[UPDATED] Dragon+: An Official D&D iOS App

Dragon Magazine on iOS apparently some folks are finding this in the iOS news stand app...I'm still investigating so in the meantime...I'm just going to put this here

Dragon Magazine on iOS

apparently some folks are finding this in the iOS news stand app...I'm still investigating so in the meantime...I'm just going to put this here

View attachment 68157

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
D&D really needs a "town crier," a kind of central location for the community to get news and little tid-bits to encourage interest.

ENworld is doing fine and you get impressions from other gamers. Does the app have a comment section? All ENworld need is to be mentioned in the D&D books.

halfling rogue

Explorer
This thread is weird. It's gone from "Awesome! So much content!" to "Well, it's a bit light on content" to "Where's the content?" to "This is just an advertisement!"

I don't have me an iPhone so I'll have to wait until it's Androidable...but are people reading the same thing? It seems there are a few folks with vastly different expectations and are responding accordingly. I've never read a Dragon Magazine of old, nor have I partaken of anything from 4e's equivalent, so after reading the thread here, I'm wondering what everyone thinks the purpose of Dragon magazine is/should be?

Riley

Legend
No complaints, it just isn't really more than advertising, which I agree they need. I would pay for content. This is what I expect for free.

It was worth every penny of the price.

I would really like to subscribe again to a Dungeon Magazine full of new and varied (non-Adventure Path) adventure material.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But here's the other thing: maybe this is fine. D&D really needs a "town crier," a kind of central location for the community to get news and little tid-bits to encourage interest. Maybe Dragon+ can be that. I personally am not thrilled about what I've seen so far - it does seem like more of an advertisement and doesn't have the "warm and fuzzy" feeling that the print mag had, but it is something.

It has one. One which has outlasted three editions and several management regimes at WotC. :)

Iosue

Legend
I haven't ever done it, but Mistwell mentioned up-thread that it's possible to install Android apps on a PC. So, once they get the Android version out there, that should solve that one.

On the official D&D Twitter, they mentioned eventually providing it for PCs and consoles, too.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Every time I hear that someone uses a windows phone, I wonder why they would do that...

Personally, I just really, really, like the design of the core OS. The major apps that I use are available, so the app gap is rarely a problem.

As a web developer, I'm more interested in web applications anyway.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
On the official D&D Twitter, they mentioned eventually providing it for PCs and consoles, too.

The impression I got from that statement wasn't that Dragon+ would make it to PC and consoles, but that the content of Dragon+ would cover the PC and console games under the D&D brand.

halfling rogue

Explorer
The impression I got from that statement wasn't that Dragon+ would make it to PC and consoles, but that the content of Dragon+ would cover the PC and console games under the D&D brand.

I saw something to that effect too, about the content rather than the magazine specifically, but someone asked specifically about the magazine coming to desktop and Trevor Kidd said "it's something we're looking into, and it definitely could happen, but I don't have any details"

So it sounds like for the time being they are only going the mobile route. Desktop seems to be something they either haven't talked about or haven't been able to develop yet.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
For those asking about 'crunch', there are no feats, spells, or other items in the first issue. The article on goliaths is a lightly edited version of the material on goliaths in the Elemental Evil Player's Companion:

From Dragon+:
"These reclusive beings dwell at the highest mountain peaks, wandering a bleak realm of rock, where the air is thin and the frigid winds howl. Few folk can claim to have seen a goliath, and fewer still can claim friendship with them."

From EEPG:
"At the highest mountain peaks -- far above the slopes where trees grow and where the air is thin and the frigid winds howl -- dwell the reclusive goliaths. Few folk can claim to have seen a goliath, and fewer still can claim friendship with them. Goliaths wander a bleak realm of rock, wind, and cold."

This first issue seems more like a proof-of-concept than an actual, thought-out magazine; hopefully later issues will improve.

Agamon

Adventurer
Sure, it's pretty light on crunch. But, it's also a first issue, so, I'd expect it to be light on crunch. It'll get there eventually.

Hopefully it won't. I think they made it more fluffy intentionally. If, for example, they were to do an article with a few new spells, how exactly do I go about using that?

Really, that's been a problem with Dragon mag since it's inception (excepting 4e and DDI, I suppose). I say leave the crunchy rules for the UA and player companion pdfs. Keep the mag app for fluffy stuff that's read once and done.

Remove ads

Remove ads