Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Subclasses Part III: Artificer, Druid, and Ranger

The third in the recent spate of D&D subclasses from WotC! "Continuing our series of new D&D subclasses in 2020, Unearthed Arcana presents three more for you to playtest: the Armorer for the artificer, the Circle of the Stars for the druid, and the Fey Wanderer for the ranger. Today’s article also includes some new infusions for the artificer."...

The third in the recent spate of D&D subclasses from WotC! "Continuing our series of new D&D subclasses in 2020, Unearthed Arcana presents three more for you to playtest: the Armorer for the artificer, the Circle of the Stars for the druid, and the Fey Wanderer for the ranger. Today’s article also includes some new infusions for the artificer."

UnearthedArcana_header.jpg

Instead of changing it to force damage what if the stealth armor could choose the damage type when they make the armor? could be limited to the basic elements at first and then they could extend into the more exotic types later on.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Instead of changing it to force damage what if the stealth armor could choose the damage type when they make the armor? could be limited to the basic elements at first and then they could extend into the more exotic types later on.

That could be interesting, gives them some range and options

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
But they can still use that weapon. An artillerist creates their little hand cannon and no one else can use it. The armourer creates a suit of powered armour and no one else can use it. Both of these things should be items to be found in my opinion, you and others clearly think differently, enjoy the artificer, for me though, I'd prefer to open these things up to everyone with other classes via skills, tools, and maybe feats.
To each their own, for sure.
The Artificer subclass needs a once over to excise nonsense like "Tinkering with your armor's energy system". :rolleyes:
Nope. It’s good and should stay.

Kurotowa

Legend
A thought I had last night. The design of Artificer subclasses has really focused on having your Bonus Action filled every turn, and your damage output really depends on it. However that doesn't seem to be the case with the Armorer; in Guardian mode you only need to use Defensive Field when you've been hit, and Infiltrator doesn't have anything at all. But then it hit me that all Artificers have an option for unlocking a Bonus Action attack with the Homunculus Servant infusion. In fact, that's probably the expected play mode they balanced the damage output around.

So for anyone playtesting one or just running the numbers, don't forget about the Homunculus. It's not just for Alchemists!

Weiley31

Legend
Also Thunder Fists/Lighting Launcher need to count as Magical. Otherwise you are Iron Man: jack useless edition against resistant/immune to Non-Magical damage.

Remove ads

Remove ads