• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

unusual character concepts?

saethone

First Post
reading a post on the wotc forums sparked my intrest on this idea, basically it was talking about adding new light to the barbarian class, since everybody seems to play half-orc barbs raised on the fringe of society etc

they pointed out that just because his class is "barbarian" doesn't mean he is a barbarian.

he gave an example of an elf preist of the god of battle...and yep, hes not a cleric, hes a barbarian, and rage is a battle trance gifted to him by his god or something..it was a while ago that i read it but you get the idea

what other unuiqe concepts do you people have juggling around in your mind?

Percivellian

First Post
I told one of our players (who ALWAYS plays non-verbal, anti-social druid types) that he should play an extrovert, ADD, PTA mom for our next d20 modern game.

I don't think he took to it.

Most unusual character I've ever DMed for: half-siabre fighter/bondblade. Marched about my homebrew equivalent of Medieval Europe with a flaming katana and flaming washazaki, and weapon finesse up the wazoo! (This was back in 3.0) Needless to say, many an armored knight found it quite bad to mock the copper skinned woman with light armor and decorative wings...

Most unusual character I've ever played: Well, I had a Fighter/Devoted Defender/Psychic Warrior once. Started as a fighter with a penchant for diplomacy, became a devoted defender of a fellow party member he felt close to (and who had her own penchant for getting into the midst of combat and being felled by assaults), and later a psychic warrior because... um... the DM really wanted to run some psychic stuff, and asked really nicely if I'd have him take a level (turned into 6). :)

Crothian said:
Does my Ooze Gensai with the ooze domain cleric that became an Oozemaster count?

Does he worship Iuz, and dual wield uzis he purchased in Uzbekistan?

Anyway, I do this stuff all the time.

I've got a madman that's just a barbarian with the serial numbers filed off - he isn't half-orc, or tribal, he's just completely bonkers.

I've got another barbarian that's just an empty shell. He doesn't have a spirit at all, because it was sucked out by a vampiric sorcerer-ghostie. Instead, his "rage" is him opening up the locked gate of his soul, and letting in a raging animal spectre.

I've got a bard that's similar, except she's the host of the living voice of the stars - she has no musical talent, just the ability to channel the ethereal conscious of existence.

Patrick Y.

Testament

First Post
Worship The Pavillion!

Right then, this one is just...inexplicable, but I'll do my best.

It all started when one player at my club discovered that he could buy 5 10ft poles, rope, pitons and a heap of canvas for less than a tent. So he purchased a mule to carry it all, and had himself a pavillion.

Then he created a new Living Greyhawk character to play "Mad God's Key" with. It was a Bard (already my alarm's going off), with Perform (oratory). His name was "Frederick the Arrogant". This player discovered a way to conserve Bardic music uses at low level, that was, don't stop performing.

Worst of all, he is thoroughly convinced that he is the prophet of a mighty god, that god being...The Pavillion. So when we play with him, we have to put up with him saying "blah blahblah blah blah Worship the Pavillion!" It has gotten stranger, and funnier as we go though. Frederick has gone crazier, and now gets around in a wagon pulled by a team of Gnomes, with a timpani drum and a lectern in the back, with a bullhorn fixed to the lectern. He's also declared himself the King of Perrenland, and wears the royal outfit. :uhoh: Perhaps his strangest moment was in the mod "Lerara", after helping kill the hierophant, he set up his Pavillion, in the middle of the temple, and attempted to convert the Lerara Suel to his faith.

It sounds bizzare, I know. Playing with him, depending on how serious you take the game, is either an exercise in frustration, or one of the most hysterical experiences you'll have at the table. I fit into the second category.

saethone

First Post
Testament said:
Right then, this one is just...inexplicable, but I'll do my best.

It all started when one player at my club discovered that he could buy 5 10ft poles, rope, pitons and a heap of canvas for less than a tent. So he purchased a mule to carry it all, and had himself a pavillion.

Then he created a new Living Greyhawk character to play "Mad God's Key" with. It was a Bard (already my alarm's going off), with Perform (oratory). His name was "Frederick the Arrogant". This player discovered a way to conserve Bardic music uses at low level, that was, don't stop performing.

Worst of all, he is thoroughly convinced that he is the prophet of a mighty god, that god being...The Pavillion. So when we play with him, we have to put up with him saying "blah blahblah blah blah Worship the Pavillion!" It has gotten stranger, and funnier as we go though. Frederick has gone crazier, and now gets around in a wagon pulled by a team of Gnomes, with a timpani drum and a lectern in the back, with a bullhorn fixed to the lectern. He's also declared himself the King of Perrenland, and wears the royal outfit. :uhoh: Perhaps his strangest moment was in the mod "Lerara", after helping kill the hierophant, he set up his Pavillion, in the middle of the temple, and attempted to convert the Lerara Suel to his faith.

It sounds bizzare, I know. Playing with him, depending on how serious you take the game, is either an exercise in frustration, or one of the most hysterical experiences you'll have at the table. I fit into the second category.

hahahahah

sounds alot like me, i made my mage an armored chair once. with lots of help from 'engineers' and myself, and over a long period of time i took

1) a throne
2) multiple crossbows
3) fly spell
4) permanence
5) random melf's acid arrow/flaming arrow/fireball spells etc

it was great :D

edit: i played shadowbane (MMO) with one of my DM's, and his character in that game was a templar. templars are like paladins gone berserk

he worshipped a fake god (Umm, the Turtle God), and those who didn't at least aknowledge Umm's existence (or berated him) were "purged" through holy fire. He also beleived that he was the voice, and hand of Umm, and that anything he thought, came directly through Umm. If he didn't like somebody, Umm wanted him dead, and since he was the hand of Umm, he purged him :p

was great stuff

Remove ads