bloodline

Copy the Pyromancer from Kaladeth Planeshift

Add a few phoenix-themed ribbons

Rename it Phoenix Bloodline

Print in Big-book-o-crunch later this year.

There. Easily done.

gyor

Legend
Dear WotC

Trash what you have for the Phoenix bloodline

Copy the Pyromancer from Kaladeth Planeshift

Add a few phoenix-themed ribbons

Rename it Phoenix Bloodline

Print in Big-book-o-crunch later this year.

There. Easily done.

No. I looked up the Pyromancer and even with some ribbon abilities to make it the Phoenix Sorceror is to drain all the favour from it and take away away what makes it distinct from out fire magic subclasses.

The Phoenix isn't just fire sorceror, it's a phoenix sorceror, it's a blend of fire, self destruction, and rebirth.

All the Phoenix sorceror needs is to use it's mantle more often, perhaps per short rest or as many uses as Charisma mod or something. Otherwise its great. Self Healing from casting fire magic instead of fire resistance + dealing extra fire damage makes it different and interesting compared to other fire casters.

And Spark is what makes the character a Phoenix Sorceror, being able to come back to life in a burst of fire is what makes the Character feel like a Phoenix instead a Sorceror with fire magic.

Sticking ribbon abilities on a pyromancer won"t make up for it's lost.

Eubani

Legend
No. I looked up the Pyromancer and even with some ribbon abilities to make it the Phoenix Sorceror is to drain all the favour from it and take away away what makes it distinct from out fire magic subclasses.

The Phoenix isn't just fire sorceror, it's a phoenix sorceror, it's a blend of fire, self destruction, and rebirth.

All the Phoenix sorceror needs is to use it's mantle more often, perhaps per short rest or as many uses as Charisma mod or something. Otherwise its great. Self Healing from casting fire magic instead of fire resistance + dealing extra fire damage makes it different and interesting compared to other fire casters.

And Spark is what makes the character a Phoenix Sorceror, being able to come back to life in a burst of fire is what makes the Character feel like a Phoenix instead a Sorceror with fire magic.

Sticking ribbon abilities on a pyromancer won"t make up for it's lost.
I think the the level where it gains Spark needs more. I am thinking about turning HD or HP into sorcery points to spend on metamagics for fire spells that turn.

Mystic Yeti

First Post
I'm pleased to see the Favored Soul return with some polishing. I'm an arcane caster at heart and the potential to fill the role of a cleric as a sorcerer greatly appeals to me. It makes me want to see the wizard's Theurge enter the playtest as well.

I highly approved of adding cleric spells to the Favored Soul in place of the previous bonus domain spells. Picking spells was more challenging but it made my choices especially meaningful and didn't I have to comb through domains looking for the right one.

Blessed Countenance was a nice touch, especially with built-in variation.

The thing that lost me was that after Divine Magic and Blessed Countenance, every single blessing the gods gave me was about surviving and not about succeeding the task at hand. In the playtest, it didn't communicate that they wanted me to emerge victorious. I would have sooner seen utilities to this effect, maybe akin to Divine Intervention, or even another ribbon.

To be fair, divine protection from disease tells a wonderful story. You can fearlessly bring healing to plague infested lands (and there's a precedent for divine immunity to disease) but I'd honestly rather get poisoned. The treachery of poisoning a Favored Soul is memorable. Also, however it was intended, poison immunity looks like a feature grab from angels' stat blocks, despite that the lore doesn't talk about angelic heritage where you might have picked this facet up.

A sorcerer's power traditionally pours through him/her and spills outward. I felt that the Favored Soul could give a better sense of divine power flowing forth. I'm sure if the gods put their minds to it they can come up with something.

gyor

Legend
I agree features after level 6 could use improvement.

Still as is it's still a solid and fun class.

Still it's seems clear from the fluff that the Favoured Soul uses divine magic instead of arcane, unlike most other sorcerors (although I can see Shadow Sorcerors using Shadow Magic instead of or as well as arcane, but in that case the fluff doesn't straight up say it).

The Wizard Theuge on the other hand has fluff that makes it clear that dispute the focus of the class, it's, arcane magic.

Remove ads

Remove ads