[Unorthodox Treasures] - 101 Magic Items for your 5e Games

TheLe

First Post
I have just uploaded [Unorthodox Treasures] - 101 Magic Items for your 5e Games to the downloads area.

This free pdf-book contains 101 magic items (and some artifacts) for your 5e games. If you notice any errors, please let me know and I'll fix it and upload a revision. This is a true "book" that comes with all the dressing you would expect - fun images, random treasure charts, etc. And best of all, it's free!

All constructive comments welcome!

UnorthodoxTreasures_Screenshot.jpg

Excerpt:
Spark Ring
Ring, uncommon
This ring is of the deepest black, but shimmers with many colors when you stare at it long enough, with faint crackling noises emanating from it. Once worn, your melee attacks causes sparks upon impact; your melee attacks deal an additional 1 point of lightning damage (this damage is not increased on a Critical Hit). If you are 10th level or higher, this lightning damage is doubled.

For each 1 point of lightning damage you deal this way, the ring stores a charge within itself. Whenever 10 charges are stored, you may expend them as an action to fire a bolt of lightning at any creature within 30 feet, dealing it 5 lightning damage (make a standard ranged attack roll); on a Critical hit, this damage is doubled.

The ring cannot hold more than 10 charges.

You can find the file here in the downloads section. Please use this thread for comments.

TheLe

First Post
In another thread, a DM asked about starting the players as prisoners, and "how to deal with spellcasters" this way. So I wrote the following a magic item for him. Rather than add it to the PDF in the original post (since I like to keep it 101), I'll just post it here as a reply. This would be magic item #102...

Anti-Mage Shackles
Wondrous Item, Very Rare (requires attunement)
These shackles are made of a dull metal, but smooth to the touch. They're used to tie together two hands, magically re-sizing itself to the creature's wrists for a one-size-fits-all approach. The shackles themselves are made of a special metal and imbued with powerful magic - anyone who is shackled this way is unable to cast any kind of spells.

The shackles do not have a keyhole as a mundane pair would. Instead, they can "open" and "close" at will based on a magical word - this word will only be known to the person that bonded with the shackles (i.e. that attuned it), but the word itself can be spoken by anyone.

The shackles can only be attuned if it is not closed on someone's wrists.

I've been reading through and got to the deck of cards. I have to say, some of them are interesting, but a lot of them seem more detrimental than helpful. Specifically, The Coldsnap and the Cool Fez. Awesome in principal, but the drawbacks completely counteract the usefulness of the items. The Coldsnap, to make it an actually rare item, instead of a glorified cursed item, grant the wearer immunity to cold damage and take away the vulnerability to fire. In fact, speaking logically, they could become resistant to fire damage as well, simply due to the sheer amount of cold energy being dispelled from the item. The Cool Fez was hilarious, awesome reference, but the vulnerability to fire isn't worth the resistance to cold. My Human Barbarian under the Bear Totem is already resistant to everything under the sun aside from psychic attacks. The effect just makes the item not worth using. You get plenty of kudos on making memorable, useful items, but some of them need work. More need their descriptions reworded for clarity.

One thing I need to bring up is that a lot of your items have strange restrictions. Like the Paladin's Ring. A paladin doesn't have to be lawful or even good anymore. You can have a Chaotic Evil Paladin. Why's he incapable of wearing the ring? The ring has no explanation or even flavor why it's so lethal to evil and chaotic characters. All it has is an effect that makes it a bit better against them. You should add in some flavor text to make the missing connection, just so that one guy that wants an evil paladin doesn't feel singled out.

TheLe

First Post
>>transcendantviewer

Thanks for all the comments! A couple responses here.

Most of these magic items were written last summer, before the PHB and DMG were out. I should probably go in and clean some stuff up, like the Paladin stuff as you mentioned. But as a "free book", I'm having a hard time getting motivated to go back and edit it!

As for issues like the Cool Fez - if it's not cursed then I assume you'd just remove it during combat if you felt it was detrimental (i.e. facing a fire monster).

Yes, a number of items have bonuses and penalties -- the idea was to give them to players and let them decide if the bonus outweighs the penalty. If they know there's a positive and negative, then it's really up to them. The DM job's is to give them tools -- let the players decide if it's worth using! I'm all about letting players make the hard decisions!

As for the "Deck of Cards" -- that was intentionally designed to give the DM a way to screw with their players (without killing them). It's my version of the Deck-of-Many-Things! (I'm quite proud of that one).

My favorite magic item in that book is probably the Whistler, for obvious reasons.

Anywho, I'll keep all your comments in mind if I decide to go back for edits or make a new book! Thank you very much for the feedback! (all constructive criticisms are welcome!)

TheLe

First Post
Happy Friday the 13th! I wrote this for a friend of mine..

Blood Sword
Legendary, requires attunement
This sword is mundane in most ways except for small encrusted jewels on its base. When attuned, it grants a +3 bonus attack and damage rolls.

DM'S CHECK
Whenever the sword is used as part of an attack, the DM makes a secret Wisdom check (DC 15). On a failed check, the sword begins the glow and then the inscription "JV" appears on the blade -- the sword will then become sentient and possess the wielder -- the player immediately begins to attack any living creature, friend or foe. The sentient sword will also grow in power, regenerating the wielder a number of hit points equal to 1d4 per turn. The sword can only be removed from the player if the player falls unconscious or dies. Once removed, the sword must be attuned again.

If the player is killed while possessed by the sword, a new encrusted jewel will magically appear on the base.

TheLe

First Post
Bullseye Ring
Rare, requires attunement
This bronze ring has no jewels on it what-so-ever, but along the inside there are small triangles etched within it. When worn, you can pull on the bowstrings of any bow, which will magically create a notched arrow.

When the arrow hits a target, that target becomes "Marked". On your next attack with an arrow generated by the ring, using the same bow, if you attack the "Marked" target you may imbue the arrow with one of the following:

• Accuracy: +3 bonus to your attack roll

• Criticality: This attack scores a Critical Hit if you roll an 18-20

• Stunning: If this attack hits it's target, the target's next attack is at a Disadvantage.

The target remains "marked" for 1 round or until you make your second attack, whichever is first. Your target is no longer "Marked" after you have completed your second attack, even if that attack misses.

I'm going to say no on this one, TheLe. That's too powerful, even for a Rare item in my book. A solid bonus to rolls is really strong, even if it only applies to attacks. If that was all it did, I'd say that's fine, but all of those things together are too much. It might be better if you gave it a number of charges per day or tied its abilities to only when you score a Critical Hit. Like for instance...
Death Hunter's Ring
Wondrous Item, Rare (Requires Attunement)
This bronze ring appears unassuming and underwhelming, but in its band lies a marking of a bow and arrow. While attuned to this ring, you can will it to produce a bow made of shimmering force with a drawstring of pure light. When this drawstring is pulled back, an arrow of light appears, knocked and ready to fire. This ring has 20 charges and regenerates 2d10 charges each day at dawn. The bow produced by this ring is the wearer's choice of a Longbow or Shortbow and attacks with this weapon deal Radiant Damage.

Or perhaps...
Bullseye Ring
Wonderous Item, Rare (Requires Attunement)
This unassuming bronze ring seems less than spectacular in every way and boasts no jems to speak of on its surface, however, within the band, a diamond lies, pressing softly against the skin when worn. This ring has 3 Charges and regains 1d4-1 (Minimum 1) charges each day at dawn. While attuned to this item, the wearer can expend a charge to will a Longbow or Shortbow they are wielding to produce an arrow of pure force. As an action on their turn, they can cast the Eldritch Blast cantrip as though they knew it, using Dexterity as their Spellcasting Ability Score. This attack can score a Critical Hit on a roll of 19-20. On a Critical Hit, rather than expending a charge from the ring, this attack instead consumes no charges at all.

Last edited:

Remove ads