Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Takes on Modern Magic

This month's edition of Unearthed Arcana from WotC's Dan Helmick takes on the topic of Modern Magic! Following on from an earlier column about d20 Modern items using 5E rules, this article "presents new rules for expanding the repertoire of spellcasting characters in a modern setting."

This month's edition of Unearthed Arcana from WotC's Dan Helmick takes on the topic of Modern Magic! Following on from an earlier column about d20 Modern items using 5E rules, this article "presents new rules for expanding the repertoire of spellcasting characters in a modern setting."

"A few months ago, Daniel Helmick described his adaptation for d20 Modern in a Behind the Screens article. He expanded on the rules for using firearms and explosives in the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Now, what if we extended the D&D rules to cover a campaign not only touched by, but actually set in a modern era? The newest iteration of D&D features various archetypes, traditions, domains, and other options for the base classes, all of which present opportunities for customization. With that in mind, this article presents new rules for expanding the repertoire of spellcasting characters in a modern setting."

Find it here!

DX_UA_0803_1.png

SaveSave

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I quite like this, my only issue is that all of the hacking spells completely invalidate any kind of mundane computer security or mundane hacking skills. Knock was specifically altered in this edition to make it the equivalent of smashing the door down, and strictly inferior to picking the lock. IMO, the hacking spells either need to interact with some hacking rules OR have significant drawbacks in a similar manner.

Dan Helmick

Villager
I quite like this, my only issue is that all of the hacking spells completely invalidate any kind of mundane computer security or mundane hacking skills. Knock was specifically altered in this edition to make it the equivalent of smashing the door down, and strictly inferior to picking the lock. IMO, the hacking spells either need to interact with some hacking rules OR have significant drawbacks in a similar manner.

Rewrite it to your heart's content and make it work for your own campaign. I won't be offended, but if you want me to rewrite it for you, that will cost. Email me for my rates. :)

Arcanepunk technology is interesting, but we need a lot of playtesting for the knights vs pirates, armours vs firearms balance of power.

And today we are in the post-ciberpunk age. Now players want the gadgets like the jumping exo-suits from Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, or biopunk/waterware grafts and symbionts.

What if motors could be used for war wagons againts chilvary? Or the D&D version of the graphene material.

Spellcasters could create new tricks againts gunpowders like stons with magic runes to summon water o fire elementals, or smoking fog to cover sight, or control animals to be cannon folder. (the winner can eat the hunted ones).

Last edited by a moderator:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Rewrite it to your heart's content and make it work for your own campaign. I won't be offended, but if you want me to rewrite it for you, that will cost. Email me for my rates. :)

I would have hoped that WOTC would pay you if they were intending to publish it with feedback taken into account.

Remove ads

Remove ads