Unsatisfied with the D&D 5e skill system

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
My break point might be higher than some, but yeah, that's the idea. I like to try and keep the mechanics to a minimum when possible. Mostly, if a character is attempting a DC 10 task with a total mod of +5 I won't bother asking them to roll unless. That unless can either be a time crunch or some sort of heightened situational shizz, like trying to pick a lock while looking casual or with improvised picks. Or mid combat or a comparable situation where the action economy is taxed. There's only so much time in a session and I'd prefer to spend it on dramatic and heroic type stuff rather than Rolemaster style "oops you cut your own throat while shaving" nonsense.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
What sort if agenda? Making more money?

I believe Saeviomagy is saying that someone can be empowered purely through the genetic lottery, or can work fantastically hard and be totally powerless (e.g. slave labor). I think they are perhaps belaboring the point a bit much, as it's not the case that work is totally unrelated to empowerment, or there would be no such thing as struggling toward change (e.g. there was an enormous amount of work that went into the Montgomery bus boycott, chosen as an example simply because I was reading about the history of it yesterday). But it's also definitely worth remembering that "just working hard" is quite far from a guarantee of success or benefit.

Of course, I could be mistaken, because for some reason I can't see any of Saeviomagy's posts. And I've already confirmed they aren't on my block list (no one is).

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I believe Saeviomagy is saying that someone can be empowered purely through the genetic lottery, or can work fantastically hard and be totally powerless (e.g. slave labor). I think they are perhaps belaboring the point a bit much, as it's not the case that work is totally unrelated to empowerment, or there would be no such thing as struggling toward change (e.g. there was an enormous amount of work that went into the Montgomery bus boycott, chosen as an example simply because I was reading about the history of it yesterday). But it's also definitely worth remembering that "just working hard" is quite far from a guarantee of success or benefit.

Of course, I could be mistaken, because for some reason I can't see any of Saeviomagy's posts. And I've already confirmed they aren't on my block list (no one is).
They've blocked you.

MrDM69

Banned
Banned
I haven't used 3e myself (I have looked at some of the 3e skills though), but I like the skills in 5e. The 3e skills sound more like actions and less like skills, and some of those skills have been replaced with tools in 5e (for example, open lock has been replaced with thieves' tools). It was simplified in 5e. But if you normally play 3e, you should use those skills.

Remove ads