Updated errata will be released within the next month!

ad_hoc

(they/them)
It's important to remember that the 4E Monk once had a bonus action Water Whip.

The errata was a rule change. But we all know it wasn't meant to be like that so we're fine with it. There are a bunch of other things too, many of which I think they left alone because they decided they were fine. I am betting they didn't mean for Agonizing Blast to affect all of the attacks from Eldritch Blast but ended up leaving it as is because it's fine.

So yeah, I'm okay with errata that is in line with the original design intentions, even if it has a big impact.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Amusingly, I ran 4e for a couple years and had two warlocks at my table and had no idea. Which is probably a good argument against the errata/patches. After a while, you have no idea what has and has not changed, and there might be a huge disconnect between someone using the errata and someone not. Imagine someone showing up at an AL table with a character pre-overhaul... :/

This made me look closer at the 4e errata document: you can't even use it in your game. It's really more of a change log. (Likely because reprinting all the revisions would make it too long.) Without the revised numbers in the defunct character builder, this is of no use.

Depends on when you played. The overhauls happened in the last year of 4e publication, IIRC. Anyway, such an overhaul would be a bad idea in 5e, perhaps, unless they released the new version as a pdf for free, but 4e was a different beastie.

As an aside, I reckon the 3e warlock had some of the most flavourful abilities. There was one that let you detach your hand so it could crawl around on its own, and another that let you pluck out your eye so it could fly through the air and let you see around corners and things. They seem to have abandoned that kind of creepiness for both the 4e and 5e versions.

I do miss the rad flavor of the 3e invocations. I only ever played a 3e Warlock in Neverwinter Nights 2, but I wanted to play one on paper (other than not loving the system itself). When 4e came out I was stoked, but a little bummed that Warlock didn’t have that same creep factor.

Remove ads