• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unexpected but (mostly) awesome new rules in Basic

Mercule

Adventurer
The progress is the clear, unambiguous, and public statement by the company, "You don’t need to be confined to binary notions of sex and gender."

Will it stop all people from having issues at the table? Of course not. But the company taking an moment to actively make an explicit inclusion is new. In the past, inclusion was passive, by way of silence (and the existence of a single androgynous deity is still effectively - silence doesn't stop you, but it doesn't make a stand, either.

If you don't see that as progress... I'll go get a statement from a transgender player I know, and maybe you can learn a bit from it.

I have no.problem with the concept, but I did think the section was a bit long for what it was. It could have been handled in a couple sentences "While most players will tend to list either male or female, Dungeons and Dragons is a fantasy game that contains all possibilities found in the real world. The addition of fantasy races and magic moves well past binary labels."

What was in there wwent beyond clear and into preachy. But, just barely, so it's not a big deal, to me. I just wouldn't praise it. The people who want it in there likely don't need it to play what they want. Anyone disinclined to allow non-binary gender will be more annoyed than swayed.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I have no.problem with the concept, but I did think the section was a bit long for what it was. It could have been handled in a couple sentences "While most players will tend to list either male or female, Dungeons and Dragons is a fantasy game that contains all possibilities found in the real world. The addition of fantasy races and magic moves well past binary labels."

What was in there wwent beyond clear and into preachy. But, just barely, so it's not a big deal, to me. I just wouldn't praise it. The people who want it in there likely don't need it to play what they want. Anyone disinclined to allow non-binary gender will be more annoyed than swayed.

I disagree. Getting specific examples out there helps more and thus adds to the general statement. And people disinclined to allow non-binary gender will hopefully get a reeducation by the players that want it in there. It will lead to multiple teaching moments. That is how bigots learn to be less bigoted, which can happen.

As a rule, I think it's meaningless - I never had any problem with players who wanted to do creative things with gender feeling free to do so.

But this isn't a rule - it's a statement, a gesture of support and inclusiveness. And a popular statement, if this website is any indication.

Abstruse

Legend
The first time the paragraph was called to my attention was by a person who expressed relief it was there. I've also read other stories people have told about being excluded. They had been told they couldn't play a gay or trans character because "Those kinds don't exist in Forgotten Realms/Greyhawk/whatever. Show me in the rules where it says they are or one character in the books!"

Now they can point at that paragraph.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The first time the paragraph was called to my attention was by a person who expressed relief it was there. I've also read other stories people have told about being excluded. They had been told they couldn't play a gay or trans character because "Those kinds don't exist in Forgotten Realms/Greyhawk/whatever. Show me in the rules where it says they are or one character in the books!"

Thank you for saying this.

Mercule

Adventurer

Wow. I've never games with anyone like that. I've had a "no gender bending" rule for about 25 years, but that's because of eight lesbian drow dominatrices in a row, by a half dozen different players (I can only handle a misogynistic caricature so many times w/o killing someone). I'd probably recant, at this point, if it was actually an issue for a player.

I can't imagine having a GM who was that kind of... um... passive-aggressive... obtuse... special. I'd figure it'd either be enough of an issue that it'd be better not to associate at all, or not really an issue. Point taken.

Abstruse

Legend
Wow. I've never games with anyone like that. I've had a "no gender bending" rule for about 25 years, but that's because of eight lesbian drow dominatrices in a row, by a half dozen different players (I can only handle a misogynistic caricature so many times w/o killing someone). I'd probably recant, at this point, if it was actually an issue for a player.

I can't imagine having a GM who was that kind of... um... passive-aggressive... obtuse... special. I'd figure it'd either be enough of an issue that it'd be better not to associate at all, or not really an issue. Point taken.
Granted, those particular DMs will just find another excuse to be bigots, but it's there in black and white that D&D is inclusive as a rule.

Also, since it is an official rule in the core rulebook, that means it applies to all organized play as well. No discrimination against gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation at game store events or conventions.

evileeyore

Mrrrph
Granted, those particular DMs will just find another excuse to be bigots, but it's there in black and white that D&D is inclusive as a rule.
Yeah, won;t change much at there tables. Just sometimes where their table is.

Also, since it is an official rule in the core rulebook, that means it applies to all organized play as well. No discrimination against gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation at game store events or conventions.
So the losers will have to hide in their homes to run their games, I can see this making some game stores nicer places to play at.

Abstruse

Legend
So the losers will have to hide in their homes to run their games, I can see this making some game stores nicer places to play at.
Or game stores with bigoted owners will be removed from the Play Network. Or maybe these people will educate themselves somewhat and stop being such jerkwads. Either way, it's making a clear statement.

Remove ads