Unearthed Arcana: un-sell me

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Wulf Ratbane said:
(I sold my copy to Piratecat, who I understand is very happy with it.)

Happy as a clam. It is tremendously useful for me.

But -- err -- BiggusGeekus, you'll hate it. Really. I'm sure of it.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Edheldur said:
New poster, long time lurker. When I first read this thread I immediately thought of something I saw a few days back over at RPGnow (HERE )
Interesting... I do see a few problems with it, however. First, it has d20 in the name (indicated as Product Identity in the latest SRD update and generally a frowned-upon no-no to begin with). Second, it seems to indicate a lot of "we have... we have...", yet there's very little I've noticed that's original. It would be interesting to know why it's been pulled, and if that pull was permanent or temporary (i.e., "Cease and Desist" vs "Fix it before you must Cease and Desist").

Interesting to note that it is now not validated for sale. It reminded me of another thread here about posting the OGL parts of Unearthed Arcana.
Which, so long as it's only the OGC parts, is perfectly legal. Chine Games crossed a line somewhere... Without having the product in-hand or an official notice from them or Wizards (and Wizards' policy is not to publicly announce individual issues, so I'm not expecting one from them), it's hard to say what the screw up was.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
BiggusGeekus said:
So. Unearthed Arcana. Tell me why it's a terrible purchase so I can at least hold off until May.

Man I wish I could help but to be hones this book is simply amazing... I would be selling my blood if I were you... :heh:

OOH! It's only 15 days till May! :)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
It's got a bazillion variants, with no rules to inter-connect them. If you want one variant -- you're set. If you want to use multiple variants at the same time, you've got a long slog ahead of you.

Also, once your more munchkiny players see the rules for "gestalt" characters, you may have to thwack them over the head with the book to keep them playing your sane game.

So, save your players some headaches -- don't buy the book with which you will only end up injuring them.

-- N

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Thanee said:
Just buy the damn book and stop whining! :D

Believe it or not, this almost pushed me to buy it!

However, I made it through.

I picked up A Magical Society: Ecology and Culture and Signs and Portents #9. MSEC looks cool and written in a more lighthearted tone than EXP's previous work. S&P is of much higher quality than I would have previously suspected (full color glossy pages). Seriously, how does Mongoose do that for US$6?

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
BiggusGeekus said:
(snip) I tend to look at my gaming books in terms of bucks-per-hour and not in terms of "how many prestige classes did I use". (snip)

That's my unit of measurement, too!

I compare a book purchase to what it would cost me to watch a movie which is, IIRC, AUD13 for about two hours here in Oz.

As for UA, it really isn't necessary. I bought it when it first came out, at the over-inflated price that it retails at here in Oz, and while thinking of stacks of good ideas I realised I probably wouldn't use anything in there for a while. I should have waited for my next trip to Singapore to pick it up for 20%-30% below Oz retail.

And you should too. ;)

fba827

Adventurer
Lots of the stuff in the book is best used with a new campaign (in my opinion anyway)... like if you want to change the magic system, that'll work best with a new campaign rather than trying to radically alter all the current characters. so, basically, if you aren't planning on starting a new campaign sometime soon, you really can wait on this.

(mind you, i've barely even skimmed this entire thread so i don't know what else has already been suggested/decided)

omedon

First Post
I wouldn't touch this one with a 10-foot pole. I walked by it in a store and it gave off bad voodoo.

Bad voodoo....

nuff said

Remove ads