Unpublished "Ecology" Articles by Johnathan Richards

Richards

Legend
Over the years, I've posted a bunch of my rejected "Ecology" articles each as standalone Story Hour threads, with the thought that these were after all "D&D stories" if not traditional write-ups of D&D game sessions. Some of them have become rather difficult to find, as many were originally posted quite a few years back. So I thought I'd start up this thread as a central repository.

For those not in the know, back in the print days of the magazine, Dragon's "Ecology" articles started out as short stories generally involving a group of D&D player characters encountering a specific monster and put game details about how to run the monster in a series of footnotes. Eventually, after many years of doing it that way a new magazine editor decided to scrap the "fiction and footnote" format and make the articles just straight DM information, doing away with the fiction part entirely. I had been the most frequent contributor to the series and in fact had six "Ecology" articles submitted that would have gotten published had the editorial reins not been passed to someone else with different views on the subject.

In any case, here are the ones I've posted thus far:

Monster Hunters
The Monster Hunters Association was a group of wizards and sages who gathered together to hunt various monsters for the specific purpose of making magic items out of their body parts.

Shandrilla and Javorik
A female human rogue, her male gnome illusionist companion, and his gnome fighter cousin spent more time exploring underground passageways than the rogue was entirely comfortable with.

Standalones (AD&D 2nd Edition)

Standalones (D&D 3.0)

I've been thinking of possibly adding to the list above, both by unearthing some of my older rejected works from the AD&D days and actually writing new ones, now that my D&D campaigns are on hiatus due to COVID-19 and I need some way to get my D&D fix. In fact, I had two specific "oddball" monsters I thought would make particularly appropriate additions to the Monster Hunters list....

Johnathan

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
This and the Demonicon were my two favorite Dragon series......LOVED your ecologies. You really should publish them and sell them.....And I certainly disagreed with the editor on that decision.

Richards

Legend
Actually, it wasn't Erik Mona who did away with the fiction in the "Ecology" articles, it was Jesse Decker when he took over the editorial reins from Dave Gross.

As for publishing them, that's not really an option, given that many of the monsters (to include good old Ozzie the osquip) aren't part of the SRD and thus are out of bounds. So I figure I'll just post them here where maybe somebody can get some good use out of them.

Johnathan

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Actually, it wasn't Erik Mona who did away with the fiction in the "Ecology" articles, it was Jesse Decker when he took over the editorial reins from Dave Gross.

As for publishing them, that's not really an option, given that many of the monsters (to include good old Ozzie the osquip) aren't part of the SRD and thus are out of bounds. So I figure I'll just post them here where maybe somebody can get some good use out of them.

Johnathan

Yup, I edited that comment after reading up on it......I'll use them! I may even convert them to PDF and add them to your posts. We'll see....

Nthal

Lizard folk in disguise
For those not in the know, back in the print days of the magazine, Dragon's "Ecology" articles started out as short stories generally involving a group of D&D player characters encountering a specific monster and put game details about how to run the monster in a series of footnotes.

So, wow. I have a lot of those physical magazine and I loved this series. I am eager to dig into these gems.

Richards

Legend
Edit: I just added a link to "The Ecology of the Giant Sea Horse," one of my first "Ecology" submissions back in the AD&D 2E days.

Johnathan

TheSword

Legend
Did you write Ecology of the Osquip? I remember it as one of my favourite Dragon articles! Funny, interesting and full of good ideas.

Richards

Legend
I did - that was the first of my Monster Hunters Association "Ecology" articles. Dave Gross, at the time the editor of Dragon, liked the MHA and allowed me to use them again for numerous "sequel" articles. While some of those dealt with somewhat serious monsters (like the dark naga, pseudodragon, and the purple worm), I usually pitted the Monster Hunters against some of the more "goofy" types, like the flumph, flail snail, and gorbel.

Johnathan

Richards

Legend
I just added a link to a new Monster Hunters Association "Ecology" article I posted as a Story Hour thread: "The Ecology of the Umpleby." This is the massive pile of walking hair that originally appeared in the AD&D 1st Edition Fiend Folio.

Johnathan

Remove ads