• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

UPDATE: New Drizzt vid & Sword Fighting blog

Galloglaich

First Post
Glad you liked the sword play. It took a good bit of sorting out to find a fast style with two long blades. Most conentional techniques would get the blades tangled up or would keep one blade offensive and the other defensive.

We wanted to do something fluid that would keep both blades offensive and defensive.

Yeah what did you base that on Filipino or some other South Asian MA?

I liked that it wasn't the usual hong kung fu you usually see. Would love to see some HEMA in any followup effort.

I thnk you should ditch the cartoonish style approach to the barbarian though, even if thats how it is in the book, try to do it a little more realistic, base him on a Celt or a Vendel era Norse warrior or a Scythian or really anything even quasi historical. Hana Barbarian doesn't work except as camp.

Keep up the good work though I think you are on to something.

G.

Last edited:

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Well done! I'd love to see these stories given a full feature treatment like this!

The love scenes were kind of corny, but the actress is very attractive so at least there's something nice to look at. :) I think Wulfgar would be more believable as a big strong barbarian if we were given some shots of him towering over regular height people. Without that sense of scale, you get the impression that he's kind of short and slender.

My favourite parts were the beautifully done Guenhwyvar and the reflection in Artemis' blade of Drizzt charging.
-blarg

Traycor

Explorer
Yeah what did you base that on Filipino or some other South Asian MA?

I liked that it wasn't the usual hong kung fu you usually see. Would love to see some HEMA in any followup effort.

The only traditional arts we based the fighting on was stick fighting and a bit of fencing. We were highly concerned that it not look like a martial arts fight. These guys are down and dirty. Strike to kill.

We tried to combine a swashbuckling 'fight the pirates and swing from the chandelier' style with the spinning and sweeping arcs from Star Wars. It seemed to best fit the way Drizzit and Artie are described to fight in the novels.

An upcoming blog post should go into more detail about the sword fighting.

Galloglaich

First Post
The only traditional arts we based the fighting on was stick fighting and a bit of fencing. We were highly concerned that it not look like a martial arts fight. These guys are down and dirty. Strike to kill.

That is the actual goal of real Martial Arts :) We just usually get to seee either McDojo or the silly Hollywood Hong Kung Fu stuff...

We tried to combine a swashbuckling 'fight the pirates and swing from the chandelier' style with the spinning and sweeping arcs from Star Wars. It seemed to best fit the way Drizzit and Artie are described to fight in the novels.

An upcoming blog post should go into more detail about the sword fighting.

I'd recommend taking a look at some South Asian MA techniques, Escrima, Kali, Arnis, Silat that sort of thing. It's one of the most effective two-weapon systems, very similar to what you are trying to do, I think you could use that to enhance it a bit. Filipino MA in particular are very popular it shouldn't be too hard to find someone around your area who could help.

This is just a drill but it can give you an idea of the potential

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP73wjppLb8&feature=related]YouTube - Double Sinawali[/ame]

For single weapon combat I'd recommend looking at some HEMA (European Renaissance) stuff,

These are some HEMA longsword techniques, as you can see extremely brutal and no-nonsense

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsGU5KI1qJA&feature=related]YouTube - Longsword Techniques[/ame]

This is HEMA another weapon called a Messer

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38sVdx7nzhQ&feature=related]YouTube - Langes Messer[/ame]

There are a lot of HEMA groups all over the world who would probably be willing to help you with your project.

G.

Remove ads