D&D 5E Upcoming Kickstarter for a Deep, Thick Magic Item Compendium

flannel

First Post
Hi all, I'm Flannel, I used to post up here back when I was creating magic items for 5e on my blog (manysideddice.com).

After years and ages of content, I've decided to take the plunge and we're going to produce our first ever published, hardbound product and get them into hands all over the world.

We have a style that sets us well apart from a lot of content producers (for better or worse, though we and our fans think "better") and have been putting together a great team to get this book done. Hundreds (literally) of items, all rich and storied and designed to be dropped into virtually any game. And none of them bland +1 swords or things that do stuff that cantrips already do. No "eight different items that are the same thing with different damage types". No "fan-boy overpowered wet dream items" that a DM can't responsibly drop into a game.

The first draft of our items are all the hundreds on the site we've made over the years. The new revised versions are playtested and vetted and they're fantastic. Right now the manuscript is basically done and we're starting on art (here's a sample here) and have a phenomenal cover artist on contract. The book is going to be a dense, beautiful 300 page beast of a tome. Nothing like it out there.

We have a sign-up form for people to get the sneak previews of the work we've already done, if you'd like to see more and stay notified of the upcoming launch. Our KS is planned to be no BS... no dozens of complex Stretch Goals that take forever to deliver, no "waiting on the content to be developed" (we're launching when we're done with the manuscript PDF and not a day sooner). We want books in hands and at tables.

Thanks for reading. Peace out, homie.

Lanliss

Explorer
Sounds awesome. If I had money, I would be totally willing to look into helping kickstart. As it is, I will quite likely add it to my short list of 5E wants, once it comes out.

flannel

First Post
For real... you message me when it's up and running. I'll get you a copy--no worries. And that's got nothing to do with the Kickstarter. I frequent /r/dndnext over on Reddit (I'm /u/jwords). I've always been a promoter of the idea that we have to take care of the community, have thought that for years. I'm happy to help out.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I guess I could go check out the Kickstarter - and I will - but I like to speak to people, so I'm gonna ask first: You got a retailer tier there? I think I could sell a few of that, but I'd need to make something on it myself!

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Dualazi

First Post
While I wish you the best in your endeavors, unless really significant revisions have been made then I'll probably pass on this one. I've just browsed probably ~8 of the items on your site and every one has ranged from 'useless' to 'actively detrimental'. They're certainly creative and I like the accompanying lore passages, but I can say with 100% certainty that if I were to drop the ones I read into my game, they would just be immediately pawned without exception. I'll keep an eye out for the kickstarter to see if more favorable offerings are present.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Looking forward to the book. I used to visit your website regularly since its inception but then the updates stopped. It's nice to see you guys active again.

FWIW, the magic items are great, but I also liked the other content, particularly the traps (Talajei Fenestella was my favorite).

Remove ads