D&D General Update: it’s live! Acquisitions Incorporated: The Series 2, 10 episode AP celebrating 15 years of Acq Inc.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Part of what I liked about the old AI podcasts, was that Mike had never played DnD before in his life. These games got him interested in starting his own game he posted one on their website where the PCs were running around on small planetoids which he set up for his players using polystyrene balls with a grid drawn on them, the minis were attached via pins or something. It was quite cool how much he got into running the game.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I was a devoted A.I. listener/watcher when it was Holkins, Krahulik, Kurtz and Wheaton. When Wil stepped away (after apparently a falling out with Kurtz) and was replaced by Patrick Rothfuss, I still watched but didn't feel the exact same connection to it. But I still followed them up until through Acquisitions Incorporated: The Series. But that for me was the end of the road, as Chris Perkins stepped down as a DM at the end of that series. And he was a big part of why I enjoyed it.

Once they got past that... A.I. just became over-exposed for me. They were now doing A.I. shows at almost every single PAX, which was up to 5 conventions per year (West, East, South, Australia, and Unplugged) and it got to be too much and lost its novelty. Not to mention they also had to bring in all kinds of additional players from A.I. C-Team and Dice Camera Action and other random folks to just cover all the slots for all the games they had to perform, which broke some of their narrative through-line that I followed. And on top of that... honestly, I don't find Jeremy Crawford nearly as compelling as a DM than Perkins so that made my stepping away much easier (and I won't even bother talking about the games where the other members of the crew have had to DM because Crawford wasn't available.)

Basically A.I. at this point for me is like Critical Role... where there's just a feeling of "Been there, done that". I loved the original few years, the novelty of what I was watching... but now it's just another long-running thing that is showing its age. It's no one's fault... and for anyone new who arrives to experience it I don't doubt they have the same wonder about it as I did 15 years ago... but now 15 years later the shine is off and I just haven't been compelled to experience it anymore.

Remove ads