• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Urban Arcana Hijacked Game

DrZombie

First Post
Keia said:
Simon dressed casually (not as an officer) and for the season, concealing his sidearm and packing his laptop and the rest of his gear in the car. With that accomplished, he headed to the library.

OOC: Sorry, missed the update. :( :eek:
[ooc : a bit unclear wich library you're going to, I'll assume it's the university library, doesn't make much difference]
The weather has turned up nice this afternoon. After some difficulties finding a parking spot, Simon heads out into town. The saturday market is in full business, and people are crowding the streets. The smell of roasted chicken from one of the stands makes your stomach growl in an emberassing way. People are on a general shopping spree, it seems. The noise of their talking and laughter cheer you up after a depressing night. The library is on a large square, as usual in Belgium it's lined with cafés and restaurants. People are sitting outside enjoying the early spring weather, allready drinking their beers and discussing politics, weather, sporst and the women who've opened their summer closet and are showing a fair amount of their "goods".

The library itself is an imposing gothic building, but seems to be recently restaurated, it's interior renewed.

bibc.jpg

It's fairly quiet as most students have left town for the weekend, and as you approach the main desk, an attractive young woman looks up, and smiles a genuinly friendly smile at you.​
"Goede namiddag, mijnheer, mijn naam is Marlies. Waarmee kan ik u helpen?" "Oh, excuse me sir. My name is Marlies, how may I help you?" she says in that typical south-african-english, as soon as she realises you don't speak dutch.​

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Simon got out of his car and grabbed his laptop briefcase. He looked around are parking lot - still feeling on edge. The smells from the restaurants and cafes, and the conversation in them put his mind at ease. When his looked over the university library, Simon was impressed by the size and well . . . the stature of the building.

Marlies said:
"Goede namiddag, mijnheer, mijn naam is Marlies. Waarmee kan ik u helpen?" "Oh, excuse me sir. My name is Marlies, how may I help you?" she says in that typical south-african-english, as soon as she realises you don't speak dutch.

"Good morning, miss," Simon replied. "I need to take a look at the reserved stacks, if I may. The subject is voodoo . . . who would I need to talk with to get that kind of information?"

Simon will flash his badge if necessary to get the help and information he's looking for.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Simon Coville:

Simon pondered for a minute or two, wondering why the woman was so quiet all of a sudden. He turned slightly and checked his zipper. Nope, it was up. Simon then turned around to check behind himself to make certain a leopard man wasn't approaching and Simon had missed it.

Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post
sorry guys. Work work work.

"That would be me, sir. If you'll follow me to the reading room, I'll get you the books you need. Anything in particular, or just general introductions and take it from there?."
You follow her, trying to keep your eyes focused on the library instead of her pretty behind.
groteleeszaal.jpg

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Librarian said:
"That would be me, sir. If you'll follow me to the reading room, I'll get you the books you need. Anything in particular, or just general introductions and take it from there?."

"Generally, dealing with voodoo," Simon said as he watched who was walking in front of himmore than where he was going. When he bumped into a shelf rounding a corner, he shook himself, looked around, then followed more closely. As he neared the librarian, he looked around for listeners as they walked and said quietly, "More to the point anything on the Rainbow Serpent, Papa Ghede, or anything related to either of those things."

DrZombie

First Post
Simon, you quietly read away the afternoon, losing yourself in the literature.

The afternoon is indeed well spent, because the reference works give you alot more background then the internet ever could. Voodoo is a patchwork of different african gods, intermingled, converted, adapted. The various works disagree on several parts, but the main line is that the various gods have two different aspects, one "good" and one "evil". Both Papa Ghede and Baron Samedi are two aspects of the same being that guards the border between life and death. Papa Ghede is a clown, a prankster, and intermingles death, humour and sexuality. Baron Samedi is the "evil" side, dark, destructive, malicious. The followers of both side are in an eternal conflict, both fighting for supremacy.

Both sides are at their strongest in their Honfour, a kind of sacred room where they pracrice their strongest magic. One of their strongest magics is to become possessed, or to allow others to become possessed by their Loa, their gods.

Lost in reading you fail to notice that it's getting dark outside, and when Marlies quietly informs you that the library is closing, you look up to see that the library is empty. It feels as if your stomach has started to digest itself out of desperation, and a fierce cramp in your back tells you that you've been sitting in the same position for far too long.

Just as you stand outside wondering which of the many restaurants to choose from, your mobile rings.

Last edited:

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Simon Coville (Smart 3)

Simon was fascinated by the various viewpoints on voodoo and the respective gods. The idea of two individuals representing two sides of the same coin was quite thought provoking. When Marlies nudged his shoulder, Simon about jumped out of his shoes . . . ‘It was dark? . . . when did that happen? . . . oww, my back . . . yeah, it’s been that long,’ Simon thought.

DrZombie said:
Just as you stand outside wondering which of the many restaurants to choose from, your mobile rings.

Simon opened the phone and looked around, “Simon Coville, at your service.” He tried to see if he had the sensation of being watched.

Festy_Dog

First Post
Jennifer is on the other end of the line.

"Simon? I've got us a lead on Papa Ghede: 'The Black Mamba'. I'll meet you at the library then we can go together, apparently the place is a bit on the dangerous side," Jennifer says as she turns the ignition, "One other thing, I didn't have that feeling of being watched on the way here."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads