D&D Movie/TV Update on D&D TV Show -- Underdark, Small, 6-10 Episodes

Writer Derek Kolstad (John Wick) has shared an insight into the upcoming D&D TV show with...

Writer Derek Kolstad (John Wick) has shared an insight into the upcoming D&D TV show with Collider, which he says will be 6-10 serialized episodes with an Underdark element.

NEW-TO-DnD_What-is-DnD_Subsection_Hero_140718.jpg

His approach is a "tinier sliver" of the world, compared to epic stories like Lord of the Rings. He compares it to Star Wars and Jaws. He mentioned that he's like to go "deeper and deeper into the Underdark".

"In the first Star Wars, you heard about Jabba the Hutt and you don't see him until the third one because you earn at that point, and whatever the budget was for the third one compared to the first one, who cares, right? And I think in Dungeons and Dragons, who has this massive, dedicated community of acolytes, I don't want to suddenly throw everything on screen and say, 'Here's the buffet.' You'd much rather keep the story intimate. When you think of our favorite movies, I'd rather do the First Blood version. It's a guy in the woods being hunted. And it's very small, but you allude to the other things through conversation."

As yet the show is untitled. Kolstad talked a bit about legal meetings and available characters for use. It sounds like he wants to set it towards the end of any 'metaplot' that D&D might have -- "... don't want to go in the middle of the mythos. I want to come near the end where everything is canonical, it's biblical, it's happened. Or, it's about to happen. That way you can revisit certain sequences and storylines that everyone loved in the past through flashback, but where we go is new"

I wouldn't adapt either one;).

Do something original or adapt better novel.
The sad thing is, garbage as they are, they are the least bad official D&D novels.

What the original article doesn't make clear is when talking about "established lore" do they mean sourcebooks, novels or computer games, or some combination of those? The strongest official D&D stories are from computer games.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
The sad thing is, garbage as they are, they are the least bad official D&D novels.

What the original article doesn't make clear is when talking about "established lore" do they mean sourcebooks, novels or computer games, or some combination of those? The strongest official D&D stories are from computer games.

I can think of better ones. Sone are Drow though just not Drizzt.

hopeless

Adventurer
Depends on whose in charge of this.
You're dependent on what THEY think is good and to highlight the Underdark suggests they've noticed the only good part of that is that it will probably be either cg or entirely set on an indoor stage with little to no exterior shots.

Now the green screen has been replaced by the stagecraft technology. This allows filming as if they were outdoors or using virtual atrezzo by CGI. The show can work with a right mixture of epic action and some pieces of comedy, like Xena: the warrior princess. And the deepface technology also is replacing the classic protesic masks. Also we have to remember like an adult actress from the Doom Patrol is roleplaying a monkey-face little child, Doroty Spinner.

I don't advice action-live adaptations with characters too famous because the productions need time and actors "get old" relatively fast.

To avoid risks with the potential fandom's fury I suggest set in a new setting, or secondary story set in Forgotten Realms totally unlinked with the main metaplot. In the next phase allowing themself the risk of a no-so-famous setting, for example a one-shot movie set in Jackandor.

Now I wonder why there are no new about cartoons or CGI adaptations. Teorically the production should be easier and faster, and better to sell toys and other merchandicing products.

Coroc

Hero
The interview stated they where using existing lore going forwards. Drizzt's origin is in the past. If they use Drizzt it will be from where he is now, with any background details in flashbacks.

More likely they will feature a new protagonist, although there may be Marvel style cameos for established characters.

And if they had one, they might use it. But outside of the D&D echo chamber there are no popular well known stories.

There might not be a second season. Especially if they hold back on the good stuff. They need something fairly spectacular by the end of the first series.

So, Rey DoUrden then ?

:p

Coroc

Hero
Depends on whose in charge of this.
You're dependent on what THEY think is good and to highlight the Underdark suggests they've noticed the only good part of that is that it will probably be either cg or entirely set on an indoor stage with little to no exterior shots.

There is a six book series about some drow protagonist, written by different authors as a hommage to Salvatore. It is much more PG 18+ than the original Drizzt stuff.

The Drow, if portrayed right, are one of the most cruel and psychopathic D&D races of them all, and the Underdark is one of the most hostile surroundings - if done right.

It can be a real interesting place with really interesting antagonists if it is done right (Think a bit like game of thrones), but for commercial interests to sell this also to minors my guess is this will never be an option unfortunately.

Remove ads

Remove ads