D&D 5E [Updated with cover!] The D&D Book Is.... Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft!

Yesterday's hints that a new D&D book would be announced today have born fruit -- we now have a product description and a title! It's a Ravenloft setting book, with tools and new rules for horror-themed games, and new horror-themed character options. I'll update this post with a product image as soon as one is revealed -- the official announcement allegedly comes today!

CF44D3FC-AF00-4860-A655-B64EE5F77949.png

Here’s some info on Dr. Rudolph Van Richten! He's a vampire hunter (he appeared in Curse of Strahd, and he's been around in the Ravenloft setting for decades) and is basically Van Helsing to Strahd's Dracula. His name appears on a whole pile of 2nd Edition D&D sourcebooks, all titled "Van Richten's Guide to.... Vampires/Ghosts/Werebeasts, etc."

The Ravenloft setting, of course, features a bunch of 'domains' other than Barovia itself, each ruled by its own Dark Lord. Strahd rules Barovia, but even other signature D&D villains like Lord Soth and Vecna have been placed in Ravenloft ruling dread domains of their own, along with an assortment of other domain rulers.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 11.07.39 AM.png

The Mist Beckons

2.png

1.jpeg

The image below is not of the upcoming book, but of one of the many D&D 2nd Edition Van Richten's Guides.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 11.19.04 AM.png

Last edited:

I am happy with the return of the setting, but I wonder when the metaplot is going to continue. Is canon the one published for 3.5. by White Wolf?

If Renegade Games Studios is going to publish 5th Ed of World of Darkness and TTRPGs of other famous franchises (G.I.Joe, My Little Pony, Power Rangers, Transformers).... Could it be hired as an outsourcer company to publish Ravenloft 5th Ed?

I remember something metinoned by LPJ Design about my crazy suggestion of a crossover Ravenloft and Obsidian Apocalypse.

Could the return of Ravenloft be good for the publishers of the setting "Shadows over Vathak" or "Kaidan"?

Abstruse

Legend
If Renegade Games Studios is going to publish 5th Ed of World of Darkness and TTRPGs of other famous franchises (G.I.Joe, My Little Pony, Power Rangers, Transformers).... Could it be hired as an outsourcer company to publish Ravenloft 5th Ed?
Nothing stopping them from doing it right now. Ravenloft is available to use on DM's Guild, you just have to abide by their terms.

I doubt that WotC will hand out specific licenses though as they haven't done so for anything else. Outside of DM's Guild, nobody's publishing anything for Eberron or Forgotten Realms so no reason to think they'd do something different for Ravenloft.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Every time I'm thinking I'm about done with D&D 5e, they pull the same trick....sigh...where's my wallet.

I still would have preferred something like more Vistani-focused as narrator instead of that generic Van Helsing with the serial number filed off, but this will be a nice addition to my collection for sure.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
This is a great release that I think will prove popular, and has been the top of people's wish lists for a while.

Not for me as I don't do horror games, but definitely a welcome addition.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases