D&D 5E [Updated with cover!] The D&D Book Is.... Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft!

Yesterday's hints that a new D&D book would be announced today have born fruit -- we now have a product description and a title! It's a Ravenloft setting book, with tools and new rules for horror-themed games, and new horror-themed character options. I'll update this post with a product image as soon as one is revealed -- the official announcement allegedly comes today...

Yesterday's hints that a new D&D book would be announced today have born fruit -- we now have a product description and a title! It's a Ravenloft setting book, with tools and new rules for horror-themed games, and new horror-themed character options. I'll update this post with a product image as soon as one is revealed -- the official announcement allegedly comes today!

CF44D3FC-AF00-4860-A655-B64EE5F77949.png

Here’s some info on Dr. Rudolph Van Richten! He's a vampire hunter (he appeared in Curse of Strahd, and he's been around in the Ravenloft setting for decades) and is basically Van Helsing to Strahd's Dracula. His name appears on a whole pile of 2nd Edition D&D sourcebooks, all titled "Van Richten's Guide to.... Vampires/Ghosts/Werebeasts, etc."

The Ravenloft setting, of course, features a bunch of 'domains' other than Barovia itself, each ruled by its own Dark Lord. Strahd rules Barovia, but even other signature D&D villains like Lord Soth and Vecna have been placed in Ravenloft ruling dread domains of their own, along with an assortment of other domain rulers.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 11.07.39 AM.png

The Mist Beckons

2.png

1.jpeg

The image below is not of the upcoming book, but of one of the many D&D 2nd Edition Van Richten's Guides.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 11.19.04 AM.png

dave2008

Legend
I was just hoping that 5E was far enough along in its life cycle that we were going to start seeing some 2E style rules overhauls to get the flavor right for the subgenre, and Ravenloft being both different in tone and assumed era than standard D&D, was a prime candidate. I wasn't expecting an AiME level overhaul (though that would be cool, too) but a concerted effort to show just what D&D can do with a few substantive tweaks.
That would be interesting, but I don't think WotC is interested in doing that. Lots of great options in the 3PP / DMsGuild market though.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
Van Richtens Monster Hunters Guide was an updated 3 vol compendium of the VR Guides that was really good, wish Id kept my copies. Good stuff in there even for non RL campaigns.
Maybe I will look it up if I want more material after this book comes out. Thanks!

I gave the vid a watch. New darklords and big changes to previous domains. Falkovnia losing Vlad Drakov and instead going with a zombie apocalypse theme for example.
This is exactly what I was hoping for. Big changes, new darklords, entirely new domains. Pretty much the only way I'd end up buying this, and it sounds like they did it. Smart move from my perspective and I'm now actually kind of excited about this.

Remove ads

Remove ads