Unsatisfied with the D&D 5e skill system

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
What sort if agenda? Making more money?

Getting someone to do work typically.
My entire point is that giving someone more work to do is not in and of itself empowering.

In this case, the rules make more work. That does not empower the DM, because the DM always had the power to make a specific assessment, modify dcs or throw the rules away if they want to. You can only empower a DM with rules by giving them good tools.

So - more work is just a negative. More work + results that don't reflect desired goals = poor rules.

Incidentally, I can see EzekielRaiden just fine, so I'm not sure why he can't see me? My block list is totally empty.

Tony Vargas

Legend
In this case, the rules make more work. That does not empower the DM, because the DM always had the power to make a specific assessment, modify dcs or throw the rules away if they want to.
You make some strong points, there. Yes, Empowerment does mean more work, more skill/talent required.

But that just means the Role of DM is that much harder to fill, that much more valuable.

Necroposter

First Post
I think you need to start by describing the goals you're trying to achieve by changing the system. You say you're very dissatisfied, but you don't really describe what's dissatisfying. You also say you want something more comprehensive, but I'm not sure what you think is lacking. Then you mention 3.0 skill system but, to be honest, I find that system equally comprehensive and needlessly more complex (and 3.5 is worse with all the situational modifiers). You think there should be more skills? You don't like the proficiency system? You think a 10th level character should expect to automatically succeed on skill rolls?

My problem with skill systems in general is that there are only two broad types of systems. The first one has fairly generic all-encompassing skills that you get to pick a few of. That's not terribly realistic because characters can do things that don't seem related and some skills just become must-haves. However, the alternative systems that say, "Our Zombo.com system has unlimited skills! Anything can be a skill!" can be much worse. The problem with those systems is that you still only get a limited selection of skills, and because the number of skills is so diverse you stand a much better chance of not being able to even roll a die because the DM thinks that, for example, modifying the starship navicomputer requires Electronics instead of Computers, Astrogation, or Repair. It's a pigeonholing problem. Skills stop being about things you're good at and instead define everything you can't even try to do.

So, that's kind of what I mean. What kind of outcomes in game play do you want for a skill system? What do you intend for it to accomplish in the game itself? Define your problems, describe your desired outcomes. Be specific. "I want more skills," isn't an outcome but, "I want the players to have to make tougher choices," is. "I want bigger bonuses," isn't an outcome, but, "I want skills to represent a broader range of expertise than 'skilled' and 'not skilled'," is.

Really, really REALLY sorry for necroposting. But I felt the imperative need to reply to this.

As they say, the Devil is in the details. In your example, you want to modify the Navicomputer. How do you want to modify it? That's the question. You want to modify the wiring that goes to the ship's main generator, maybe add some regulator and switches to divert the flux of power to other systems? That's Electronics. You want to modify the operating system of the console? That's computers. You don't want to modify, but chart a route for the ship across hyperspace? That's Astrogation. I'll agree with you that Repair is kinda vague, so the DM should specify when Repair goes.

I'll will, furthermore, add a real life example. I am a graphic designer, and so if I would have a skill ala D&D, that would be Graphic Design, not jus Design. Why not? Because I'm not an Interior Designer, not a Software Designer, not a Industrial Designer, not a Fashion Designer, I am a Graphic Designer, and thus my knowledge applies to that branch of design.

That's what I wanted to say. I'll be going now.

Remove ads