Free Updated One-Page RPG, "Eldritch Express"

Devlog - Tweaks for Clarity and Challenge

Hey everyone, Fawkes here with a fresh update for Eldritch Express. I've made some adjustments to improve the clarity of the rules and ramp up the challenge based on your feedback.

First, I renamed the difficulty levels from "Normal" and "Hard" to "Easy" and "Normal". The original names were a bit ambiguous, so I wanted terms that better communicate the intended experience. Easy is for learning the ropes, while Normal cranks things up to put your skills to the test.

I changed the stat names from 'Cool' and 'Skill' to instead be 'Finesse' and 'Power'. They were too ambiguous.

I also rewrote the combat damage rules to be more straightforward. The previous wording was confusing some folks, so damage is now clearly defined to indicate that you deal damage for every full success achieved. No more question marks there!

One change for challenge was removing the Pycothris boss encounter from Easy mode. He could catch new players by surprise, so he'll now only appear on Normal where his might is more appropriate. I also boosted Pycothris' dice pools and gave all enemies an extra die to up the intensity.

I also changed Environmental Eevets to deal damage based on the card's value instead of a flat damage value, since traps felt very unimpactful.

Lastly, I restructured some of the rule sections based on your feedback. The flow should hopefully be smoother now, especially for new players learning the ins and outs of Eldritch Express.

Let me know how these changes feel from your end! I'm always listening for ways to improve the game. Your input as players is hugely valuable, so keep the feedback coming.

[You can get it for free here: Eldritch Express by Measured Descent Games]

Remove ads