• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Upcoming OGL-Related Announcement!

RedShirtNo5.1

Explorer
Some random thoughts
-This gives a six month window where only the adventure content is from WotC. Those adventures better be good.
-They probably want to avoid having folks release crunch that would just duplicate rule modules that they are going to put in the DMG.
-The first day of winter is December 21. My gut says announcement will be contemporaneous or after DMG is released.
-I really really hope that they stick to the schedule (and that the license has gotten its internal approvals already). I still remember the frustration and disappointment with the delays and eventual terms of the GSL.

Last edited:

mechascorpio

First Post
As GX.Sigma said, though, he only namedrops the OGL. The focus seems to be on what "D&D fans" create (and want to share?), and nothing is really hinted at with regards to 3PP.

It is pretty much an entire page that says nothing but wait and see in fall. As it doesn't specify a)fall/autumn in which hemisphere or b)a year you, it is pretty open ended ;)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
It is pretty much an entire page that says nothing but wait and see in fall. As it doesn't specify a)fall/autumn in which hemisphere or b)a year you, it is pretty open ended ;)

"After that announcement, we plan on launching our program in early 2015."

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Don;t let facts get in the way of a good story :D

:)

Mike basically says:
* We have a plan
* We've thought about the plan
* We will be announcing it in a few months
* It will go live in early 2015

Anything more would be announcing the plan!

The important bit here is we now have a timeline.

Cheers!

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Sounds like part of a staggered release.

PHB, then MM, then DMG, then SRD.

No?
That doesn't seem likely to me. If there was going to be an SRD (99% of the rules online), then Basic D&D (15% of the rules online) wouldn't be a thing.

My guess is that the "suits" are terrified of any kind of open license (the actual OGL being off the table entirely), and the creatives are trying to make it happen any way they can.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads