Upcoming WOIN structural changes

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
To be honest, there won't been much more changing at the core structural level. Tiny tweaks, perhaps, but that core is pretty much playtested and done. Most stuff now is additional content - more *things* (equipment, spell paths, exploits, etc.)

The character advancement has been one of the longest left elements to address. Here's the current plan:

1) Dice pool size limits follow an expanding scale like attributes and skills. As they were they grew too rapidly.

2) When taking a career grade, you can take a universal exploit or one of the career's exploits.

3) Micro-increases (just buying a stat, skill, or exploit) are being shifted to optional status. The default is to take a career grade.

4) There's a formula for working out a monster's grade based on its attributes. It's exploits are then based in it's grade.

Last edited:

Hi Morrus,

I'm part of a group that is play-testing the O.L.D. system in a low-magic fantasy (but human-centric) setting. We were wondering if there are plans to overhaul the Tradition system to bring it up to the consistency and balance that appears to exist in the N.O.W. and N.E.W. Careers?

Thanks,

Angusto

P.S. I'm really looking forward to when W.O.I.N. is officially released and was one of the backers! :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm part of a group that is play-testing the O.L.D. system in a low-magic fantasy (but human-centric) setting. We were wondering if there are plans to overhaul the Tradition system to bring it up to the consistency and balance that appears to exist in the N.O.W. and N.E.W. Careers?

Of course! The O.L.D. character creation playtest document is from last October, so it's 7 months old! Every playtest document - whichever of the three games it has on the front cover - is playtesting the same core system, so anything learned from one automatically applies to the others. The final version is quite different to that document!

Of course! The O.L.D. character creation playtest document is from last October, so it's 7 months old! Every playtest document - whichever of the three games it has on the front cover - is playtesting the same core system, so anything learned from one automatically applies to the others. The final version is quite different to that document!

Amazing! I can't wait to see it! :)

Wojorides

Explorer
Its been a while since my group played, but please be reminded that their biggest gripe character wise was that they were increasing stats, careers and still felt that their characters weren't improving since the dice pools remained the same. I realize that the career grades will now allow them to fully utilized their die pools but .. ..

In addition are going up in careers still going to require YEARS of downtime??? To me downtime has always been when there were breaks in the campaign due to real time events.

SInce I haven't seen what those rules are its hard to make a good judgement. But I wanted to re-express our concerns. Thanks

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Its been a while since my group played, but please be reminded that their biggest gripe character wise was that they were increasing stats, careers and still felt that their characters weren't improving since the dice pools remained the same. I realize that the career grades will now allow them to fully utilized their die pools but .. ..

In addition are going up in careers still going to require YEARS of downtime??? To me downtime has always been when there were breaks in the campaign due to real time events.

SInce I haven't seen what those rules are its hard to make a good judgement. But I wanted to re-express our concerns. Thanks

It's a year too late for fundamental core changes, but maybe I can speak to your perception of the system?

An extra dice in your dice pool is a BIG step up. It's not like D&D where you basically get +1 each level from 1-20; an extra d6 is worth a lot more. So the dice pool shouldn't be regarded as the sole measure of advancement - that's for the big increases every few grades. Smaller, incremental increases occur as skills broaden - your primary dice pool might take a while to advance, but you can get better at a few lower ones in the meantime.

The downtime thing is gone. It's still there as a sidebar whereby the GM can allow career advancement during downtime for free, but otherwise you spend XP and gain new career grades at any time as long as the situation permits it (i.e. you still can't take a career as a college professor if you're exploring a distant galaxy with a crew of six). So you either pay XP OR you pay the years - two alternate ways of buying a career.

Downtime isn't related to RL, incidentally. Downtime can take place in one minute of narration. The GM says "5 years later...." and you've had five years downtime. OK, that's a terrible example, but it's nothing to do with real life or game scheduling.

Hi Morrus,

I realize that we are some time away before official release of the documents so with that in mind, is there any chance that you will be updating the playtest documents again before release (for all three systems) to reflect the new changes towards character creation, leveling, careers/traditions, and gaining/spending XP?

Thanks,

Angusto

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hi Morrus,

I realize that we are some time away before official release of the documents so with that in mind, is there any chance that you will be updating the playtest documents again before release (for all three systems) to reflect the new changes towards character creation, leveling, careers/traditions, and gaining/spending XP?

Thanks,

Angusto

I'm very much focused on the final manuscripts and layout etc. right now. However, I am trying to keep the Rules Reference Document on the official website up to date. It's not complete yet, because it's a very time consuming process, and I'm trying not to take away from the actual work of getting the products done and in your hands.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hi Morrus,

OK, some good news. Here's the most up-to-date of version N.E.W. character creation I have. It's the manuscript version, not the pretty laid-out version, and it's pre-editing, so expect typos! You'll see there are some differences to previous versions.

Attachments

• new_character_creation.pdf
    13.9 MB · Views: 246

Wojorides

Explorer
Ok this sentence still does not make sentence to me. " Organic appearance. The android's appearance is uncannily like that of a human (or other
species) although not so alike that it would fool anyone." If it looks uncannily like A then it should fool people into thinking it is A. The voice, movement and mannerism's etc might give it away.

OK, some good news. Here's the most up-to-date of version N.E.W. character creation I have. It's the manuscript version, not the pretty laid-out version, and it's pre-editing, so expect typos! You'll see there are some differences to previous versions.

Remove ads